What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Proposes International Shake Up

yakstorm

First Grade
Whilst some of what the NRL is putting forward feels like they are trying to de-rail Denver by giving the Kiwis another Mid-Year approach and just throwing out ideas, the good news in all this is:
  • The NRL is opening its wallet to put towards Tests and Tests beyond just the Kangaroos.
  • The NRL is actually taking an interest in Internationals
  • The Kiwis now have multiple bidders for their Mid & End of Season windows
We can almost guarantee that the 2019 Nines will happen now (thankfully) and some of the other ideas aren't horrible, just need finessing.

ie. Oceania / Pacific Cup needs PNG, but great to see the comccon back on the table, same we need to get the Pacific nations across to Europe outside of World Cups.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Wrong...aside from aus & eng no one has anything planned,bi-laterally, past 2020....then it's the world cup...then the RLIF structure kicks in..
So the RFL and NZRL don't plan to continue playing games in America after 2020! f**king BS! What about the much applauded build up to the 2025WC that Moore sports is supposedly planning, are you suggesting that after 2020 that won't include international fixtures? Wasn't there even talk of all sorts of tournaments being held in North America!?

Doesn't matter anyway as you've concede the point, you've admitted that both the NRL and RFL are planning their own things independent of the schedule that hasn't actually scheduled anything! In other words you've admitted that both the most powerful RL playing nations are in fact ignoring the schedule and doing their own thing, and that the schedule failed to schedule their internationals calendars from the time period of 2021 to 2025, making it a terrible international calendar...

All "the RLIF global events structure" is is a wish list at this point, a wish list of what in theory they'd like to do over that period with their own international tournaments and international tournaments that they'd like to create, it is not a comprehensive international calendar that has been organised with the cooperation of all the necessary parties ahead of time so everybody has something to do and knows what they are doing over the defined period, and if you can't see that then there's no helping you.

Stop making shit up Dane...you've been told about this before lad

I haven't made a damned thing up and you f**king know it, you've just got a chip on your shoulder cause I think differently to you on some subjects and you think therefore that you know better than me and that cause of my opinions on the probably only handful of things that we actually disagree with each other on a fundamental level that everything I say must therefore but wrong and/or stupid and I'm to be derided and hounded out of the conversation.

BTW who exactly the f**k do you think you are to tell me to do anything anyway?

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
NRL’s draft proposal...

Some of the self interest here is next level. I wonder when we'll see Super League put out their proposal...

"Shake up" is very apt because it seems they've just put all names of the nations they can remember in one cup, then in another cup they've put a few "stand-alone fixture"s and "four nation tournament"s and did the old lucky dip.

deluded pom?

Coach
NRL’s draft proposal...

This guy thinks it's a set in stone calendar. He doesn't realise it's only a proposal at the moment. Please tell me he isn't a "journalist". I've just googled him and apparently he IS a journalist! Don't they teach journalists to read and comprehend any more?

morningstar

Juniors
This guy thinks it's a set in stone calendar. He doesn't realise it's only a proposal at the moment. Please tell me he isn't a "journalist". I've just googled him and apparently he IS a journalist! Don't they teach journalists to read and comprehend any more?

You’d think the giant watermark would have tipped him off.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Excited to see Great Britain again, some of my best memories of international football were the ashes series in 2001 and 2003.

Have 0 interest in any nines tournaments. Imo we don’t play enough proper tests as it is, and don’t want to waste time with a 9 tournament.

Defiantly a number of areas that proposal could be improved but the biggest positive for me is there are actually tests planned for the future. Whether it happens or not we will see

Springs09

Juniors
Did they consult anyone about what they may be doing, or even google search? The Great Britain tour for 2019 had been outlined for what 3 or 4 years now?

Four Nations idea is a step in the right direction but still shortsighted. Ireland, Scotland, Wales?

latingringo101

Juniors
This is what I think of the proposal

The Good

A new Oceania Cup in 2019 featuring round robin matches between New Zealand, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga to be played during June and October.

Retention of the traditional Australia v New Zealand Tests.

England to tour New Zealand for a three Test series in 2022.

International Nines Tournament to be held at the end of the 2019 season.

Bad

Kangaroo/GB tours

Not including other International teams

Undecided

Split Four Nations in 2020.

Overall I think it's good the NRL are talking up International Rugby league, however I hope the NRL doesn't become the "do it my way or no way at all" approach.

However a step in the right direction compared to previous years

adamkungl

Immortal
I was gonna do a good and bad thing.. but really it's hard to see much good in this, except for the fact that at least Internationals are on the agenda.

The deliberate exclusion of PNG to shoehorn NZ into the not-quite-Pacific Cup, to put an end to Denver, ruins the whole thing.

