What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who were you surprised never made it?

Sure, we all find the diamond in the rough every now and then, especially in the lower grades

But who did you think was going to be a gun and turned in to an average player or worse?

Anasta sort of fits the bill for me. I remember his debut for the dogs and I thought this kid is the next Fittler and Daley combined. Yeh um....didn’t quite kick on to that extent

I was also wrong about Dave Taylor. Got sucked in to the hype, had the build to be anything and wasted it

Idris falls in to the same bucket

Timbo

Staff member
Leon Bott

The dog shot he put on when he switched to Union was really the end of him.

We had a bloke named Jermaine Ale come through the grades in the mid 2000s, first with the Chooks then FG for us. Everything pointed to him as the next Meninga, then just fizzled.

Justin Carney is another. Had a decent run at FG but was never the player it looked like he’d be.

gUt

Coach
Carney went alright in super league for a while I thought.

Brett Seymour
Sione Faumuina

Walt Flanigan

Referee
We had a bloke named Jermaine Ale come through the grades in the mid 2000s, first with the Chooks then FG for us. Everything pointed to him as the next Meninga, then just fizzled.

Lol that was the first name that came to my mind.

mozza91

Coach
We had a few at the Knights who I thought would be very good. A lot of them never even made First Grade:
Cory Paterson, Terence SeuSeu, Ethan Cook, Jeremy Ma, Con Mika, Jake Finn, Tyler Sullivan to name just a few.

I always thought Joel Romelo and Michael Parker-Walshe would make it and the never did.

For the Dragons - I'd suggest Brett Firman.

Firman as I recall he was highly regarded and our "halfback solution" when we'd not had a true halfback since whenever (we'd had 5/8's playing halfback etc with the JV). Was considered a hope for rookie of the year in 2003, played a few seasons in top grade, injured, then shifted to the roosters and cowboys playing a handful of NRL games and really never appeared on the radar. Now my only recollection of him is not being slapped by Brownie.

Outside the Dragons.. i'd suggest Owen Craigie. Phenomenal talent and rated by the Johns boys as one of the most talented footballers they'd played with. As an opposition fan, I'd expected and would loved to have seen him go onto bigger things but wasnt to be.

I like watching NITV when they have the Aboriginal Knockout carnivals on, and Owen Craigie is still in there at times - and although he's a real big lad these days he's still brilliant to watch. If you haven't seen these carnivals - do yourself a favour.

Saxon

Bench
Tasesa Lavea - went from rookie of the year to gone
'Ces showed real talent and plenty of promise. Storm's rookie of the year in 2000, then his career went to shit just about the time Muppet took over as coach (I don't think it was a coincidence). In 2002 he had an injury wrecked year at the Beagles, and that was it.