What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers sack Griffin 4 weeks from finals

OldPanther

Coach
Maybe Fletcher coming out yesterday saying they would not pay out a coach for 2019.
You think Ivan only made his mind up just before the conference. Operation save face.

And how about Gould and "we won't stop NC signing else where" - the timing of that absolutely stinks. Trump play book type shite.

Grubby episode by your club and Gould - Gould in particular has proved a conflict of interest with his media presence and Penrith duties.

I agree, Gus takes things too far in the media. He thinks he's the best PR guy ever which makes things worse than they'd otherwise be.

unforgiven

Bench
I'm following the facts. If Ivan had come out and said something damning for the Panthers so be it but he didn't. So far all the facts support me and it's people filling in gaps with their imagination that are against Panthers.
Penrith were caught with their hand in the cookie jar and their excuse is, "I was only looking for which one I'd eat later" I wouldn't believe my 5 year old daughter if she said that.

OldPanther

Coach
Penrith were caught with their hand in the cookie jar and their excuse is, "I was only looking for which one I'd eat later" I wouldn't believe my 5 year old daughter if she said that.

When were they caught? We've been told from the start exactly what Ivan said in his press conference.

A few media outlets said a contract had been offered but there clearly wasn't.

From Tigers fans on r/nrl regarding this which are pretty accurate in my opinion:

"I think me and a lot of other fans got carried away about this, but I'm not sure it's exactly our faults. We didn't start this whole media circus which was perpetrated to get exactly the reaction it got. I just wish Ivan had come out and talked to the media earlier to sort the whole thing out"

"Hooper started this circus as a Tigers fan you wouldn't be surprised. But he hasn't named a source in his life and always is forgotten about when it all turns to be bullshit. Most of the anger should be at him."

Das Hassler

Bench
No one comes out of this looking real good tbh. PR disaster for all concerned.

Hmm....tigers management pretty much did to be fair. ....and balanced

To add.....Gus has massively damaged his media stock. ...Ivan's had a jarring close call and has come out of it with a few scratches that can be buffed out.

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench
When were they caught? We've been told from the start exactly what Ivan said in his press conference.

A few media outlets said a contract had been offered but there clearly wasn't.

From Tigers fans on r/nrl regarding this which are pretty accurate in my opinion:

"I think me and a lot of other fans got carried away about this, but I'm not sure it's exactly our faults. We didn't start this whole media circus which was perpetrated to get exactly the reaction it got. I just wish Ivan had come out and talked to the media earlier to sort the whole thing out"

"Hooper started this circus as a Tigers fan you wouldn't be surprised. But he hasn't named a source in his life and always is forgotten about when it all turns to be bullshit. Most of the anger should be at him."
They approach Ivan about coaching Panthers, Ivan confirmed that, he even stated he didn't know the meeting was about coaching. Hand in the cookie jar!

OldPanther

Coach
Hmm....tigers management pretty much did to be fair. ....and balanced

To add.....Gus has massively damaged his media stock. ...Ivan's had a jarring close call and has come out of it with a few scratches that can be buffed out.

Tigers were good standing their ground, the fans deserve a club out for its own interests but the part about bullying was weird.

OldPanther

Coach
They approach Ivan about coaching Panthers, Ivan confirmed that, he even stated he didn't know the meeting was about coaching. Hand in the cookie jar!

Yeah they gauged his interest in coming back at some point. I never disputed that. Everyone including Tigers fans think he is interested once his Tigers contract is up.

unforgiven

Bench
Yeah they gauged his interest in coming back at some point. I never disputed that. Everyone including Tigers fans think he is interested once his Tigers contract is up.
As i said caught with their hand in the cookie jar and their excuse is I was looking at the cookie I'm going to eat in 2 years. That's garbage, this blew up in their face and they have been playing catch up all week trying to not look like the lying, grubby club that they have proven to be.

TheFrog

Coach
Everyone just trying to cover their own arse in this. If Penrith had been able to make this happen without blood being spilt, Ivan would have been all for it.

ed-grimley

Bench
No one comes out of this looking real good tbh. PR disaster for all concerned.
Even Cleary appeared to have given Penrith's approach consideration.
He has now committed to the Tigers for the time being which is a bit of a plus for him.

unforgiven

Bench
Everyone just trying to cover their own arse in this. If Penrith had been able to make this happen without blood being spilt, Ivan would have been all for it.
Agreed, that doesn't absolve the Panthers of the mess they caused, no matter how much oldpanther tries to convince people they didn't. They are as grubby as the storm, roosters etc.

TheFrog

Coach
Agreed, that doesn't absolve the Panthers of the mess they caused, no matter how much oldpanther tries to convince people they didn't. They are as grubby as the storm, roosters etc.
A lesson in humility for the Great Gus, who of course learnt the trade at the Roosters. Trouble is, now the club has to try to win the premiership with a rookie coach.

big hit!

Bench
If Ivan left the Tigers, his statements would be hollow, authority compromised, & basically any chance of a successful coaching career was over.

he publicly asked players at the Tigers to buy into him and the club. leaving would've made him am absolute fraud

mxlegend99

Referee
2 years is a long time in RL. This doesn't line up right for me.

Does NC just re-sign until the end of 2020? If he signs longer and the "interim" coach wins a premiership then what?

Part of the reason Griffin was sacked was that they believed he couldn't take them to a premiership level. Hard to see the Panthers sitting on their hands for two years waiting for Ivan if they believe they're just a decent coach away and what decent coach would sign on knowing it's a 2 year seat warming position?

Either those quotes are lies or they're taking one hell of a gamble and hoping all their ducks fall into line.
Panthers motives here are clear. Ivan coming in 2021 secures Nathan Cleary now and beyond then. Ivans a good coach, but Nathan is the real reason they approached him about a possible return. He can easily get a clause for release if we dont get Ivan.

A 2 year seat warming position sounds like a shit job. But its perfect for Wayne Bennett. The premiership window isnt closed with him and he wouldn't want anything longterm.

If Tigers sacked Cleary before 2 years is up. Ivan can work with Wayne and get to coach Nathan that way.

OldPanther

Coach

I never said we didn't cause a mess. Whether directly or indirectly the club's actions and the following media circus caused all of this.

I just think we aren't the super evil club everyone seems to think. If Ivan had said we wanted him to break his contract I would've been very angry at the club.