What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I told you so

ouryears

Bench
Despite the disclaimers, for the first half of the season you thought he was super coach. And you were quite smug in your assessments.

I'm nevertheless glad you've come to your senses.

Straight Shooter
Agree.
All the posters who said Mary is a changed man and coach still find it hard to say oh shit.
Bunch of apologists

WepnutV

Juniors
Are you sure?
How would you know?
How much time has anyone else besides Kurt Mann been given at centre or wing this year?
I don't know if Lomax, Herbert or co would perform better than Aitken, Nightingale and Lafai, but it would be hard not to. The only way anyone will ever get a chance is if someone gets injured. Mary doesn't drop players.
Hahha we been sitting on top of the table all year untill a couple weeks ago why drop players to give blokes who are not ready for first grade a go.. If there's a player that's absolutely carving up every week from the lower grade, I'm sure Mary will drop someone to fit them in.. But there's not, some of them are playing well don't get me wrong, but theres no one playing we'll enough to replace a club legend like Jason Nightingale, or who can set up nene like lafai, or were in state of origin contention like Aitken was.. Its commen sense that they are the best players in there postion..

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Here come the doomsdayers wow, and Saints are still top 4 only 2 wins from 1st. Lowest they have been all year and it is round 22. They may still make top 4 and if so it is what we would have wished for at the start of the season, nah, not these guys expect Saints to be undefeated all season.

It's like they enjoy it more when Saints lose than when they win.
One television at the dump a few years back shows how much I enjoy a Saints loss

Frank Facer

First Grade
Despite the disclaimers, for the first half of the season you thought he was super coach. And you were quite smug in your assessments.

I'm nevertheless glad you've come to your senses.

Straight Shooter
I never said anything of the sort about Mary being a supercoach. I challenge you or anyone else to provide evidence that I did so. I was of the opinion that a coach is only as good as his cattle and that Mary now has better cattle than he has ever had at our club. I was also critical of Mary's continued selection of Aitken and Nightingale all year. I even started a thread saying what I would do if I was coach. while we were still undefeated. Dropping Nightingale and Aitken were 2 things that I would have done. Moving Frizell to prop and dropping Latimore was another thing I would have done.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Hahha we been sitting on top of the table all year untill a couple weeks ago why drop players to give blokes who are not ready for first grade a go.. If there's a player that's absolutely carving up every week from the lower grade, I'm sure Mary will drop someone to fit them in.. But there's not, some of them are playing well don't get me wrong, but theres no one playing we'll enough to replace a club legend like Jason Nightingale, or who can set up nene like lafai, or were in state of origin contention like Aitken was.. Its commen sense that they are the best players in there postion..
I said early in the season that wining was masking out deficiencies and our deficiencies were Nightingale and Aitken. As I said, Mary never gave anyone the opportunity to prove they were better than Aitken and Nightingale. I would have been hard for them to be much worse.

ouryears

Bench
Griffen is worse than Mary in my opinion.. Barret may turn out to be a good coach, but stats wise mary is doing better..
Yes I do think he has picked the right team.
The team he has picked has allowed some youngsters to get a full season of nsw cup under there belt. wich imo is good for development..
This needs an unlike button.

Crush

Coach
So we are 24 hours away from the first game since OV started this thread "I told you so".
I can't wait to watch us steam roll the eels and start building for the finals.
This thread is going to get a work out.
#wenttooearly

Drag Queen

Bench
Can you be more direct with what your point is? Not 100% sure I know what you mean?
I thought it was self explanatory. Are you sure you're that knowledgeable? I'll confess I have the passion, but hardly profess to know all the ins and outs of NRL. Is that direct enough?

Gareth67

First Grade
So we are 24 hours away from the first game since OV started this thread "I told you so".
I can't wait to watch us steam roll the eels and start building for the finals.
This thread is going to get a work out.
#wenttooearly

At the he very least the game is not at Parramatta Stadium thank goodness , otherwise I believe they would eat us for breakfast. Perhaps the wide open spaces of ANZ may work some magic on our boys ( and Mary ) and see the Dragons kick-start their season.

