What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vaughn ?

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Vaughan out! Oh noooooo!!

For years I have fretted over losing our star players to injury, suspension or SoO. But in thinking about Vaughan's loss today I am not fretting at all. Why not when Vaughan is such a tremendous player?

The answer is that nothing matters any more to me other than the coach. We start every game at a major disadvantage because of the shiny, bald head in the coach's box. The loss of even a very good, consistent player is secondary to that constant disadvantage under which our boys must play. I have reached the opinion that we on the Forum are just wasting our time considering recruitment and retention, player selection, use of the bench etc until the nightmare of Mary's reign finally comes to an end. Of course for fanatical fans the Forum plays a vital role in providing a means of getting the stuff off our chests as I have just done and in helping us realise that we are not alone in feeling the pain inflicted by the torture our club has imposed upon us.

Now to the a consideration of suggested moves to overcome the loss of Vaughan.

1. Mickey Lane: I like your suggested move of Frizell to prop and Luc to the left edge. I love Frizell but the majority here are right - he continues to run back into the centre so that speed and strength is limited in its value. He wastes his own strengths. I just hope one day we have a coach who can use his significant attributes.

2. Old Timer: Love your nous for the game. I know the name of Allgood was put forward for some fun. I return to Aus this week after 4 months overseas so I only saw a couple of ISP games at the start of the year and Allgood did not stand out. But I imagine that given 20-30 mins off the bench he would at least be competent. But you were not serious. However you suggested the left combo of Lafai/Luc that Mickey suggested could be dodgy in defence and handling. I have not noticed any weakening of the defence on the left with Luc's recent appearances. It does have the advantage of putting Sims into that losing right hand defence which has cost us dearly for 2 seasons. Like you I am a supporter of Mann. While his role as Jack's replacement is not Mary's dumbest idea I detest seeing him in the scrums at prop forward. I gather his preferred side is the left but I would be making a straight swap between Aitken and Mann. Aitken could add something to the team from the bench whereas currently, no matter how many tough metres he makes, he has come to be a genuine liability in defence.

3. To end the season well we need to get away from Mary's idea that we must pick the best team on paper every week because that is the only way we can win every week. This has led us into the position where we are losing every week. To have a professional, full-time squad of 30 but to make it clear you only have faith in the top 17 is an absolute disgrace. I acknowledge any suggested team changes is just for our discussion on the Forum - Mary's only change will be Vaughan's replacement and the return of Nene if fit. But I think de Belin should have a week off. Then in a later game Graham must have a break. As I said above I would replace Aitken in the centres with Mann. For this game put Aitken in Jack's place. Have Sele on the bench to spell him. Later, perhaps a round or two later, replace Graham with Lawrie. When Nene's back, as sad as it makes me, it's time to say goodbye to Nighty.- Pereira's enthusiasm and determination should not be banished to reserves.

sea dragon

Juniors
Vaughan out! Oh noooooo!!

For years I have fretted over losing our star players to injury, suspension or SoO. But in thinking about Vaughan's loss today I am not fretting at all. Why not when Vaughan is such a tremendous player?

The answer is that nothing matters any more to me other than the coach. We start every game at a major disadvantage because of the shiny, bald head in the coach's box. The loss of even a very good, consistent player is secondary to that constant disadvantage under which our boys must play. I have reached the opinion that we on the Forum are just wasting our time considering recruitment and retention, player selection, use of the bench etc until the nightmare of Mary's reign finally comes to an end. Of course for fanatical fans the Forum plays a vital role in providing a means of getting the stuff off our chests as I have just done and in helping us realise that we are not alone in feeling the pain inflicted by the torture our club has imposed upon us.

Now to the a consideration of suggested moves to overcome the loss of Vaughan.

1. Mickey Lane: I like your suggested move of Frizell to prop and Luc to the left edge. I love Frizell but the majority here are right - he continues to run back into the centre so that speed and strength is limited in its value. He wastes his own strengths. I just hope one day we have a coach who can use his significant attributes.

