What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

carcharias

Immortal
Wow, dont like Thursday nights as school night, dont like Fridays as traffic too busy, dont like Saturday afternoon as shopping is a bigger draw card. So we need to schedule 8 games into 4 slots to have any hope of reasonable crowds?

Much more likely tickets are too expensive, stadium facilities/experiences are very avg, game day entertainment is stuck in the 1970's and fans dont care because the NRL and its clubs dont care. Sort all that out and you can play a game whenever you want and get 25k to it!

Mate
You should be banned from discussing this subject
You relentlessly hang shit on Sydney crowds and the way the game is promoted.
Yet when asked for your solution you declare free tomato soup a free glass of cheap cat piss sparkling wine and a f**king rose will get the crowds in.
Idiot.

Mister M

Juniors
New Parra stadium will be a litmus test I reckon. AFL grounds are largely better than NRL ones, Suncorp being an exception.

I think you'll see a big improvement via Parra stadium to eels and tigers crowds.

I'd say AAMI Park is also an exception to that rule--- AAMI Park is my favourite stadium in Melbourne to view sport as a spectator.

T-Boon

Coach
Wow, dont like Thursday nights as school night, dont like Fridays as traffic too busy, dont like Saturday afternoon as shopping is a bigger draw card. So we need to schedule 8 games into 4 slots to have any hope of reasonable crowds?

Much more likely tickets are too expensive, stadium facilities/experiences are very avg, game day entertainment is stuck in the 1970's and fans dont care because the NRL and its clubs dont care. Sort all that out and you can play a game whenever you want and get 25k to it!

Coaches have also ruined the game play which I see as the biggest issue.

T-Boon

Coach
I'd say AAMI Park is also an exception to that rule--- AAMI Park is my favourite stadium in Melbourne to view sport as a spectator.

AAMI has nothing on the new Parra Stadium. It is the steepest that has ever been built.

Last edited:

Mister M

Juniors
AAMI has nothing on the new Parra Stadium. It is the steepest that has ever been built.
You just think AAMI is great because at every other ground in Melbourne you are basically bird watching while the seagulls fight over a chip.

I'm watched NRL at four different grounds in Melbourne (MCG, Etihad/Marvel Stadium, AAMI Park and the old 'Graveyard'/Olympic Park complex) so that's what I am basing my judgement on--- but make the unrequited attack on the other code that actually has a true national league.

T-Boon

Coach
I'm watched NRL at four different grounds in Melbourne (MCG, Etihad/Marvel Stadium, AAMI Park and the old 'Graveyard'/Olympic Park complex) so that's what I am basing my judgement on--- but make the unrequited attack on the other code that actually has a true national league.

No dramas, I just re read my post and its pretty shitty. Consider it taken back.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mate
You should be banned from discussing this subject
You relentlessly hang shit on Sydney crowds and the way the game is promoted.
Yet when asked for your solution you declare free tomato soup a free glass of cheap cat piss sparkling wine and a f**king rose will get the crowds in.
Idiot.

Yeh game day experience, who’d get off their arses for that?

carcharias

Immortal
Yeh game day experience, who’d get off their arses for that?
Nobody if you were in charge.

Me?
Kids GA memberships under 12 are free all games, all year.
Kids become a season ticket holder and swipe their card on entry.
The NRL compensates clubs for this on a per head basis.

I’m not sure what % they pay the clubs but I’m sure with those billion $ tv deals they’d be able to afford it.
I’m sure they could add a couple of $ to the adult ticket to help costing.

A bloke could take his 2 or 3 kids to the footy for about $30

That is 4 extra people in the crowd that might not have gone.

No flowers, grapes or tomatoes are harmed in the process.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
One thing the AFL does well is having kids go free (with paying adult) on Sunday games in Melbourne. I think that approach is worth a shot for all Sunday games in Sydney, but would need the clubs to all agree - which is probably the sticking point, particularly when clubs are making losses at suburban grounds

carcharias

Immortal
One thing the AFL does well is having kids go free (with paying adult) on Sunday games in Melbourne. I think that approach is worth a shot for all Sunday games in Sydney, but would need the clubs to all agree - which is probably the sticking point, particularly when clubs are making losses at suburban grounds

I can’t see the problem of kids get in free
As long as they are not taking the seat of a person who could pay for it.
Those stadiums are empty anyway so it wouldn’t matter a bit.
In suburban grounds they’ll hassle their parents for food or merch at some point.

