What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Womens NRL Clashes

kbw

Bench

siv

First Grade
So can explain to us what systems Easts have in place that were so much better than the alternatives ?

Proud Footy Mum

Juniors
South Sydneys Womens team notched up a good win today, with a 40 to 4 against the North Sydney Bears. Great to see a hat trick coming from youngster Bryanna Murray, younger sister of Cameron Murray. This makes South Sydney the Minor Premiers.

Stallion

First Grade
South Sydneys Womens team notched up a good win today, with a 40 to 4 against the North Sydney Bears. Great to see a hat trick coming from youngster Bryanna Murray, younger sister of Cameron Murray. This makes South Sydney the Minor Premiers.

Good to know. Was this game played at North Sydney Oval before Bears v Newtown? If so seemed like a decent crowd for NSW Cup fixture?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So can explain to us what systems Easts have in place that were so much better than the alternatives ?
They formed a fairly solid partnership with the Sydney Indigenous Academy from memory, most notably with the TG Cup team.

siv

First Grade
They formed a fairly solid partnership with the Sydney Indigenous Academy from memory, most notably with the TG Cup team.

Yes only this year but if the 11 SOO girls from Souths

Yes only in 2018. Souths and Cronulla had been running TGC teams since the series began

Seems if the 11 SOO players had remainded with Souths and Cronulla ( more if you include City and NSW Country ) they would have been viable teams

Saints, Cronulla and Souths had actually played full womens matches at senior level prior also

Easts would have struggled as a womens team

Then of course there are the 20,000 fans etc who signed protest websites

kbw

Bench
Yes only this year but if the 11 SOO girls from Souths

Yes only in 2018. Souths and Cronulla had been running TGC teams since the series began

Seems if the 11 SOO players had remainded with Souths and Cronulla ( more if you include City and NSW Country ) they would have been viable teams

Saints, Cronulla and Souths had actually played full womens matches at senior level prior also

Easts would have struggled as a womens team

Then of course there are the 20,000 fans etc who signed protest websites

Absolutely the support for the Tarsha Gale comp by Cronuilla and Souths has been good.

But when did Souths and Cronulla play senior 13 a side games (apart from souths in the W NSW cup this year) ? Cronulla Carringbah is a very separate entity as were RAB.
I may have missed it.

In reality anyone willing to spend the money required by the NRL to accommodate their share of the elite pools would not struggle.

I think that anyone (Souths and Cronulla) not willing to put the effort and $s into creating a side at the elite level that the NRL was looking for did not deserve a side. Simply keeping the sides they (or local junior clubs) play in the ISP comp would not create sides with the ability to compete at the WNRL level.
Having 2 teams with 11 elite players across those teams will not compete with teams that have 10+ in each tem
Souths and Cronulla were not will to spend the money to get any more elite players than they already had and therefore even if they managed to hold on to them all they would not be competitive

Timmah

Staff member
Further to that, as has been suggested earlier, when the NRLW is looking to expand from 4 teams to 6 or 8, the Rabbitohs and Sharks will almost certainly be included. It's not the end of the line suddenly. And neither side had any sort of automatic entitlement to a team either.

siv

First Grade
I think you will find Souths and Cronulla were both very willing to contribute money to running a W-NRL team

They both had full contracted players. Both had entered their proposed team in the W-NSWRL competition which runs for 10 weeks plus finals including players they had signed and had from the Marque pool and from around the state

This costs was more than the W-NRL arrangements. So to think they wouldnt have funded their teams was a incorrect interpretation of their proposals

In 2017 Souths played Cronulla and before that we had Cronulla played the Dragons in what could be called pre W-NRL level clashes. They played in full NRL kits

Redfern All blacks a South Sydney junior club were the premiers in 2017 so it was natural for Souths to build a squad around that core team

Just like Cronulla-Carringbah were premiers the year before and Cronulla had built their squad around that core team

