What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett now

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
If Bennett never left this club we would have been a super club now....even Johnny Raper said sell the farm....keep this bloke. With his contacts and standing in the game we would have more tpas and got just about any players we were after

Not true. There were many players who rejected Bennett when he was Dragons’ coach.

FlameThrower

Bench
Wayne Bennett has a track record second to none in the modern era. He brings enormous experience on and off the field and a guaranteed corporate magnet. I for one would welcome him with open arms. His proven track record can’t be questioned and his 3 year stint with us was as per his scope - win a premiership! I would expect that this time around he would have that prime goal but also a succession plan and future proofing the Club. We missed that last time by not wrapping him up for 5 instead of 3 years. If Bennett was to return it would be to complete ‘unfinished business ‘.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Wayne Bennett has a track record second to none in the modern era. He brings enormous experience on and off the field and a guaranteed corporate magnet. I for one would welcome him with open arms. His proven track record can’t be questioned and his 3 year stint with us was as per his scope - win a premiership! I would expect that this time around he would have that prime goal but also a succession plan and future proofing the Club. We missed that last time by not wrapping him up for 5 instead of 3 years. If Bennett was to return it would be to complete ‘unfinished business ‘.

Truth is, just like last time, he knows we have the team to win as well.
He’ll just need to tweak it as he does.

ouryears

Bench
Even using that word shows you for what you are.

A total D head.

If losing means getting rid of Mcidiot, Young and Hornby, I will take that ... above finishing 4th to 8th and suffering Mary and co for another few years

I understand you are happy finishing 6th or so and continuing down this path for another few years.

Wow.

What a lover of mediocrity you are.

Not to mention your use of derogatory words that insult the unfortunate of our society.

Unacceptable.

Gareth67

First Grade
Racking my brains, and while there may not have been an avalanche of players, there were some who declined Bennett’s advancements.

Ennius was one.

Brett Kimorley was another Saint_JimmyG, I do recall after he knocked Bennett back that he - Bennett said that he could not fathom why these players were not interested in coming to the Dragons , could it possibly had something to do with our lousy TPA’s even at that stage ?

However he most certainly had the last laugh by a tremendous 3 year period at the Dragons , culminating in our 1st premiership in 37 years . IMO , he would be able to do the same once again should an appropriate offer was made to him .

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Brett Kimorley was another Saint_JimmyG, I do recall after he knocked Bennett back that he - Bennett said that he could not fathom why these players were not interested in coming to the Dragons , could it possibly had something to do with our lousy TPA’s ?

However he most certainly had the last laugh by a tremendous 3 year period at the Dragons , culminating in our 1st premiership in 37 years . IMO , he would be able to do the same once again should an appropriate offer was made to him .

Yes, I recall the media being awash with the “news” that Kimmorley had rejected Bennett.

Thank God.

BTW, it was only a 31-year drought.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I won't be surprised to see Bennett coaching us next season. Doust is still our CEO, I think signing Bennett again would be Doust's parting gift to us. Doust went very hard for Bennett when he said that he was leaving Newcastle and even had Bennett verbally agreeing to coach us, they had even drawn up a list of recruits to bring to us. Then Bennett changed his mind and went back to Brisbane.

I think we are looking to sign a coach who has won a premiership. That would leave Flanagon, Hasler and Mcguire as other candidates. Out of those three, I think Mcguire would be the most likely that we will sign, but I would take Flanno.

ps, Bellamy, Stuart and Robinson have won comps too, but I can't see us signing any of them for next season.

Last edited:
I think we are looking to sign a coach who has won a premiership. That would leave Flanagon, Hasler and Mcguire as other candidates. Out of those three, I think Mcguire would be the most likely that we will sign, but I would take Flanno.

ps, Bellamy, Stuart and Robinson have won comps too, but I can't see us signing any of them for next season.

I can't see anyone other than Mary being our coach next year. The club will celebrate this year as a success.

Straight Shooter

I can't see anyone other than Mary being our coach next year. The club will celebrate this year as a success.

Straight Shooter
Unfortunately this is proberbly close to the truth.
A 6th or 7th finish and one final will be regarded as a success.
“People said we’d finish last you know”

gregstar

Referee
Unfortunately this is proberbly close to the truth.
A 6th or 7th finish and one final will be regarded as a success.
“People said we’d finish last you know”
yep.

making the finals is an absolute minimum requirement which should be the base achievement each season for a decent coach regardless of roster turnover.

with our current forward pack, creeping would be storming the gates of hell.

f*ck jowls off.

yep.

making the finals is an absolute minimum requirement which should be the base achievement each season for a decent coach regardless of roster turnover.

with our current forward pack, creeping would be storming the gates of hell.

f*ck jowls off.
Can you see our board or CEO doing it though, cause I can’t.

Rob Dragon

Juniors
Sorry good folks, but I have said this before. Paul McGregor will be our coach next year. He will be assisted by Ben Hornby and Dean Young. Until the "sale" is completed the status quo will continue. We are in a financial hole and our mortgagor (the NRL) are not going to allow us to go out and splash money on another coach. All parties will consider that we have done well this year and be satisfied with that. We will continue to bleed good juniors away to other clubs and life will resemble a corridor of revolving doors.

Latest posts