2. Old Timer: Love your nous for the game. I know the name of Allgood was put forward for some fun. I return to Aus this week after 4 months overseas so I only saw a couple of ISP games at the start of the year and Allgood did not stand out. But I imagine that given 20-30 mins off the bench he would at least be competent. But you were not serious. However you suggested the left combo of Lafai/Luc that Mickey suggested could be dodgy in defence and handling. I have not noticed any weakening of the defence on the left with Luc's recent appearances. It does have the advantage of putting Sims into that losing right hand defence which has cost us dearly for 2 seasons. Like you I am a supporter of Mann. While his role as Jack's replacement is not Mary's dumbest idea I detest seeing him in the scrums at prop forward. I gather his preferred side is the left but I would be making a straight swap between Aitken and Mann. Aitken could add something to the team from the bench whereas currently, no matter how many tough metres he makes, he has come to be a genuine liability in defence.

3. To end the season well we need to get away from Mary's idea that we must pick the best team on paper every week because that is the only way we can win every week. This has led us into the position where we are losing every week. To have a professional, full-time squad of 30 but to make it clear you only have faith in the top 17 is an absolute disgrace. I acknowledge any suggested team changes is just for our discussion on the Forum - Mary's only change will be Vaughan's replacement and the return of Nene if fit. But I think de Belin should have a week off. Then in a later game Graham must have a break. As I said above I would replace Aitken in the centres with Mann. For this game put Aitken in Jack's place. Have Sele on the bench to spell him. Later, perhaps a round or two later, replace Graham with Lawrie. When Nene's back, as sad as it makes me, it's time to say goodbye to Nighty.- Pereira's enthusiasm and determination should not be banished to reserves.

possm

Coach
Not so sure having Lafai & Luc on the same side for 80 is such a good idea.
Both are a bit suspect in defence and also a bit too prone to throwing a dumb pass.
Lafai is reckless with the ball in hand sometimes, slowed down a lot but is much more solid in defence than Aitken. We need to move Frizell to prop and promote Lomax to right centre and replace Nightingale.

I'm not comfortable with speed on the flanks.
Speed on the flanks is a big problem and also the defence of Aitken. Its not that he can't tackle, the problem is he gets out of the line too early leaving big gaps or he hangs back and gets wrong footed. The other is he is weak in is his service to the wings. Top centers are experts at the draw and pass but Aitken is not. To me he looks like a forward playing in the backs..

hazzbeen

Bench
Speed on the flanks is a big problem and also the defence of Aitken. Its not that he can't tackle, the problem is he gets out of the line too early leaving big gaps or he hangs back and gets wrong footed. The other is he is weak in is his service to the wings. Top centers are experts at the draw and pass but Aitken is not. To me he looks like a forward playing in the backs..
Said the same about him before , play him in the forwards and he dosnt have to pass the ball or worry to much about sliding with the defense ....

MilanDragon

Juniors
The injury is a blessing in disguise. Forced break and he should come back firing for the finals.

We just need JDB to get a 1-2 week rest in there. Frizz has already had a break.

The others should be okay, maybe J Graham is the only other really needing a break.

J.moz

Juniors
Vaughan all class a real professional just listened to his interview on dragons app regards to rehab. It shows he is doing what it takes to get back on the field with plenty of confidence.

st penguin

Juniors
Said the same about him before , play him in the forwards and he dosnt have to pass the ball or worry to much about sliding with the defense ....

I've seen that suggestion a few times on here.

But isn't he the same size as Nightingale? People lost their shit when he was put in the forwards against Melbourne..

hazzbeen

Bench
I've seen that suggestion a few times on here.

But isn't he the same size as Nightingale? People lost their shit when he was put in the forwards against Melbourne..
I think he is a bit more robust , and lot younger . Yea not sure where he does fit ..... He and Tim both have to pickup their games as does the whole team ...

blacksafake

First Grade
Well done the low performance squad

FMD why was he training given the injury he recently sustained.

Surely they could have approached his injury more conservatively.

Ankle injuries take time to heal.
Possibly Saints Forever but it does say a “Freak” accident so it could of happened anytime. At least it happened at training & not in a game. We’ll know more in the next few days no doubt.

Last edited:

Latest posts