What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Bevan French the most over rated player ever?

simmo05

Bench
Rubbish. Matt Dufty is smaller than French but has much more of a go.

French was great when he first came into first grade but he looks intimidated now, either at wing or fullback.

There are plenty of small guys still having a big impact at the top level. Rugby league does have a problem but the problem isn't that the little guys aren't big enough for NRL nowadays, it's that junior rep coaches and some bonehead fans think they aren't big enough. The same type of people who thought that Thurston and Slater were too small for NRL.

Imagine how many class players were turned away by idiot junior rep coaches because they were told they were too small and would never make it. And instead they picked brainless/heartless 110kg 14 year olds who at that age would just run through everyone but are rubbish once they get to first grade.
Last paragraph is nail on the head stuff

Paulo_w

Juniors
I've got a lot of time for French...I'm sure we'll see his best consistently in the next few years.

Bazal

Post Whore
Rubbish. Matt Dufty is smaller than French but has much more of a go.

Except where having a go means attempting a tackle...

French is at the stage of his career where he needs to find his place. He came onto the scene and made do on his pace and his agility, but he's had a couple of fairly proper injuries now, sides have worked out how he plays and he's in a shit performing side to boot. His confidence is very clearly at rock bottom. He has to work out how to come back a better player again next year.

I think this is a great example of why reserve grade is such important step in the development of players, bar the odd absolute freak who makes the transition flawlessly. French hasn't spent a lot of time in the competition so his learning against men as a footballer has all been in first grade. That's tough.

He has the skills to be a very good player, he just has to learn how to best use them at NRL level. He's only 22

Bazal

Post Whore
People always overrate speed.

His defence and error rate aren't NRL standard.

His tackling is actually excellent, he's very good under a high ball when he's confident too. He's just not big enough to play the classic winger defensively. He knows when to run in, but he struggles to stop the play, so he needs to learn a different method.

I'd also add that it's a classic sign of problems infield when wingers are having to fly in, muppets just blame the winger. Our edge defence has been atrocious for the most part. Takairangi is one the most useless edge defenders in the history of the game, and Jennings (who is normally good) has been appalling all year. Hayne is ok but can get dragged in a lot too....so leaving a lightweight winger isolated makes him look a lot worse than he is.

Timbo

Staff member
Could well be on current form.

Jesus, someone call the burn unit.

Seriously though he's the kind of player that I will be equally unsurprised if he fades out of the game through the lower grades over the next few years, or if he switches clubs, fixes his issues and becomes a 200 game player.

Latest posts