What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The trouble with St. George Illawarra

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
*Watches from the sidelines*.

If December 31 2000 marked the end of the 20th century, I don’t understand how anyone can counter that January 1 2001 didn’t start the first decade of the new millennium.

Ergo, the ‘naughties’ (as it was facetiously described) finished after 31 December, 2010.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
He’s not wrong on this occasion.
facepalm-gif-13.gif

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Nope. Willow’s wrong there too..

Doesn’t happen very often..
I used to think like you, so I was wrong back then, But I eventually saw the error in my ways.

There was no year zero, just year 1. Imagine you are in 1 AD. 1 year has passed, indeed the first year of this new fangle system. 2 AD follows... that's 2 years! My how time flies.

So... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 , 9, 10 AD. That's 10 years, and therefore the first decade.

Decade
noun
a period of ten years.
dictionary.com

By your definition, the first decade was 0-9 AD, which of course is not logical or possible because there was no year in 0.

On the last day of 9 AD, only 9 years had passed. On the first day of 10 AD, 9 years and one day had passed.We must wait until midnight at the end of 10 AD for the first decade to pass.

FTR, my father had this debate when he was a young man. I'm sure my grandfather did as well. So this argument has whiskers on it.

Last edited:

st penguin

Juniors
I used to think like you...

My maths teacher used to say that when you come up with an answer, take a step back and think “does this makes sense?”

In this case, you are trying to argue that the year 2000 was in the 90’s

You are trying to say 1990 was not in the 1990’s.

The dragons did not win a grand final in the oughties!

(The clue is in the number people!)

Frank Facer

First Grade
The first decade started the year 10AD and ended the year 19 AD.

The decade of the 90's started 1990 and ended in 1999. The year 2000 was not part of the decade of the 90's.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
It starts at year zero just like a lift starts at ground floor and goes up to level one etc.

Unless your the Dragons where you start at the top and work your way down.

Latest posts