What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who were you surprised never made it?

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Fast forward 5 years and swap Moses Sulis name in there
Couple of tigs under 20's that carved up down there but never kicked on imo were Joel luani and Jacob Miller.

Especially Miller, he looked like he could have been anything at one stage. Any idea what happened to those blokes Vic?

simmo05

Bench
Daniel Vidot was another
He had all the tools and I’ll die on the Vidot hill alone when I say if he had even slightly below average football iq, rather than all time low, he’d have a long successful nrl career

He big, fast, agile, strong, an incredible finisher. He was made to be an NRL winger
But he just made way too many dumb mistakes on and off the park. He struggled with focus, was too lazy and I’m not sure he was that passionate about playing RL

Nic Cotric is basically the same player just with incredible football iq. Vidot had all the tools to be a Cotric level footballer
Im pretty sure i heard an interview with Vidot on abc on the weekend, and he had just signed a deal with the WWE?

butchmcdick

Immortal
Glen Fisiahii
Elijah Niko
Dylan Collier
Carlos Tuimavave

Granted a couple have gone to decent union careers, thought they would have been better then they were in league. Could chuck the Lousi Brothers in there too

So many talented under twenties at th warriors that go on to f**k all

Such a shame

For the cowboys Gideon Geia Mosby was at one stage billed as the fastest man at the club

Played some first grade and got dropped

Now busy f**king it all up off the paddock

https://www.zerotackle.com/cowboys-stand-down-young-winger-34529/

North Queensland youngster Gideon Gela-Mosby has been stood down by the Cowboys, after he was charged by police for driving without a licence.

Last year, Gela-Mosby was disqualified from obtaining a licence, and was caught driving near the Cowboys’ home ground in May earlier this year.

With the Cowboys now aware of the situation, North Queensland football manager Peter Parr told the Townsville Bulletin Gela-Mosby would be stood down given his upcoming court appearance.

“The North Queensland Cowboys have stood down NRL squad member Gideon Gela-Mosby from playing duties this weekend pending a court appearance in Townsville next week,” Parr told townsvillebulletin.com.au.

“The NRL Integrity Unit is aware of the matter and the club will finalise internal investigations after the conclusion of the judicial process.”

Gela-Mosby was scheduled to attend court last Thursday, but was “away on work” and asked the Townsville Magistrates Court to adjourn the matter.

The 20-year-old scored a double last weekend for the Northern Pride in the Queensland Cup.

Gela-Mosby has played four first grade games for the Cowboys, with all four appearances coming last season.

For the Dragons - I'd suggest Brett Firman.

Firman as I recall he was highly regarded and our "halfback solution" when we'd not had a true halfback since whenever (we'd had 5/8's playing halfback etc with the JV). Was considered a hope for rookie of the year in 2003, played a few seasons in top grade, injured, then shifted to the roosters and cowboys playing a handful of NRL games and really never appeared on the radar. Now my only recollection of him is not being slapped by Brownie.

Outside the Dragons.. i'd suggest Owen Craigie. Phenomenal talent and rated by the Johns boys as one of the most talented footballers they'd played with. As an opposition fan, I'd expected and would loved to have seen him go onto bigger things but wasnt to be.

I like watching NITV when they have the Aboriginal Knockout carnivals on, and Owen Craigie is still in there at times - and although he's a real big lad these days he's still brilliant to watch. If you haven't seen these carnivals - do yourself a favour.
I was going to suggest Firman as well.
He came through the Sharks lower grades and looked a world beater. Sharks sign Kimmorley so he goes to St. George.
He was pretty average after that.

Vee

First Grade
I had forgotten about Todd Riley, your right, I cannot remember finishing the 1985 season, just checked him out and he played up to round 18 in 1985 then Garry Wurth took over from fullback, Todd did play the first game in the 1986 season but was never seen after that. I remember him scoring a brilliant try up at Penrith Park in 1985 where he intercepted a pass near half way then chipped over the top and scored, he kicked 7 goals that day too.i have a couple of games with Todd on tape against the Bulldogs and the Tigers in 1985’ in the Dogs game he makes a huge break and was mowed down close to the line by I think it was Steve Mortimer in a copy book tackle.
Not sure but I remember a chip kick after catching the kick-off, I think he scored, too long ago to be sure. Garry Wurth was a good player but not up to Riley's standard.

carcharias

Immortal
Premiership winner
NSW ,Australian and Tongan rep player
Future premiership winner with the Eels
Still only 29years old

What a wasted career

could’ve been much more.
Played like about 3 games for Aus 6 or 7 years ago.
I thought he would go on to be a regular but he turned into utter rubbish and his size and skills were wasted IMO
That suprised me... which is the whole gist of this thread.