The Kangaroo tour is proposed in direct opposition to the RFL's already proposed Lions tour, which is a flawed idea itself but the lack of communication is baffling.
The kangaroos touring next year is however a far better plan than the Lions touring.
1. It means no conflict with the home nations for top talent in Qualifiers.
2. It means the Kangaroos aren't in England in consecutive summers (the poor dears probably wouldn't handle the travel)

One thing I do like
The dual 4 Nations tournaments featuring the 8 WC quarter finalists*
*except the odd inclusion of France over Lebanon, but apparently Lebanon have severe issues.
This is a solid idea as the 2nd RLIF world event. The main concern is the timing
It gives big stages to 2nd tier nations and sets up major rematches between the Big 3.
It can be played during Qualifiers with no conflict as all the participating nations are already qualified.
I would seed it so that there are no rematches of the previous WC finals. Eg.
AUS hosting Tonga, PNG,
ENG hosting Fiji, Samoa, Lebanon

adamkungl

Immortal
Here's something I put together using the RLIFs plan mixed with the NRLs plan, AKA if they actually coordinated with each other

MID-YEAR
Denver NZ v Eng
Tonga v Samoa
PNG v Fiji
(all other member nations to play bi-lateral tests)

TESTS
Aus v NZ home and away
Pacific playoff
England v Australia
Australia v Pacific winner
(All other member nations to play bilateral tests or localised tournaments in preparation for WC Qualifiers)

TOURS
NZ tour of UK and Europe (alternate cycle: GB Lions tour of Aus, NZ and Pacific)

MID-YEAR
USA test NZ v Eng
Round 1 of Pacific Cup
Round 1 of Euro Cup

TESTS
Aus v NZ home and away

TOURS
Australia tour of UK and North America
Lebanon to tour with Australia

REGIONAL CUPS
Pacific Cup (6N: NZ Tonga Samoa PNG Fiji CookIsl)
Euro Cup (WCQ) (5N: France Italy Ireland Wales Scotland)
Americas Cup (WCQ) (4N: USA Canada Jamaica Chile)
Euro B (WCQ)
Euro C (WCQ)

MID-YEAR
USA test NZ v Eng

TESTS
Australia v NZ home and away
Australia v England

NORTHERN + SOUTHERN 4Nations TOURNAMENTS featuring previous WC Quarter Finalists
AUS hosting Tonga, PNG, NZ
ENG hosting Fiji, Samoa, Lebanon

WC QUALIFYING FINALS
Euro Finals
Euro v America Playoff
Asia-Pacific v MEA-Africa Playoff

EMERGING NATIONS invitational featuring developing nations who have not progressed to Qualifying playoffs.

siv

First Grade
Minor adjustment would be to include PNG and Cooks in a 6N Oceania Cup

Or setup a Tier 2 Oceania Cup to act as a qualifier

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I dont understand why everyone is getting so pissy about the ARLC being "self-interested" in their proposal. Honestly, this looks like a GREAT first step for international RL...

Every nation will probably produce something similar ("we want this, we dont want this") and they will negotiate together to create the official calendar. The ARLC arent beng selfish, they are saying what they want to happen for the Kangaroos. It would be a bigger problem if they did try to speak for other nations.

Really, the only certainty you can take from this release is that the ARLC is taking international RL seriously. Thats a good thing...

Reactions: siv

jim_57

Staff member
I dont understand why everyone is getting so pissy about the ARLC being "self-interested" in their proposal. Honestly, this looks like a GREAT first step for international RL...

Every nation will probably produce something similar ("we want this, we dont want this") and they will negotiate together to create the official calendar. The ARLC arent beng selfish, they are saying what they want to happen for the Kangaroos. It would be a bigger problem if they did try to speak for other nations.

Really, the only certainty you can take from this release is that the ARLC is taking international RL seriously. Thats a good thing...

Like "4 Nations tournament, Northern Hemisphere - England, France, PNG & Fiji" ?

Or even

"Oceania Cup - NZ, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji" with the key word "in June..". In other words killing the Denver test.

No harm them floating ideas for what they want for the Kangaroos, this has gone way past that though.

adamkungl

Immortal

Haha, first step? This is a first step for International League like the WAFL is a first step for women's sport.
The only reason the NRL is suddenly interested is because New Zealand had the nerve to play somewhere further away from Moore Park HQ than Campbeltown. This is nothing more than a ploy to prevent that happening again.

As for only planning for the Kangaroos - there seem to be a lot of other nations in those plans, and the ones for NZ and PNG in particular are obviously not in those nations best interests.
They also have announced a Kangaroo tour for the same year the RFL announced (12 months ago) a Lions tour.

jim_57

Staff member
Don't want to go too overboard on structures again but it would be good to see an International cycle built around the spine of these events/series every World Cup cycle.
  • World Cup
  • Confed/Intercontinental Cup (6-8 teams)
  • Full Pacific Cup
  • Full Euro Cup
  • England/GB tour Pacific
  • Australia or NZ tour Europe
With tours I think it should be set up so people know in adavnce and each nation hosts an Ashes & Baskerville every 8 years.

2022 - England host NZ
2024 - Australia host England
2026 - England host Australia
2028 - NZ host England

Repeat.

That gets it to a stage where Tonga, France, PNG, Wales etc play up to 3 major tournaments in each 4 year cycle, plus it still gives Australia & England their nostalgia hit with tours.

adamkungl

Immortal
A centrally hosted 8N never sat really well with me.

It would be viewed as either superior to the World Cup, or redundant, neither of which are good.

It needs some unique, differentiating feature.