What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons sign Korbin Sims

Old Timer

Coach
He won't. Haas is pretty much the prop equivalent of Kalyn Ponga. If he stays injury free, he'll be one of the best we've seen.

The Broncos have the best crop of young forwards i've seen for a long time. Haas, Ofahengaue, Pat Carrigan, Su'a, David Fifita. They'll all play for QLD.
Great observation
All those saying Millward has done a great job getting Korbin should consider the following
Did we get him against the Bronco’s efforts to keep him?
or
Did the Bronco’s discard him?
Did Bennett see his forwards being less formidable losing Korbin?
or
Does Bennett believe he has more hope and development prospects in a 22year old and a 18 year old forward as against a 26 year old who once had potential but failed to deliver?

Great observation
All those saying Millward has done a great job getting Korbin should consider the following
or
or
Does Bennett believe he has more hope and development prospects in a 22year old and a 18 year old forward as against a 26 year old who once had potential but failed to deliver?
Drawing a long bow there OT Vaughan was discarded by Canberra did that make him a dud signing?
We need an established forward more than ones with potential Bennett obviously doesn’t - so what :wink:

Old Timer

Coach
Drawing a long bow there OT Vaughan was discarded by Canberra did that make him a dud signing?
We need an established forward more than ones with potential Bennett obviously doesn’t - so what :wink:
I was trying to make a couple of points
  • Some going off half cocked announcing it as great signing and an upgrade on LAM.Typical that for some people that a player coming in is always better than the player going out which in this case and IMO is simply not correct.
  • People announcing how good Millward did getting him here is also an exaggeration of the situation. We didn't entice him here from a club that a) Wanted to keep him in their roster b) A club that he wanted to stay at but couldn't resist our offer to join us.
In respect of know how on players I would rate Bennett a long way ahead of Stuart.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
  • Some going off half cocked announcing it as great signing and an upgrade on LAM.Typical that for some people that a player coming in is always better than the player going out which in this case and IMO is simply not correct.
  • People announcing how good Millward did getting him here is also an exaggeration of the situation. We didn't entice him here from a club that a) Wanted to keep him in their roster b) A club that he wanted to stay at but couldn't resist our offer to join us.
In respect of know how on players I would rate Bennett a long way ahead of Stuart.

I still think you've got it out for Millward. I have no idea why, i'd like to know your reasons behind that thought process.

The Damo

Juniors
I haven’t seen anyone say he was an upgrade - are you sure that actually happened?
Or are you exaggerating? People are saying it’s a ‘good’ signing as it replaces our outgoing established bench forward with another established NRL standard forward. We’ve already got top line starting props and back row - for what we needed, he was one of the best options available. I haven’t seen any speculation on what his contract is worth, which tells me it’d be nothing too flash.
It looks to me that due to broncos wanting to keep their emerging forwards, they couldn’t pay Korbin what he was worth. We don’t know if they made him an offer that would fit with their cap but not what he was able to get elsewhere.

jak

Bench
Great observation
or
or
some good points there, also out of the 3 brothers korbin was seen as the one with the most potential.

Gareth67

First Grade
Walmsley is off contract at the end of the season to my knowledge. Fairly sure St Helens would want to keep him though.

Drag Queen , I thought that it was a longer contract , however I have a sneaking suspicion that we will hear more about that during the off-season .

getsmarty

Immortal
I don’t know what the answer is.
Maybe agreed values for certain players mandated by the NRL.
That way you can’t get around undervaluing players and topping it up with TPAs.

Make the managers legally responsible for third party sponsorship.

Maybe introduce a cap that includes an extra 20% of TPAs and no more.
Then it’s up to clubs to fill that number as they see fit, spread it around however many players they want or give it all to one player.
But put a cap on the amount.

If they mandated that the cap was 8.5 million, then you can top that up with a verifiable 1.5 million in TPAs.

All good points except for the TPA's @ 1.5 Mill...most clubs can't raise that amount...maybe TPA's only for 2 marquee players per side although the players union won't allow that because of restraint of trade...

NRL should put minimal values on certain players so that an Origin players cannot be signed for unders...

its a tough one to fix.

Old Timer

Coach
I still think you've got it out for Millward. I have no idea why, i'd like to know your reasons behind that thought process.
I don't have it in for Millward as such I just can't abide the adulation he gets over some of the signings and Korbin Sims is one of those signings IMO.
We have deficiencies in 2 - 5 and it may in fact cost us a comp this year so get back to me when he signs a stellar centre and / or winger as it is blatantly obvious we will not be developing anyone in our own ranks.
Also get back to me when Millward signs a great player from under another clubs nose because as far as I can see we have signed some handy players but we didn't exactly pinch them.

I haven’t seen anyone say he was an upgrade - are you sure that actually happened?
Or are you exaggerating? People are saying it’s a ‘good’ signing as it replaces our outgoing established bench forward with another established NRL standard forward. We’ve already got top line starting props and back row - for what we needed, he was one of the best options available. I haven’t seen any speculation on what his contract is worth, which tells me it’d be nothing too flash.
It looks to me that due to broncos wanting to keep their emerging forwards, they couldn’t pay Korbin what he was worth. We don’t know if they made him an offer that would fit with their cap but not what he was able to get elsewhere.
Go back and have a read several clearly saying "upgrade".
Now maybe I'm being harsh but "replaces / replacement" IMO means equal to or better than and IMO Korbin is neither and nowhere near the quality of LAM in consistency.
Korbin may in time prove to be a worthy replacement for LAM but if you had the choice of keeping LAM would you have taken it over purchasing Korbin?
If the answer is yes then it is neither a replacement nor is it an upgrade it is just a signing and we we are in fact worse off in the deal.
This place has many people that think incoming is always better than outgoing.

RufusRex

Post Whore
I agree our 2-5 is a problem - i also think there are glaring deficiencies in our 11/12

Sims for all his form this year is still better in the middle than on the edge, we just dont have a better option on the edge .. Would kill for a 2nd rower with ball skills to play there ... That bloke and a prop rotation of Vaughan/Sims/Sims/Graham would give us much better balance. There is too much of a drop between AhMau and Latimore in our prop rotation ... Latimore is going ok but we have potentially a better prop rotation with the Sims boys in the middle.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I don't have it in for Millward as such I just can't abide the adulation he gets over some of the signings and Korbin Sims is one of those signings IMO.
We have deficiencies in 2 - 5 and it may in fact cost us a comp this year so get back to me when he signs a stellar centre and / or winger as it is blatantly obvious we will not be developing anyone in our own ranks.
Also get back to me when Millward signs a great player from under another clubs nose because as far as I can see we have signed some handy players but we didn't exactly pinch them.

I mean, a certain halfback, a current NSW prop, a current NSW second-rower and a British veteran prop come to mind.... But anyway, It's not always about recruiting marquee players from other clubs, it's often about retention of your quality players and juniors. Frizell, De Belin, Aitken, Mann, Widdop, Field, Dufty, Host, Leilua, Kerr, Robson... All of these guys have been retained under Millward, and I can tell you for fact they all attracted a lot of interest from other clubs. That is JUST as important as signing a big name player, if not more so. If we lost any one of those guys, you (amongst others hiding in the woodwork) would have been straight on here to lay the blame and pressure onto Millward. The poor guy can't win either way.

Korbin was the best possible replacement for Ah Mau at that price range, guys like TPJ... Klemmer... Taupau, they are all pipe-dreams who will be demanding too much money, thus throwing our cap completely out of whack. Then we end up losing the young, quality players you talk about.

Latest posts