Last edited:

First Grade
Beau Henry, 2009 NYC Player of the year and was named as the Halfback in the 2009 NYC Team of the year. Went on to sign with the Knights for 2011, was moved to Titans Mid season of 2011. Titans mid season 2011 to 2014, signed a 1 year contract with St George for 2015 but never played an NRL match. Ended up playing in total 14 NRL matches. Now playing for the Wentworth Magpies.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Couple of tigs under 20's that carved up down there but never kicked on imo were Joel luani and Jacob Miller.

Especially Miller, he looked like he could have been anything at one stage. Any idea what happened to those blokes Vic?

Millers playing in the ESL, I think fullback these days. I always thought he went overseas too early, should have stuck it out for another year or two. 20 is too early for a halfback to give up. I also heard he had a bit of an attitude problem.

Luanis playing for Dogs ISP side. He was pretty ordinary in first grade. Played hooker when Farah was injured. Probably more of a second rower as was a great defender.

coolumsharkie

Referee
The dog shot he put on when he switched to Union was really the end of him.

We had a bloke named Jermaine Ale come through the grades in the mid 2000s, first with the Chooks then FG for us. Everything pointed to him as the next Meninga, then just fizzled.

Justin Carney is another. Had a decent run at FG but was never the player it looked like he’d be.

His NRL RL career ended playing for the Sharks one arvo, he got absolutely poleaxed by someone and nearly cried, was never seen or heard of again.

Who got the next Joey tag?

Joe Williams? One good game and then turned in to a total spud

As far as the next big thing tag is concerned look no further than the great Karlos Filiga.

In 2007, Filiga was labelled by his manager as "the next Sonny Bill Williams".[3][4] The Sharks won a bidding war in late 2007 for Filiga, committing to a A$600,000 contract over three years. Filiga, previously a Bulldogs junior playing for the Chester Hill Hornets, didn't make his debut in first-grade in 2007 as he spent most of the season sidelined with chest and foot injuries.[5]

I think he spent 10 minutes in FG.

Edit: My apologies, it was actually 11 minutes in total costing us $20 000 a minute for his career. Good times!

Last edited:
His NRL RL career ended playing for the Sharks one arvo, he got absolutely poleaxed by someone and nearly cried, was never seen or heard of again.

As far as the next big thing tag is concerned look no further than the great Karlos Filiga.

In 2007, Filiga was labelled by his manager as "the next Sonny Bill Williams".[3][4] The Sharks won a bidding war in late 2007 for Filiga, committing to a A$600,000 contract over three years. Filiga, previously a Bulldogs junior playing for the Chester Hill Hornets, didn't make his debut in first-grade in 2007 as he spent most of the season sidelined with chest and foot injuries.[5]

I think he spent 10 minutes in FG.

Edit: My apologies, it was actually 11 minutes in total costing us $20 000 a minute for his career. Good times!
This case has actually expanded on something not quite true.
The 600k throws everyone into a tailspin.
He was to earn 200k per season if he played so many games in first grade. It never happened and he left mid contract so it's a little fallacy from reports.

coolumsharkie

Referee
This case has actually expanded on something not quite true.
The 600k throws everyone into a tailspin.
He was to earn 200k per season if he played so many games in first grade. It never happened and he left mid contract so it's a little fallacy from reports.

Aah, but yes he was still a dud for all the SBW hype.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Not sure but I remember a chip kick after catching the kick-off, I think he scored, too long ago to be sure. Garry Wurth was a good player but not up to Riley's standard.

The try up at Penrith Park was definately off an intercept then he chipped over the top to score, I was sitting behind the in goal area where he scored and thinking what a great try it was at the time. Todd was a good running fullback, he played 1 or 2 games at five eight at the Roosters also, I will have to dig out the couple of games I have when he played, the one against the Tigers I remember him having a great game, Easts bombed two or three tries that day that would have been spectacular tries that went through many sets of hands. Garry Wurth played five eight in his early days at Easts but really made fullback his position when he switched to there.

Latest posts