What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Test Matches (that dont have their own thread)

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Just a horrible display from Bangladesh, who I thought were on the improve.

I said somewhere before - the windies have shown some pride in their performance over the last year or so.

Bazal

Post Whore
This kid at 8 for Bangladesh is batting brilliantly....2nd test match, 60 at better than a run a ball in a score of 8/130.

Deserves a hundred really but I can't see how he gets there. Absolutely Woakes-esque

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
SA in SL.

SL made 287, SA 126, SL now 4/111 in their 2nd innings 272 ahead.

BAN in WI. WI 345 & 0/12 , BAN 149

vvvrulz

Coach
I like this young West Indies crop - I mean fine it's Bangladesh but they're forming a nucleus around Holder, Brathwaite, Gabriel, Chase, the Hopes', and all without depending on their T20 prima donnas.

They're keeping Test Cricket alive in the Carribbean, and they should only get better with time.

Bazal

Post Whore
I like this young West Indies crop - I mean fine it's Bangladesh but they're forming a nucleus around Holder, Brathwaite, Gabriel, Chase, the Hopes', and all without depending on their T20 prima donnas.

They're keeping Test Cricket alive in the Carribbean, and they should only get better with time.

I think we've been here before, though, so I'm not holding out a load of hope.

The problem is they look good in patches, but because of the players around them and because of their schedule, they inevitably get belted by teams like Australia in Australia (although on form they'd probably beat us in the Windies lol), or by India or South Africa or whoever, and it seems to hurt their development. Add to that their domestic comp is woeful, so these guys need to develop their games in Test cricket, which is difficult.

Guys like Hope and Chase look like best in the world material on their day, but they can't get any consistency and I just feel like that will continue to be a problem and we'll have another crop of Windies bats about whom we all say "yeah he averages 32, but my god on his day he can bat!"

I hope I'm wrong, but I think they really need to fix the grassroots side of it before they can become a proper force again. Sending a guy like Shai Hope back to domestic cricket to work on his deficiencies is completely useless, and it's tough to work on them when you've got bowlers like Starc. Hazlewood, Steyn, Philander, whoever attacking them.

Honestly they should try and get guys like that in the Shield or in County cricket for stints.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Yeah, I'm with Bazal on this.

All they have shown me this season is that Gabriel and Roach are good bowlers - all cricket fans already knew that. Roach was known well before his last tour of Aus years ago; and Gabriel starred vs Pakistan before touring England this time last year. I thought Gabriuel was a fine bowler BEFORE he toured NZ before Christmas last year.

Holder can get wickets when conditions suit swing against Asian batsmen - not really a surprise.

K Braithwaite is good - cricket fans already knew that.

And the rest of the WI top order is still rubbish.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/content/player/252932.html

Kieron Powell is barely an FC batsmen. Shai Hope's brother has been dropped. Roston Chase has gone from mid 40's average to mid 30's and still sliding.

Holder continually holds the batting order together from 7 now instead of 8.

Dowrich: their keeper:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/content/player/431905.html

Has fought hard this home season, but their top order is still crap.

It is utter rubbish.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/content/player/670025.html

Look at Hetmeyer - how is he a test quality batsman right now?

They scrap for runs between Holder and Dowrich and the tail to give Gabriel and Roach something to bowl at. That may work against SL and Bangladesh, but it will not work when the real acid test of seam competent sides tour. And if WI make it a spin track, my money is still on England, SA, NZ, Aus and Pak to take them out.

Roach and Gabriel are more than useful, - underrated even. Gabriel gives his all to be continually in excess of 140 km/h. Guys like that deserve cricket fans respect. Dowrich and Holder have fight and determination. But that top order besides Braithwaite is utter garbage still.

Besides Braithwaite, I have 0 respect for the WI batting line up. I respect Dowrich, Holder, Gabriel and Roach, but that batting line up is not really test standard as yet. I had very high hopes for Roston Chase - I am very disapointed that he has not kicked on.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
A crazy result. SL beat SA by 278 runs.

SA bowled out for 73 in their 2nd innings. A definite spinning pitch with Perera ending up with match figures of 10/78.

Windies beat Bangers by 166 runs

Bazal

Post Whore
Jaarpies might get well and truly pantsed here....they allowed the SL tenth wicket stand to get to 74 runs, setting up a first innings target of 340-odd rather than 280-odd.

Now 1/4 after 8 balls. And for some reason they have Theunis de Bruyn at 3...

Bazal

Post Whore
Aaaaand Pinkie-and De Bruyn scored the same number of runs as his position in the order.

Why the f**k was Amla or Faf not at 3? I mean, SA suck in these conditions based on their performance in the last test, sure, and Amla has been in poor form...but chucking a random batting all-rounder in arguably the most important position in the order (after number 8) is mental

Mr Spock!

Referee
lol saffers all out 124....only 200+ behind.....

I wonder if that Sri Lankan guy will outscore BOTH completed Saffers innings like the last game.

Latest posts