What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perspective

Shredder

Juniors
Interesting perspective. Nice to read about the defence as well:

This comes from: http://www.nospam47.com/au/league/n...-defence-nrl-ladder/6ny56t37zziq19ftqu0wjb2at

SALARY CAP
The Tigers' cap is more or less in tip-top condition. They aren’t over the cap. They aren’t paying any considerable coin to players at other clubs - an issue they long dealt with under Sheens - they don’t have a small few players hogging up the cap and they have depth in nearly all positions across the park, which is also new for the club. The Tigers' cap has arguably never looked better.

SQUAD
Cleary opted for a team of team players, and not a side dominated by a few big stars. Early on it proved to be brilliant, but as the season hit the midway point, the team has looked tired and out-enthused in many games. One star player could be enough to spark the side. New signing Moses Mbye could just prove to be that player, while Farah's return could also pick up the team.

ATTACK
When compared to the same point in every other season (ie – after playing 16 games) the 2018 Tigers side has the second-worst attack, better than only the 2013 outfit. After 16 games in 2018, they have scored 242 points. The 2013 side scored 238. The 2018 season is one of just seven Tigers seasons that has seen the club score less than 300 points after 16 games.

DEFENCE
Here comes the flipside. The Tigers'defence in 2018 is the best the club has ever seen, conceding less than 300 points after 16 games for the first time in its history. The 295 points conceded in 2018 beats the record set by 2000 and 2011, where 312 points were let in.

LADDER POSITION
The Tigers sit in 10th place in 2018 after 16 games. The last time they were placed better was in 2012 when they sat in ninth place.

CROWDS
So far, the Tigers are averaging 17,219 per home game, which is well up on last year's 13,551. It’s the highest since 2011, where they averaged 17,852 and is the fourth-best year for Tigers home crowds in their history, with only 2005’s 19,379 and 2006’s 19,357 the only other better years.

OVERALL
The things that matter to a club - salary cap, crowd figures and competitiveness - are all massively improved in 2018. Cleary has done an immense amount of great work in a short period. For 2019, he has to have his sights firmly set on finals football. As for 2018, as odd as it may sound when looking at the ladder and their current form, 2018 has indeed been quite a success for the Wests Tigers, with plenty of good to build upon moving forward.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Let’s save the grading for the end of the season hey boys?

I’ve got a feeling that our final position might be in line with a lot of our preseason predictions..

Tiger05

First Grade
I reckon he has done the best he can in relation to recruitment and retention apart from a couple of long term contracts that probably were bad decisions. Mbye is potentially a great signing. I also think the team has over-performed based on the squad we have available.

Fordy20

Juniors
You'd be hard pressed to say we haven't improved this season, but the season is not over. Look at 2014, we we're going great guns and while I knew weren't going to be in the fight for the premiership after the Roosters match, I wouldn't have predicted the absolute castastrophic injury toll and subsequent tumble down the ladder.

The problem at the moment is that we are trending downwards and with
eight matches remaining, we play the top two sides twice and the remaining opposition are starting to hit their straps. When Hodgson came back, the Raiders thumped us and look likely to do the same again when we play them at home. The Bulldogs almost beat the Raiders, so that will be a tough match. We never seem to perform well against the Knights and I doubt Manly will capitulate as easily as they did our earlier match up.

A pass mark from me for this season would be finishing above the bottom four, but to manage that is going to be a struggle.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Let’s save the grading for the end of the season hey boys?

I’ve got a feeling that our final position might be in line with a lot of our preseason predictions..
It’s certainly looking that way as we are undoubtedly on a downwards trajectory.

The obvious concern going into next season is we have numerous holes to fill & where/how we can entice enough decent players to b a genuine finals contender has got me stumped.Hope I’m wrong but I don’t c a short or medium term end to the misery.

Tiger Ted

Bench
You'd be hard pressed to say we haven't improved this season, but the season is not over. Look at 2014, we we're going great guns and while I knew weren't going to be in the fight for the premiership after the Roosters match, I wouldn't have predicted the absolute castastrophic injury toll and subsequent tumble down the ladder.

The problem at the moment is that we are trending downwards and with
eight matches remaining, we play the top two sides twice and the remaining opposition are starting to hit their straps. When Hodgson came back, the Raiders thumped us and look likely to do the same again when we play them at home. The Bulldogs almost beat the Raiders, so that will be a tough match. We never seem to perform well against the Knights and I doubt Manly will capitulate as easily as they did our earlier match up.

A pass mark from me for this season would be finishing above the bottom four, but to manage that is going to be a struggle.
Spot on.