Brisbane are building their team around a 17 year interstate dominate core team

Auckland are doing the same with their team based around a Kiwi national team

Some strange decisions were made - and fans etc dont trust the NRL and their selection committee in the next selection cycle

Timmah

Staff member
I think you will find Souths and Cronulla were both very willing to contribute money to running a W-NRL team

They both had full contracted players. Both had entered their proposed team in the W-NSWRL competition which runs for 10 weeks plus finals including players they had signed and had from the Marque pool and from around the state

This costs was more than the W-NRL arrangements. So to think they wouldnt have funded their teams was a incorrect interpretation of their proposals

In 2017 Souths played Cronulla and before that we had Cronulla played the Dragons in what could be called pre W-NRL level clashes. They played in full NRL kits

Redfern All blacks a South Sydney junior club were the premiers in 2017 so it was natural for Souths to build a squad around that core team

Just like Cronulla-Carringbah were premiers the year before and Cronulla had built their squad around that core team

Brisbane are building their team around a 17 year interstate dominate core team

Auckland are doing the same with their team based around a Kiwi national team

Some strange decisions were made - and fans etc dont trust the NRL and their selection committee in the next selection cycle
You've been repeatedly told that Cronulla-Caringbah don't fall under the auspice of the Sharks RLFC yet you continue to peddle that line.

You're also speaking for an awful lot of people who aren't here saying the same thing.

kbw

Bench
I think you will find Souths and Cronulla were both very
willing to contribute money to running a W-NRL team

I

Sorry but I had family that were involed in the process. Neither Souths nor Cronulla were willing to spend the money that was required. Souths failed to meet the requirements in 5 out of 7 of the require

The contracts that the girls have for the W-NSWRL are very different from the W-NRL contracts and those contracts were not available until 3 possibly 4 weeks ago.

I love your passion, but this comment shows you have no idea.
The W-NSWRL players are not paid much at all infact most are not paid at all. Some staff are paid most are not. No budget for a W-NSWRL team would not be close to $50K infact most would be considerably less. I have done budgets for SS and Massey sides and they cost a considerable amount more than the W-NSWRL sides (unless you are silly enough to pay overs for a coach as Norths did)

The estimated running costs of the WNRL are between $300K and $500K depending on how much you want to pay. the players and how much your relocation costs are,

siv

First Grade
I think you will find that Souths and Cronulla had requested a higher grant from the NRL

So which criteria items did the clubs fail on ?

Sounds like 1997-1999 all over again

Timmah

Staff member
I think you will find that Souths and Cronulla had requested a higher grant from the NRL

So which criteria items did the clubs fail on ?

Sounds like 1997-1999 all over again
Sounds like you just don't like the outcome and want to blame everyone else.

siv

First Grade
Yes I sit comfortably with the 20,000 who are not comfortable with the outcome

Timmah

Staff member
Yes I sit comfortably with the 20,000 who are not comfortable with the outcome
Nice try, the Sharks' petition got 10,748 signatures.

Few of them are still upset about it, they've got on with life.

Timmah

Staff member
There was also a Souths petition
Which got 3.5k signatures.

So even then we're not even at 15k, and still none of those people are making noise. It looks a bit sad still going on about it tbh, the decision has been made and the future is here.

kbw

Bench
Signing a partition may make people feel important but it doesn't replace ignorance.or the valid rationale for not granting licenses to those clubs not willing to do what was necessary to create a team of the quality required.

I do hope the competition expands and flourishes but from what I have been told, Souths will have to change their attitude dramatically or they will not get in next time either

Stallion

First Grade
Signing a partition may make people feel important but it doesn't replace ignorance.or the valid rationale for not granting licenses to those clubs not willing to do what was necessary to create a team of the quality required.

I do hope the competition expands and flourishes but from what I have been told, Souths will have to change their attitude dramatically or they will not get in next time either

If the womens product is entertaining and in decent timeslots for viewing (as realised for Womens SOO game at North Sydney ) I would predict a further groundswell of interest and support for women's rugby league. This should lead the way to a significant increase in team numbers the following season and beyond.