What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Griffen sacked!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
So Griffen had lost the Panther's dressing room.

Word is that Panther's new coach will be someone who can restore player trust.

Clearly one whose appointment will reassure each 1st grade player job security, allow them to play any way they want, and regardless of week-in/ week-out effort, competence, contribution, and form.

Precisely what McGregor brings to the table... don't be surprised if he's headhunted for the job!

If McGregor is headhunted from another club with the view of starting the 2020 season, we should take them to court for not taking him a season earlier.

SGMax

Juniors
Just watching NRL360 interview with Griffin and am very impressed.
I think he could do good things at the Dragons.
Gould sounds like he would be a real knob of a manager to work for.
Griffin sounds like he knows how to coach and develop not just a team but an NRL club.
I recall how seamlessly Bennett returned to the Broncos indicating the team was left in good shape and Griffin had likely been unfairly shafted.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Gould's sacking of Griffen and pursuit of Ivan Cleary shows that Gould thinks a good halfback is more important than the coach. Gould is now pursuing/signed the coach that he sacked only 3 years ago, because it means he keeps Nathan Cleary. I think it is a masterstroke by Gould, I even thought of it myself, before Gould did it. Games are won on the field and Gould obviously agrees with me.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Here is something to consider, If we did sign Ivan Cleary at the end of 2016, then Gould probably would have signed Cleary just as he has done to Wests.

Drag Queen

Bench
Just watching NRL360 interview with Griffin and am very impressed.
I think he could do good things at the Dragons.
Gould sounds like he would be a real knob of a manager to work for.
Griffin sounds like he knows how to coach and develop not just a team but an NRL club.
I recall how seamlessly Bennett returned to the Broncos indicating the team was left in good shape and Griffin had likely been unfairly shafted.
Couldn't agree more. Gould's ego is second to none. God forbid anyone who would challenge him, as we've just seen.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
Hire him NOW!!!!!!
Don't procrastinate - Don't dilly-dally
Hire Him NOW!!!!!

As te head of coaching - let Mary coach we'd be No 1 forever

Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it Do it.........

100% BGB. The irony is that he labelled Griffin "old school" so what the hell does that make him?
Griffen dragged that club out of wooden spoon contention into the finals two years running by focusing on junior development.
His take is they can win the premiership this year and Gus wanted the credit to himself.
I’d say he’s spot on there.

There is also talk Cleary will not come back while Gould is at the club.

The calm one

Juniors
Griffen dragged that club out of wooden spoon contention into the finals two years running by focusing on junior development.
His take is they can win the premiership this year and Gus wanted the credit to himself.

I can’t understand why Cleary would even want to go back. If I was Cleary I would tell him to stick it where the sun don’t shine , considering he had been sacked once and get the tigers to chase his son when he is finished at Penrith. Makes more sense to me

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Yes hewi , that bloke always had the gift of the gab , one of my all time favorite Labour politicians , but back to Cleary he should be taken to court should he do a runner , but I don’t believe that the Tigers will let him go . Besides , if it is good enough for players not to be courted by another club whilst under contract , then the same should apply to the coaches .
MCGREGOR SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET AN EXCEPTION UNDER THE STUPIDITY RULE

BLM01

First Grade
The only thing I agree with Gus about Griffin is that I dont believe he could take them to a premiership. I am judging purely on what I have seen at his time at the Broncos as well with a star studded side.
Dont know him, dont know how players respond to him, cant argue that he is not a good coach or good at turning kids into 1st graders.but for mine their is something missing to have the edge to coach to a premiership victory. Bit like Smithy. Maybe its his dulcid tones. Dont want him at the Dragons.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Gould's sacking of Griffen and pursuit of Ivan Cleary shows that Gould thinks a good halfback is more important than the coach. Gould is now pursuing/signed the coach that he sacked only 3 years ago, because it means he keeps Nathan Cleary. I think it is a masterstroke by Gould, I even thought of it myself, before Gould did it. Games are won on the field and Gould obviously agrees with me.
But he isn't so smart, he pushed the same man out only 3 years ago fully knowing that chances of Nathan coming through we're pretty high...a man with a 5 year plan who couldn't see the writing on the wall 3 years out, I would be embarrassed if I were Gould.

ouryears

Bench
Nothing to do with getting his son to stay.

Gould disliked Griffin because he wasn't a yes man.

Gould is a back stabbing dinosaur.

Got rid of the past 3 coaches, still won nothing.

Now wants to rehire a coach he sacked

Well guess what, Cleary is not going there

Maybe one day, not now.

I know for sure that Cleary won't go there till Gould leaves the dump.

ouryears

Bench

True....all very true.

Frank Facer

First Grade
The only thing I agree with Gus about Griffin is that I dont believe he could take them to a premiership. I am judging purely on what I have seen at his time at the Broncos as well with a star studded side.
Dont know him, dont know how players respond to him, cant argue that he is not a good coach or good at turning kids into 1st graders.but for mine their is something missing to have the edge to coach to a premiership victory. Bit like Smithy. Maybe its his dulcid tones. Dont want him at the Dragons.
I recall that you did want us to sign Griffin, when we first signed Mary.