What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Flanagan

St Georgio

Juniors
Its an easy scenario Sign Bennet again with the plan for JD to over, most here like JD to be given a crack and I sure most here would welcome back the man that broke our long drought!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I would say yes to Flanagan. Cronulla has consistently been in the top 8 under Flanno. They even won a comp under him. If it the rumour is true, the fact that he is a premiership winning coach, could be a big factor in us being interested in him. If we did sign him, that would be a blow to Cronulla as well. I would be telling Flanno to have a word to Fifita and bring him with him.

FF, as much as l would like to see Nulla Narks disadvantaged by losing their coach and players, l could never stomach seeing Fatfeeta wearing our red V.

Last edited:

The Damo

Juniors
[QUOTE. Macguire’s the best option uncontracted right now and he’d be a much better fit for our team I think.
Got to say
Having played the game - everyone cops a spray - Fair enough
But If I had Macguire going off like he used to do at South (Everyone saw those videos)
I'd stand up - Punch the Pr!$k in the face and walk out.
If Macguire EVER signed for us I'd immediately throw my membership in. He is another example of whats wrong with the game.

As for Flanagan - he's a shark for years to come, he'll never coach the dragons[/QUOTE]
Yeah, personally I think letting some shonky chemist run an illegal experimental drugs program on a team is much worse for the game than being an angry shouty bastard.

The Damo

Juniors
Would take Maguire (and others) over McGregor but I think we would surely need a more creative coach?
I think Maguire was creative originally with how he built Souths and their game plan. The problem was not adjusting it when personnel changed and the game moved on. Much like Green now with the cows.
And unless we could somehow lure Seibold or Demetriou I don’t know who else there’d be with the creativity and credentials.

I think Maguire was creative originally with how he built Souths and their game plan. The problem was not adjusting it when personnel changed and the game moved on. Much like Green now with the cows.
And unless we could somehow lure Seibold or Demetriou I don’t know who else there’d be with the creativity and credentials.
That’s the modern game now, I think a coaches lifespan at a club is 3/4 years.
Once that period is over the players become immune to the coaches man management tactics and he looses them.

The Damo

Juniors
That’s the modern game now, I think a coaches lifespan at a club is 3/4 years.
Once that period is over the players become immune to the coaches man management tactics and he looses them.
I think you’re right. The only real exception is Bellamy. And he and his situation at Melbourne is clearly exceptional so isn’t a good argument for trying to find a coach who can replicate his success.

Gareth67

First Grade
F**k me ! As if the results of our footy team haven’t been bad enough , now we are embarrassing ourselves even further by having threads with the wishes of Dragon supporters hoping to take a coach from a successful team such as the Sharks .

Why would he leave them ? He has taken them to a premiership only a couple of years ago , plus how many years has he got them into the finals ? But he going to throw all of that away to come to ‘ Heartbreak Hotel ‘ where the money is on par with the talent on the field - yea , for sure .

Why don’t we leave this garbage until the off season and get behind our boys whom are in this years semis .

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
No thanks the McGuire. Only tactic was the forward power game, repeat, repeat, repeat. Sound familiar? Greg Inglis stuffs his knee on the field and can't run, so what does McGuire do? Leave him on the field so he can stuff it more and miss the whole season.

Was nicknamed roadkill at Souths I believe. Don't want him.

possm

Coach
Its an easy scenario Sign Bennet again with the plan for JD to over, most here like JD to be given a crack and I sure most here would welcome back the man that broke our long drought!
Took the words right out my mouth!

The Damo

Juniors
Not keen on Flanno. Would prefer McGuire, Hasler, even Toovey or a new up-and-comer before him.
With the exception of Hasler yes - I personally think he’s gone the NRL coaching equivalent of colonel Kurtz. Was a brilliant coach but the success meant no one noticed he was going slowly mad until it was to late then He sailed right up the river into the heart of darkness and started his own cult, muttering about how dare the board and the players question his methods, no-one has the will to win by only taking short drop outs and banning hookers from running and always running on the last tackle in the red zone and growing front rowers to elephantine proportions and really why have halves pass the ball when you have 140kg props who can pass instead and why would I change an utterly ineffective attack when they just lack the will, and how dare they question my methods the horror the horror.
And then we’d have to hire Charlie Sheen (martins a bit long in the tooth) to track him down and kill him.

With the exception of Hasler yes - I personally think he’s gone the NRL coaching equivalent of colonel Kurtz. Was a brilliant coach but the success meant no one noticed he was going slowly mad until it was to late then He sailed right up the river into the heart of darkness and started his own cult, muttering about how dare the board and the players question his methods, no-one has the will to win by only taking short drop outs and banning hookers from running and always running on the last tackle in the red zone and growing front rowers to elephantine proportions and really why have halves pass the ball when you have 140kg props who can pass instead and why would I change an utterly ineffective attack when they just lack the will, and how dare they question my methods the horror the horror.
And then we’d have to hire Charlie Sheen (martins a bit long in the tooth) to track him down and kill him.
There’s a movie in that somewhere, I’ll contact Rusty, he will have to lose a bit of weight to play Dessy, but I’m sure he has it in him.

dannyt

Coach
Nice analogy, but Charlie's brain is too fried from all the drugs. Probably need Emilio Estevez to take over. But can Flanno "bring us the smell of napalm in the morning"?

BennyV

Referee
For mine, Hasler is a great coach but a terrible recruiter and football manager. His best work was at Manly (when Fulton was pulling the recruitment/retention strings) and his first years at Canterbury, where he was handed a shitty squad and revolutionised the way they played to win the MP and make a GF. When asked to take over recruitment, retention and overall football activities, he flopped. In a system like ours, he’d do well.

That said, not my first choice.

Latest posts