What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne~NFL~RU~Tits~Eels~Dad~Jailed~Mistrial~Jailed 5yrs~Retrial~Jailed~Appeal

T-Boon

Coach
Pretty sure he had been upgraded before the DV case. I’m as critical as anyone of the club but there is no way you can blame losing Semi on club.

Blame his shit taste in women.

I just clearly remember there was an opportunity for us to buy Semi's loyalty to the club and we chose to just keep him on a cheap contract. Semi would have kept that in the memory bank. It was short sighted.

Who knows, probably he would have gone anyway.

strider

Post Whore
I just clearly remember there was an opportunity for us to buy Semi's loyalty to the club and we chose to just keep him on a cheap contract. Semi would have kept that in the memory bank. It was short sighted.

You are part of the retention committee? ... im not, so i dont really know what is going on other than the sometimes unreliable news reports

Gronk

Staff member

Semi's manager forced our hand. He wanted a contract in place (NRL, Top14) before it went to court because he knew that Semi's worth may diminish if the case went south. We needed to offer Semi possibly the richest contract in NRL history (for an outside back) and cross our fingers that he didn't get rubbed out of the game for a year or more. We also don't know what terms his manager was demanding. We do know that Toulon was not bothered with his DV charge and therefore would be paid notwithstanding the result.

It's easy to be wise in hindsight, but imagine if we signed him for $800k+ and then he was found guilty of kicking a pregnant woman in a DV charge. Worse, imagine if that player was sidelined and we were forced to put his contract money aside. Gee the deathriders would have loved that.

Happy MEel

First Grade

Is this the kind of loyalty you’re referring to?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...e-parramatta-fiji-/1dxj5cyq0xm141l4ucrb2o1hov

I loved Semi as a player but I question his so called loyalty to the eels.

Noise

Coach
The club did pretty much all they could with Semi. He would have bailed earlier IMO but we dug our heels in (and rightly so).

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Is that a blight on his character ?
No, not at all. I mentioned it in the context of the conversation which was about the circumstances of his leaving. The problem is with some of these players (not necessarily Semi in this case) is that they say things like I would have loved to stay or something similar, but their actions are totally contrary to that. Personally i wouldn't think twice if a player just came out and said, yes, I left because of the cash. But they never do.