What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to fix it...

T-Boon

Coach
I think people are more understanding of errors when decisions are made in a split second with one (sometimes obstructed) view than they are of blokes watching 37 replays and still f**king it up.

That is not my recollection. Commentators have been whinging about the refs for decades. That is one of the reasons they brought in the bunker and the video ref to begin with.
One other thing we need is better/smarter commentators who know how to talk about the game in a positive way.

no name

Coach
Get rid of touch judges.

Do we really need 2 people telling us whether or where the ball or player went over the line in the modern game?

They never are able to tell when a winger scores in the corner and always get forward passes wrong.

Since the introduction of the 2nd ref and bunker they're no longer needed to assist the ref on reporting foul play.

Goal kick adjudication? Again, the 2 refs can easily rule on that.

How do you even get a job as a touch judge? Are they failed refs who aren't good enough to make it? Are they selected because they handle a flag well?

Get rid of them.
The role of the touchie died the in Origin where old mate had his nose right on Hayne’s boot, kept his flag down, ruled a try and was overruled by the VR.

no name

Coach
That is not my recollection. Commentators have been whinging about the refs for decades. That is one of the reasons they brought in the bunker and the video ref to begin with.
One other thing we need is better/smarter commentators who know how to talk about the game in a positive way.
They will always whinge.
Bunker or no bunker.
All the bunker does is slow the game down.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So before the bunker or video ref every prick was demanding that we use technology because mistakes were being exposed by TV.

Now the same pricks want to get rid of video reviews.

Yet these will be the same pricks who will whinge when the refs get it wrong after they see it on replay.

Vozzy

Juniors
Why us the touch judge getting the blame from Bernard Sutton?

He saw the knock on which the on field referee missed and the bunker. The wrong issue is being raised with this decision. The touch judge putting his flag up was cos Gerrard "Stevie Wonder" Sutton missed a clear knock on the the bunker did aswell. Whether he put his flag up or not the try decision was wrong either way. So the on field refs and the bunker got the bigger decision wrong yet the touchie is the scape goat

Timbo

Staff member
Why us the touch judge getting the blame from Bernard Sutton?

He saw the knock on which the on field referee missed and the bunker. The wrong issue is being raised with this decision. The touch judge putting his flag up was cos Gerrard "Stevie Wonder" Sutton missed a clear knock on the the bunker did aswell. Whether he put his flag up or not the try decision was wrong either way. So the on field refs and the bunker got the bigger decision wrong yet the touchie is the scape goat

He’s thrown the touchie under the bus to save his brother and the bunker.

Honestly, this game is such a f**king joke sometimes.

I dont like all this talk of removing the bunker. Sure it can be annoying but the world would end if the ref’s had to make a call. It would be out of control.

davi

Juniors
Bring in Bill Harrigan, not sure of the role he’d play but at least he’s got common sense unlike all these other monkeys.

Hell NO! Under Bill Harrigan it was abysmal in fact I remember the video refereeing considerably improved when Daniel Anderson took over. A lot people tend to forget Anderson brought certainty and commonsense when he took over then the farce under Harrigan.

davi

Juniors
I actually think Garth Brennan's suggestion to take ref's call away when he refers to the bunker is a joke. So how should we decide if the video footage can't determine a try? Flip a coin?

The game was refed for 80 years from referees on live field decision. Taking the final call from the person who has the best view on field for a 50/50 decision is lame.

King hit

Coach
Captains challenge

Edit: I also expect in the next few decades, wearable tech, superior camer technology, body and ball sensors and AI could all make their way into replacing video refs - making things way more objective. I expect we will have to wait for bigger sports like NFL, NBA etc to do it first though

You do know the captains challenge in cricket isn't perfect and there has been some dodgy stuff over the years with it. Look at the 2013 ashes series in England as an example. Just imagine unlimited captains challenges with Smith and Gallen using it repeatedly.

But I do strongly believe in going back to 1 referee. 2 just creates confusion and over referees the game leading to the mistakes we have seen.

How to fix it:

- 2017 version needed to be in one whole movie, so have the section where they return as adults

- The town of Derry felt a bit fake. Needed to be more lifelike.

- less focus on pennywise the clown and more focus as it in it’s other fear manifesting forms
One movie? Are you daft? That's how you make shit like The dark tower

I'd probably have had kids section, then put in the odds and ends, historic timeline prequel perhaps made out of the sections Mike talks to us, Bev should've put out like in the book in the first movie then the 3rd movie would've been the adults section, then do a supercut on 4k on one DVD with it all jumbled in like the miniseries

One movie.... horrid idea

kbw

Bench
Maybe a bit left field, but I would also take the game off Ch9 and prevent Gould from anything to do with the media.
Those lot do nothing but whinge and whine. Gould has an agenda and is full of crap.
I agree that the game, especially the refereeing is in big trouble but its magnified by the dribble from these idiots. If you listen to how "professional" commentators do other sports, they made 1 comment then move on.

Diesel

Referee
Be consistent.
Either consistently bad or consistently good. Where one team gets put back 12m while in the same game the other side is set back 7-8m is bullshit. It grinds my gears