What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 RLWC USA?

When I first heard of the RLWC being held in North America I thought it was an April Fool's joke. It's still an April Fool's joke. Reasons this is likely to fail;
A.)There's roughly around 200 registered amateur players in North America.
B.)There is barely any professional presence as Toronto are an English team that plays a few matches out of Toronto.
C.)Do Moore Sports International even maintain regular contact with the governing bodies in the USARL and CRL?
D.)0% grassroots development.
E.)There have been TOO many false dawns for RL in the US.
F -for fail.)How much have the RLIF done?

Reasons this is likely to succeed;
A.)RL is very similar to American football.
C.)We have a product that Americans will enjoy watching and should pick up quickly.

For this to work Moore Sports will have to invest in their own competition in North America likely with Toronto Wolfpack involvement, with a decent mix of East and West Coast teams, making sure there is a few top level pros to balance out the competition. Their is 7 years to go and there's a lot of catching up to do, this is make or break for RL in the US and for International RL. This must be done right.

Stallion

First Grade
When I first heard of the RLWC being held in North America I thought it was an April Fool's joke. It's still an April Fool's joke. Reasons this is likely to fail;
A.)There's roughly around 200 registered amateur players in North America.
B.)There is barely any professional presence as Toronto are an English team that plays a few matches out of Toronto.
C.)Do Moore Sports International even maintain regular contact with the governing bodies in the USARL and CRL?
D.)0% grassroots development.
E.)There have been TOO many false dawns for RL in the US.
F -for fail.)How much have the RLIF done?

Reasons this is likely to succeed;
A.)RL is very similar to American football.
C.)We have a product that Americans will enjoy watching and should pick up quickly.

For this to work Moore Sports will have to invest in their own competition in North America likely with Toronto Wolfpack involvement, with a decent mix of East and West Coast teams, making sure there is a few top level pros to balance out the competition. Their is 7 years to go and there's a lot of catching up to do, this is make or break for RL in the US and for International RL. This must be done right.

You forgot B). Adept rugby league administrators will combine and attract business and media to make this event succeed. It ( RL)deserves a change of luck!

Stallion

First Grade
I wonder if President Trump will place a tariff on the World Cup.

Saw a guy who seemed very enthusiastic for rugby-league in North America on video /u tube last night. Hopefully this type of grass roots enthusiasm can be supported in some way by established Aussie rugby league clubs or administration ? They are trying to source funds for possible tours to Australia and England via a website donation set up. This guy has a website called: rlamerica.com. Looks genuine but needs backing!

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
Right...it's my day off and I'm in the pub bored...

Here's my 2025 world cup...bare in mind the tournament happens smack bang in the middle of the NFL season,so NFL stadia are not a option.....MLS stadia all the way...all between 20-30k

Group A
New York
Redbull_01.jpg

Orlando

os-sp-orlando-city-stadium-tour-0226

Group B
Toronto
33799468624_239de5bee2_b.jpg

Chicago
ISSUE01-170339990-AR.png

roughyedspud

Coach
Group C
Salt Lake City
Rio%20Tinto%20Stadium.jpeg

Denver
rapids_stadium02.jpg

Group D
Los Angeles
top-of-stadium-view.jpg

Vancouver (in 25k mode)
BC_Place_2011.jpg

1/4s
New York
LA
Toronto
Vancouver

Semi finals
New York
LA

Final
Vancouver (in 50k mode)
anonymous-20150626023240.jpg

In the meantime all the host cities need to be targeted by the NRL,ESL & RLIF with annual RL games...both club & international games

Coastbloke

Bench
I like it.
The MLS stadiums seem to be the way to go. They are available, look great (Australian stadium designers take note) and capacity seems to be just right for the credibility of the tournament..

Good stuff Spud..

roughyedspud

Coach
MLS stadia are the only option...

Yankee stadium might be a option for a new York venue though..how cool would that be!

New York City fc play at Yankee stadium, NYC FC are owned by the man city owners...and the RFL are moving into man city's etihad campus facility...so something could be worked out I reckon..
NYCFCArt1a1.jpg

latingringo101

Juniors
All stadiums you suggested sound like a good idea. Wouldn't it be wise to have the final in a somewhat RL heartland like Toronto or East Coast USA?

Also would it be wise to have matches in LA, Denver, SLC and Vancouver? There was a lot of Criticism over the amount of Travel teams had to do in the 2008 & 2017 RLWCs in OZ. The 2013 WC was awesome because the UK is small and even if teams had to travel it was like a 1/2-1 hour flight for teams to travel.

I'd try keep it East coast with maybe one match in LA, Vancouver, SLC and Denver.

greenBV4

Bench
do all of those MLS stadiums have a long enough field? Soccer/football fields are a bit shorter than RL fields aren't they?

I don't see too much harm in the group stage being all over but the finals should definitely be confined to where league is strongest