Dragon Blood

Juniors
Yep, this forums depressing considering where we’re sitting.

I don’t mind people venting after a loss but so much of this garbage they call reality checks.

Reality is we’re top 4 with every chance of improving our position and our footy before the Finals. If we limp into the finals, there’s every chance we improve during the finals.

Wish they’d save the vitriol for when and if we bomb out and not whilst we’re in the top 4.

Reality is we have been playing Dragons footy after the Melbourne game at home in early May.

That was 13 weeks ago. Up until then it looked like ad lib exciting stuff to watch, since back then it's been shit Dragons footy that we have all seen since midway through 2011.

The reasons for the pattern are varied and where art thou, but the common denominator is a dopey clueless board for extending a clueless dopey coach.

After watching the decline over the last 13 weeks I'm not at all confident we can win two more games to finish top two, which would probably rely on other games.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
I was going to create a thread for this post but decided we already have enough so in here will have to do.
Without going back and bumping individual posts or threads I think if most are honest you will know who you are.

What do you all think about it now?

People who continually post statistics to try and validate we are doing well and there was nothing to be concerned about.
People who endlessly post that our injury / fatigue toll is OK and manageable and within acceptable parameters.
People who get down on people who said that this was coming.
People who blindly believe that winning a few games early is a panacea for getting continually smashed late in the year.
People who are not willing to recognise other teams below us are improving whilst we are going backwards and now in total free fall.
People who believe that Millward is doing a good job (FFS have a real look at the roster) and that a coach is all we need.
People that believed Hunt & Graham were the missing links and would lead us to the promised land.
People that think we have the best forward pack in the comp.
People that think we have 1 of the top 3 or 4 halves combinations.
Person (I think there can only be 1) that thinks that Mc Fookknuckle is or will be a good coach let alone a premiership winning coach.
Person who said we have more chance of winning 4 games than Tigpies.
People who think it is impossible that we could lose 4 more games this year.
People who said it's not a mess.
People who though Terrigal was good idea and would prove beneficial.
People who think that making the semis is really good and an acceptable improvement on last year.

What a tragic mess this all is and worthy of the "Theban Plays".

"All men make mistakes, but a good man yields when he know his course is wrong, and repairs the evil. The only crime is pride"
Sophocles

Frank Facer

First Grade
I am actually surprised by our fall from grace. I thought we were a better team this year. I know some may be laughing about what I just wrote.

I thought we had one of the best packs in the comp at the start of the year and I still do think we have one of the best packs in the comp, but our pack hasn't been performing like it was earlier in the season.

I did think we had one of the best pairs of halves in the comp. Again our halves started off the season in very good form. I expected them to keep improving. Hunt got his cork and then lost form. He then got dropped to the bench for origin, but he was playing well enough to be picked for origin in first place.

Our form up to origin was really good. The drop since origin is too alarming.

I still think that Hunt and Graham have both been good buys for us this year.

I still won't criticise Millward. I don't think he has the TPA's to compete with some other clubs. We were apparently trying to get B Morris and or Rapana by the June 30 deadline this year. Either of them would have been good purchases. I do however question his long term signings of Aitken and Lafai. We also do lack depth. I still think that this is the best roster we have had since Bennett was here. I think Millward inherited a mess.

I think that we are the only club that fatigue is an issue. I still don't buy the fatigue theory.

I do think we have the nucleus of a good team, but we do need to replace our 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Widdop is too hot and cold. I am abig fan of Dufty, but am also aware of his deficiencies. He probably had the worst game of his career today. We also need a new coach, with some fresh new ideas. I wanted us to sack Mary and sign Cleary 2 years ago. I wanted Mary gone at the end of last year.