What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Recruitment Update

possm

Coach
Another way to look at is that not one of the broncos props is of the proven quality of Vaughan, who is signed long term to us.
We’ve got Frizz and Tariq and Jack all on less than Gillet, who there’s a good chance broncos will now need to let go. And all now proven Origin level players which Pangai isn’t yet.
Dufty has shown at least as much as isaako, especially at fullback and is signed to us for considerably less.
Broncos are short a halfback, we’ve got top line halves signed long term.
That blindness you mention can make it hard for people to acknowledge the good as well as the bad.

Our backline 1 to 5 needs replacing some from within and some from other clubs.

Old Timer

Coach
Nope. Recruitment pays attention to what you already have. If broncos had our props and back row they wouldn’t need to spend what they are to upgrade. They wouldn’t have spent so much on Bird if they had our halves and edge forwards. TPJ is a long minute edge ir middle. And he’s a very good one, likely to become rep standard. Our current long minute edges and middles are all current international or Origin level standard. Is any of Vaughan, Frizz, Tariq, JDB or Graham poor acquisitions?
And if you’re going to say Graham, then A - I disagree, and reckon the evidence does too, and B - if he’s the worst of our starting pack how on earth is that a poor standard of recruitment where the worst player is a current test international?
FMD as I said we know what we have in the ranks and I am not arguing the point that recruitment have done well retaining some players including juniors.
Recruitment is also about upgrading where you have deficiencies and replacing losses from your roster ie players you actually wanted to retain and again every effort should be made to upgrade.
If you are recruiting someone does that not mean they are actually not in your system otherwise it would be called retention?
Re Graham I gave said many times he brings a hard edge, professionalism, never say die attitude but IMO he brings little in respect of our attack and that doesn’t help us. IMO the qualities he brings are all captaincy & coach related so why did we buy him maybe because our current coach & captain are inept in that department?
Current test player he might be but he wouldn’t get a gig in an Australian jumper nor would he make the bench so England gave some deficiencies don’t they.

The Damo

Juniors
FMD as I said we know what we have in the ranks and I am not arguing the point that recruitment have done well retaining some players including juniors.
Recruitment is also about upgrading where you have deficiencies and replacing losses from your roster ie players you actually wanted to retain and again every effort should be made to upgrade.
If you are recruiting someone does that not mean they are actually not in your system otherwise it would be called retention?
Re Graham I gave said many times he brings a hard edge, professionalism, never say die attitude but IMO he brings little in respect of our attack and that doesn’t help us. IMO the qualities he brings are all captaincy & coach related so why did we buy him maybe because our current coach & captain are inept in that department?
Current test player he might be but he wouldn’t get a gig in an Australian jumper nor would he make the bench so England gave some deficiencies don’t they.
Recruitment and retention are two sides of the same coin.
Let’s be specific - we lost LAM, who we were paying around 400k, and were prepared to pay him around 500k. We signed a similarly credentialed and experienced player to replace him. I still haven’t seen any reports on what he will be paid, which I think means it was likely on the lower end, media loves to trumpet anything over 400k and they haven’t.
You seem to be arguing we should have signed TPJ instead, who it’s speculated will be getting anywhere from 550-750, and for us (or anyone beside Brisbane) to get him it would definitely need to be the upper end of that. So he’d instantly be our most expensive forward and 3rd most expensive player behind our halves. Do you genuinely believe we should have bought him and paid him more than our current NSW and Australian Rep Tyson? Then for the next few years between Hunt, Widdop and him we’d be have locked up around 2.5 million per year of the cap. Would that be good management in your view? Be specific OT, it’s easy to bag stuff with vague statements about always upgrading etc, but to be convincing you’ve gotta spell out specifics.

Crush

Coach
That’s a big call...and very negative! I hope the team plays to their potential and you eat your words.
I wouldn't replace dufty, nene, aitken.
I think Lafai is getting close to being dropped. He needs to hit some form soon. Nighty should be replaced with Herbert, Lomax or Pereria right now, today.

Dragsters

First Grade
I'd move Frizell to prop and play Oaks in the 12 jumper.

Oates wants to play back row but the reason he isn't is his defensive deficiencies.

I think he needs to come to terms with the facts.

It's wing or nothing for me for Oates.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Milward’s done a very good job.

We have a very good team for a while, doesn’t mean they’ll win a comp every year.

Hope he continues to do a very good job.
I agree with you, Alsgi, and find all this recruitment talk a little superfluous. At the moment it is not a case so much of who we have but who the coach wants to pick Round 1 and then stick to throughout the season irrespective of form and even injury.To argue over Korbin Sims' ability is a waste of time - we are stuck with the coach for who knows how long. Mary deserves some credit for the start to this season but it just seems like whoever is in our squad we are really playing with an arm tied behind our backs.

But for the record, from the alternatives of off contract players, I am happy with the recruitment of Korbin Sims. Although I missed Milward's interview, whenever he speaks he does so with rationality in stark contrast to the coach who has a bit of Donald Trump in him - just says what he thinks people want to hear at the time. He loves to say he isn't making excuses before going on to do so.

blacksafake

First Grade
I’m reliably informed Souths offered TPJ 550 & he rejected them, so I can’t see us offering anymore?

Frank Facer

First Grade
Recruitment and retention are two sides of the same coin.
Let’s be specific - we lost LAM, who we were paying around 400k, and were prepared to pay him around 500k. We signed a similarly credentialed and experienced player to replace him. I still haven’t seen any reports on what he will be paid, which I think means it was likely on the lower end, media loves to trumpet anything over 400k and they haven’t.
You seem to be arguing we should have signed TPJ instead, who it’s speculated will be getting anywhere from 550-750, and for us (or anyone beside Brisbane) to get him it would definitely need to be the upper end of that. So he’d instantly be our most expensive forward and 3rd most expensive player behind our halves. Do you genuinely believe we should have bought him and paid him more than our current NSW and Australian Rep Tyson? Then for the next few years between Hunt, Widdop and him we’d be have locked up around 2.5 million per year of the cap. Would that be good management in your view? Be specific OT, it’s easy to bag stuff with vague statements about always upgrading etc, but to be convincing you’ve gotta spell out specifics.
I genuinely think we should have signed Pangai Junior for 750K a season for sure. It would have turned out to be one of the best buys we have made since I have been supporting us since 1979.