Like I stated above though
The clubs should be compensated in some way for kids free tix.
The membership idea is my best bet.
Walk ups don’t get in free.

Starkers

Bench
I can’t see the problem of kids get in free
As long as they are not taking the seat of a person who could pay for it.
Those stadiums are empty anyway so it wouldn’t matter a bit.
In suburban grounds they’ll hassle their parents for food or merch at some point.

Like I stated above though
The clubs should be compensated in some way for kids free tix.
The membership idea is my best bet.
Walk ups don’t get in free.

I think as well as these ideas two other things that might help are a bit more scarcity and neutrality for games. Each weekend in Sydney 4 or 5 games could be played.

Maybe each 5.30pm Saturday game should be in the bush with a CRL game as the curtain raiser?

And then when Homebush is re-done perhaps try for a season playing every Sunday arvo there regardless of the club's involved.

At least then when people say "where is the footy on today" the answer will be consistent and the hassle of getting there can be overcome by knowing it's the same every week.

Just an idea.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think as well as these ideas two other things that might help are a bit more scarcity and neutrality for games. Each weekend in Sydney 4 or 5 games could be played.

Maybe each 5.30pm Saturday game should be in the bush with a CRL game as the curtain raiser?

And then when Homebush is re-done perhaps try for a season playing every Sunday arvo there regardless of the club's involved.

At least then when people say "where is the footy on today" the answer will be consistent and the hassle of getting there can be overcome by knowing it's the same every week.

Just an idea.

Reality is though that there arent many neutrals or fans of other teams that are going to a game not featuring their team. So its not likely a sharks fan is going to go to ANZ to watch souths v bulldogs because that is only one of three games in sydney that weekend. Your hard pushed to get them to go to an "away" game when their own team is playing in it.

I do agree though, and something DSmith was pushing for, that there should be two guaranteed blockbuster games in Sydney every weekend, Friday night at Allianz and Sunday afternoon at ANZ (parra when open) and marketed accordingly. Friday night adults night, beer tents, decent food, post game entertainment village outside etc. Sunday afternoon family game, free kids entry, cheap kids ,meals, face painting and give aways etc. Heck Id throw the doors of ANZ open whilst it was there to free entry to any NRL full member if ticket ordered in advance, see if you can get 40-50k to the games

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

Just an idea.
This used to be modus operandi back in the 70s-80s at the SCG as far as I understand. Could be a goer.

footy75

Bench

Now that's a great idea. Get kids into the game...I like it.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors

I know something the kids look forward to at some of these AFL games, is they are often allowed to have a kick on the ground after the games. I know that holds some big appeal to families as a novelty. Are spectators allowed on any of the suburban NRL grounds after the game? Could be an additional attraction to have a play on the same turf as their heroes every now and then?

unforgiven

Bench
I know something the kids look forward to at some of these AFL games, is they are often allowed to have a kick on the ground after the games. I know that holds some big appeal to families as a novelty. Are spectators allowed on any of the suburban NRL grounds after the game? Could be an additional attraction to have a play on the same turf as their heroes every now and then?
Kogarah last weekend and Leichhardt the week before both allowed fans on the ground after the game.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Walk into a pub when a game is on. Theres always a buzz with crew watching the game.

We've given away so much of the game to TV yet people act surprised when Joe Average will actively seek out places to watch it on TV; pubs, clubs, a mates place, home.

These places have every comfort conceivable; cold beer, comfy seats, massive HD screens, a range of delicious food.

Going to the games is old hat. You don't change the culture of attendance without a massive shift in culture across the games supporters.
Yes the RL watching culture in Sydney is totally different. In my visits to inner Sydney, the pubs are packed with people watching RL (and other sports). In Melbourne, the pubs all empty as everyone heads to the match, then fill up again straight after. Not sure if this is a Sydney/Melbourne thing or a RL/AFL thing?

Last edited:

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Kogarah last weekend and Leichhardt the week before both allowed fans on the ground after the game.

Is this a regular thing at those grounds or just for games they don't think are highly attended? It's a good initiative and no doubt makes the experience more enjoyable.

Latest posts