What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Womens NRL Clashes

Proud Footy Mum

Juniors
Well this Saturday Arvo, Leichhardt Oval will be hosting the Semis for the Womens Comp. Cronulla vs Newcastle and Mounties vs Cabramatta. Im backing Cronulla and Mounties. Anyone heading out? Im then heading out to probably be disappointed to watch my Wests Tigers play the Bunnies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The official name is NRL Holden Women's Premiership.

I presume that will be shortened to NRL Women's and therefore NRLW but haven't seen anything official in that space.

ScaleWidthWyIxNDAiXQ-HoldenWomensPremiership.png

greenBV4

Bench
Back when the new centre of excellence was announced for Melbourne there was talks of it being home to a NRLW side, anyone know if the storm/nrl vic ended up bidding? or if they did/didn't meet the criteria?

Just from what I've noticed, at state level the womens game down here almost seems as big as the mens, and surely if the NRL wanted this comp to be national then a Melbourne side would be one of the next to be added?

On top of this landmark deal, the Labor Government will invest $12 million to build a Rugby League Centre of Excellence in Broadmeadows – a community that loves its league.

The Centre will include new playing fields, high-performance facilities and an administrative-base for NRL Victoria.

The new facility will provide Victoria with a new hub for rugby league programs, and a venue for training, camps and state and national level tournaments.

In more big news for women’s sport, the centre will pave the way for the introduction of a Melbourne Storm women’s team in the new NRL Women’s Premiership.

The Centre and NRL women’s license form part of the Labor Government’s biggest investment in women’s and community sport in our state’s history.
- https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/the-perfect-storm-for-rugby-league-in-victoria/

Timmah

Staff member
I imagine they'd almost be a certainty for the first expansion. 4 becoming 8, add Cronulla, Souths, Melbourne and Raiders?

kbw

Bench
Melb did not put in a proposal for this year.

I am not confident that Souths nor Cronulla will be in the next expansion of the WNRL. I know from people involved that their proposals were far from impressive and recently heard Souths didn't even want to pay their players. Now that Souths have shown their real colours by dumping their Tarsha Gale side for next year I think they could be way down the pecking order.

The draw for the first round will not be known until the draw for the NRL semi finals. The draw for the WNRL will be a week to week thing depending on how the NRL sides are going, so there is some alignment between the NRL and WNRL

kbw

Bench
I think it will go to 6 teams in the next round with the 2 teams coming from Penrith, Parramatta, Bulldogs and Knights

greenBV4

Bench
Melb did not put in a proposal for this year.
I think it will go to 6 teams in the next round with the 2 teams coming from Penrith, Parramatta, Bulldogs and Knights
I imagine they'd almost be a certainty for the first expansion. 4 becoming 8, add Cronulla, Souths, Melbourne and Raiders?

just found another article saying the centre wont be completed until 2020 and they are looking to bid in that same year

The Storm hope the centre could be operating by 2020, depending on how long construction takes.
“We would like to get on with it as soon as possible,” Donaghy said on Friday.
“With the women’s competition playing in the back end of the year, if it expands as we think it will, then 2020 would be a real target for us.”
- https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/storm-nrl-women-training-centre-rugby-league-20180413-p4z9i6.html

T-Boon

Coach

I would cut the western sydney teams out. They didn't support the competition from the start even though they are filthy rich and could easily have supported it. I would even consider starting a brand new womens club in western sydney and leaving the dogs, panthers and eels out for good.
The knights I would allow in even though they did not support the WNRL because they have had a lot to sort out over the last few years.

Timmah

Staff member
I would cut the western sydney teams out. They didn't support the competition from the start even though they are filthy rich and could easily have supported it. I would even consider starting a brand new womens club in western sydney and leaving the dogs, panthers and eels out for good.
The knights I would allow in even though they did not support the WNRL because they have had a lot to sort out over the last few years.
Source?

Timmah

Staff member
their failure to put in an application to have a team.
That's not a source for what you said. You directly claimed they "didn't support the competition". I reckon putting teams into the NSWRL Premiership is a fairly good signal of intent - WT, Parra (Wenty) and Canterbury all did that.

T-Boon

Coach
That's not a source for what you said. You directly claimed they "didn't support the competition". I reckon putting teams into the NSWRL Premiership is a fairly good signal of intent - WT, Parra (Wenty) and Canterbury all did that.

They didn't want to spend any money. They said that or at least my team Parra did. They said we had already done our budget and we aren't interested enough in this competition to redo the budget even though we would redo the budget for the other things we actually do care about.

I have heard all the excuses, but they all come down to "meh".

They will want in if it looks like it will be a goer. Which is very typical of NRL clubs. I say f**k them, exclude them. Or at least make them beg for a decade while everyone else does well out of it.

Timmah

Staff member
They didn't want to spend any money. They said that or at least my team Parra did. They said we had already done our budget and we aren't interested enough in this competition to redo the budget even though we would redo the budget for the other things we actually do care about.

I have heard all the excuses, but they all come down to "meh".

They will want in if it looks like it will be a goer. Which is very typical of NRL clubs. I say f**k them, exclude them. Or at least make them beg for a decade while everyone else does well out of it.
yes, exclude them out of some petty spite. That sounds like sound business practice.

kbw

Bench
That's good news that Melbourne are doing that.
With the other sides that didn't put a proposal in I had the feeling it was more , lets wait and see if its successful before we commit the $s.

The Bulldogs have been committed to women's RL for a while now, at least at the junior club level and to me its a no brainer that there will be a team out west.

If things are done right I think there will be a focus on development before the WNRL comp is expanded and probably 2020 will be the year. don't be surprised to see new teams in the Harvey Norman comp in 2019.

As mentioned I doubt Souths will ever get in due to the showing of their true colours in dumping their Tasha Gale team for 2019. I imagine they will also dump the Harvey Norman team and it will probably return to RAB.
I have also heard there is a chance the tigers may not enter a team in the TG either

greenBV4

Bench
That's good news that Melbourne are doing that.
With the other sides that didn't put a proposal in I had the feeling it was more , lets wait and see if its successful before we commit the $s.
yeah sounds like the main reason they didn't bid for an inaugural team is because AAMI park is at full capacity for tennants, even for a women's team competing in a short season

it's good that they want to wait and do it right with a new training base

T-Boon

Coach
yes, exclude them out of some petty spite. That sounds like sound business practice.

Not just spite, you also don't want "hangers on" (the NRL is already full of these). If you aren't prepared to do the heavy lifting when needed then you really aren't wanted around. The competition needs teams that are all in, will help promote and spend a bit of money to get it off the ground.

Reactions: kbw

Timmah

Staff member
Not just spite, you also don't want "hangers on" (the NRL is already full of these). If you aren't prepared to do the heavy lifting when needed then you really aren't wanted around. The competition needs teams that are all in, will help promote and spend a bit of money to get it off the ground.
f**k me dead.

Piss off and leave the discussion to the adults mate.

thorson1987

Coach
yeah sounds like the main reason they didn't bid for an inaugural team is because AAMI park is at full capacity for tennants, even for a women's team competing in a short season

it's good that they want to wait and do it right with a new training base

Surprised we didn't end up saying it would be based out of the Sunshine Coast like the Thunderbolts were.