Dragons 09

Juniors
From an outsider looking in, I have no doubt you blokes are moving in the right direction. Last year, i wouldn't have been in the least concerned about playing the Tiges and we were travelling pretty ordinary ourselves. Move forward 12 months and we are sitting in 2nd, but i am tentative about Sundays game. Not because i think we are on a slide, but because i think you blokes are more dangerous than what the ladder might suggest. Looks like your team for Sunday is close to your best squad and Mbye and Farah have had another couple of weeks up their sleeve to gel into your systems and structures. The first year of your new regime was always going to be sketchy results wise as Cleary's plan/vision was rolled out, but the fact that teams that that would have laughed at you last year are now genuinely cautious of you suggests you blokes are heading in the right direction. Once you get your attack in order and can regularly score points, you will be a real pain in the ass for a lot of sides.
Best of luck Sunday, just not too much luck!;)

Tiger Ted

Bench
From an outsider looking in, I have no doubt you blokes are moving in the right direction. Last year, i wouldn't have been in the least concerned about playing the Tiges and we were travelling pretty ordinary ourselves. Move forward 12 months and we are sitting in 2nd, but i am tentative about Sundays game. Not because i think we are on a slide, but because i think you blokes are more dangerous than what the ladder might suggest. Looks like your team for Sunday is close to your best squad and Mbye and Farah have had another couple of weeks up their sleeve to gel into your systems and structures. The first year of your new regime was always going to be sketchy results wise as Cleary's plan/vision was rolled out, but the fact that teams that that would have laughed at you last year are now genuinely cautious of you suggests you blokes are heading in the right direction. Once you get your attack in order and can regularly score points, you will be a real pain in the ass for a lot of sides.
Best of luck Sunday, just not too much luck!;)
U r deadset kidding.If plummetting rapidly is moving in the right direction then u r off ur head.U obviously haven’t been watching what inept garbage this basket case have dished our over the last 10 matches.

How the fk can u b tentative at kogarah against a team that has a b-grade kicking game soft cock forwards (except Lawrence & twal) & will throw nothing at u in attack.If saints don’t win by 20+ then u will only b making up the numbers in the finals.

Dragons 09

Juniors
U r deadset kidding.If plummetting rapidly is moving in the right direction then u r off ur head.U obviously haven’t been watching what inept garbage this basket case have dished our over the last 10 matches.

How the fk can u b tentative at kogarah against a team that has a b-grade kicking game soft c**k forwards (except Lawrence & twal) & will throw nothing at u in attack.If saints don’t win by 20+ then u will only b making up the numbers in the finals.

If you speak to my missus she will agree that i'm off my head so you might be on to something there!

Agree with you re your "attack" and I made mention of it in my post if you cared to digest what i said instead of prematurely ejaculating. It is your Achilles heel at the moment.

With regards "moving in the right direction", if i was a Tiges fan (and knew anything about football) i would much rather be where you are today than where you were 12 months ago.......sounds like moving in the right direction to me. Rome wasn't built in a day!

And for what it's worth, i have a real concern that we may just be making up numbers in the finals as we have got away with the 2 points this year on many occasions through moments of individual brilliance and not off the back of smart coaching that has shifted to Plan B when we were in trouble. Come finals time, that lack of coaching nouse might well be our Achilles heel.

Tiger Ted

Bench
If you speak to my missus she will agree that i'm off my head so you might be on to something there!

Agree with you re your "attack" and I made mention of it in my post if you cared to digest what i said instead of prematurely ejaculating. It is your Achilles heel at the moment.

With regards "moving in the right direction", if i was a Tiges fan (and knew anything about football) i would much rather be where you are today than where you were 12 months ago.......sounds like moving in the right direction to me. Rome wasn't built in a day!

And for what it's worth, i have a real concern that we may just be making up numbers in the finals as we have got away with the 2 points this year on many occasions through moments of individual brilliance and not off the back of smart coaching that has shifted to Plan B when we were in trouble. Come finals time, that lack of coaching nouse might well be our Achilles heel.
We have multiple Achilles heels!

Towards the end of last season we were playing with more grit than we are currently are & albeit we mightn’t have won many games we did lose with dignity unlike recent lame efforts.

The fact that u guys will end up in the top 4 & due to there being no real standout contender ur as much chance of winning the comp as a no. of other teams assuming u dont get hit with the injury stick come finals time.

Good luck in the finals a time of yr the rabble at concord are usually on holidays !

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Tiger Ted sums it up 100% Dragons09......You must have missed watching us recently.
2 wins from 10...Wins only against plodders Cowboys and Dogs.
2nd worst attack in the comp....And defence is working its way down the ladder too..
At this rate we will finish about 14th.
14th last year...14th this year = FAIL.

In regards to that article it’s nothing more than spin doctors glossing over a turd,I do believe we as a club are in a better standing position than we have been for a long time,however our playing strength is still deficient in several positions which severely restricts us in competing and winning on field,until this is rectified the suffering of WT fans will continue.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I’m not seeing a lot of younger talent coming through the ranks either...

It’s not all about signing off contract superstars to the club( although 1 or 2 are needed) but finding and developing your own... look at Penrith in this regard as a benchmark..

Tiger05

First Grade
I’m not seeing a lot of younger talent coming through the ranks either...

It’s not all about signing off contract superstars to the club( although 1 or 2 are needed) but finding and developing your own... look at Penrith in this regard as a benchmark..

I agree. We don't seem to have gun juniors coming through and we need them.

BuffaloRules

Coach
There’s a bit more perspective in the Tele today... only 7 out of 38 teams in the last 20 years who started the season 5-1 have missed the Top 8..,

Will this years Tigers be the 8th?

Latest posts