What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who were you surprised never made it?

roofromoz

First Grade
Vaipana Tia Kilifi - the next big thing at Penrith about 5 years ago. Quite injury prone unfortunately and never cracked NRL. Last I heard he was playing in the Queensland Cup.

Fangs

Coach
The dog shot he put on when he switched to Union was really the end of him.

We had a bloke named Jermaine Ale come through the grades in the mid 2000s, first with the Chooks then FG for us. Everything pointed to him as the next Meninga, then just fizzled.

Justin Carney is another. Had a decent run at FG but was never the player it looked like he’d be.

Ahh Ale. Thats a familiar name.

Maurice 'Bobby' Blair from the Panthers. Was the complete package, just ate too many cheeseburgers.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Jacob Loko, the best player to come through the NYC in 10 years at Parra.. it was literally pass him the ball and he would score a try.

Built like Sonny-Bill on steroids and was just freakishly strong for his age. Came into first grade at 18 when we were even more poo than now and he physically dominated most players he came up against.

Could have been anything but was just a brain dead idiot.. did have injuries which didn’t help but more the fact he was just lazy at Parra then went to the Dogs and just lost his shit off the field, got arrested a couple of times.

I read he signed a contract with Manly this year, not sure how he’s been going but still only 25 so you never know.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Jacob Loko, the best player to come through the NYC in 10 years at Parra.. it was literally pass him the ball and he would score a try.

Built like Sonny-Bill on steroids and was just freakishly strong for his age. Came into first grade at 18 when we were even more poo than now and he physically dominated most players he came up against.

Could have been anything but was just a brain dead idiot.. did have injuries which didn’t help but more the fact he was just lazy at Parra then went to the Dogs and just lost his shit off the field, got arrested a couple of times.

I read he signed a contract with Manly this year, not sure how he’s been going but still only 25 so you never know.

Fast forward 5 years and swap Moses Sulis name in there

horrie hastings

First Grade
Todd Riley at fullback for the Roosters went from tearaway leader in Rookie of the Year halfway through his 1st season to never seen again, literally, I don't think he even finished the season.

I had forgotten about Todd Riley, your right, I cannot remember finishing the 1985 season, just checked him out and he played up to round 18 in 1985 then Garry Wurth took over from fullback, Todd did play the first game in the 1986 season but was never seen after that. I remember him scoring a brilliant try up at Penrith Park in 1985 where he intercepted a pass near half way then chipped over the top and scored, he kicked 7 goals that day too.i have a couple of games with Todd on tape against the Bulldogs and the Tigers in 1985’ in the Dogs game he makes a huge break and was mowed down close to the line by I think it was Steve Mortimer in a copy book tackle.

Last edited:

Exsilium

First Grade
Tim Smith. Had some silky skills and played some great games for Parra. The halfback curse was finally going to be broken and .....then it was gone! Farkin spewin.

Talking of spewing. One night at the Castle Hill Tavern I went to the bathroom to find Tim Smith chucking up everywhere. On the doors, walls...everywhere.

I had to help him out. He was such a mess.

AJB1102

First Grade

No shit he's only 25. If he's not on the Brett Dallas diet he's still worth a crack for someone.

Premiership winner
NSW ,Australian and Tongan rep player
Future premiership winner with the Eels
Still only 29years old

What a wasted career

I think he played 1 game and scored for the mighty Cronulla Sharks so all worth those little things you mention for that honour.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Glen Fisiahii
Elijah Niko
Dylan Collier
Carlos Tuimavave

Granted a couple have gone to decent union careers, thought they would have been better then they were in league. Could chuck the Lousi Brothers in there too