What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Knights 2019 Team

Knight Vision

First Grade
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/05...---preferred-clubs-timeslots-expansion-nines/

The verdict: The three teams with arguably the most consistent record of success over the past decade have all featured in the top three. No doubt some players voted for the team they supported growing up, but clearly some based on an appetite for success. The Gold Coast Titans have traditionally struggled to attract big name players but they’ve finished fourth of all clubs. Perhaps the lifestyle and weather is an attraction to players. Some of the Sydney competition giants didn’t even feature in the top 10.

Others that polled well: Newcastle Knights, North Queensland Cowboys, Wests Tigers

Haffa

Beast it It will be interesting behind our current pack though.

If we added Kapow and Klemmer ( nice to dream ) ya can just give us the Premiership now
Let’s be realistic they’ll all get injured in their first few games. We can’t have nice things.

Yosh

Coach
How come there is no more news regarding middle forwards? We need to throw some big bucks at some middle forwards. We shouldn't even be wasting a single minute looking at players in other positions. It won't matter... We have four middle forwards in the squad who will can be considered first grade standard: Guerra, Ese'ese, Glasby and Saifiti. We need AT LEAST 3 more players who are at least that quality.

I can't get excited at the signing of Ramien because it won't matter how good our outside backs are, if we don't have any middle forwards.

Swarzey

Bench
There's nobody on the market. Nobody. There are players with issues at clubs with the potential of becoming available for 2019 but our club, no club can talk directly to them. We can throw big bucks at middle forward sure; if you want to throw it all away on emerging Jersey Flegg and NSWC/QLDC tier players.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
As it stands with the current squad

1. Ponga
2. Lee
3. Ramien
4. Moga
5. SKD
6. Watson
7. Pearce
8. Ese’ese
9. Griffin
10. Glasby
11. Fitzgibbon
12. Mata’utia
13. Guerra

14. Levi
15. Barnett
16. Buhrer (assuming he stays)
17. D Saifiti

18. Ross
19. J Saifiti
20. Sio (assuming he stays)

Another year of mid table mediocrity coming up until we can sign some decent back up halves and 2 decent forwards.

Yosh

Coach
I think Sione should be a bench forward with Guerra pushed out to the edge, Ese'ese at 13 and a prop better than Glasby to partner him. Buhrer needs to be 18-20 not in our 17. It's such a pity we couldn't snag a big name forward like Klemmer. I would still. Be very interested in Merrin.

Old dog

Juniors
We currently have 21 signed, leave out top 13 with Sione covering centre with Moga and Griff not playing round 1due to injuries/not fit leaves 6 players for reserves, Ross, King, JSaf, Stone, Barnett and Saulo. We will need to make a few signings, at least 9 or 10 of which half need to be strong props and good backups for 1sts then pick rest from unsigned group, u20's or other clubs.

Yosh

Coach
Highlights the fact we need to find someone to kick goals for next season

http://www.nospam47.com/au/league/n...tage-mitchell-moses/lkabge4s4iuq1t9rluidkjafv

"The Knights’ woes when kicking from the sideline have left them wanting, particular given three of their last six defeats have come by single-figure margins - including two by just two points."

That's a pretty promising statistic. I think we haven't been as bad as the table suggests this year. We've barely had our spine on the field at the same time and lost a lot of games by a couple of points. If we were a little luckier in terms of injuries and had a decent kicker, we'd probably be 9th or even 8th.

I can't see how next year could be worse than this year. Unless we get super unlucky with injuries again. On paper we look stronger next year but still lacking some middle forwards but hopefully we make some last minute signings again.

Knight Vision

First Grade
That's a pretty promising statistic. I think we haven't been as bad as the table suggests this year. We've barely had our spine on the field at the same time and lost a lot of games by a couple of points. If we were a little luckier in terms of injuries and had a decent kicker, we'd probably be 9th or even 8th.

I can't see how next year could be worse than this year. Unless we get super unlucky with injuries again. On paper we look stronger next year but still lacking some middle forwards but hopefully we make some last minute signings again.
I do agree with everyone saying we have bad luck with injuries, but I do wonder if we are just imagining it? Does every clubs fans think the same ? I think lack of depth has hurt us badly this year.

We're a Marty Kapow or Klemmer away from making huge inroads into the 8 next season IMHO.

macavity

Referee
I do agree with everyone saying we have bad luck with injuries, but I do wonder if we are just imagining it? Does every clubs fans think the same ? I think lack of depth has hurt us badly this year.

We're a Marty Kapow or Klemmer away from making huge inroads into the 8 next season IMHO.

Unlike top clubs we need to run out our top 17 every week to even compete... and even then, we have players in the top 17 who don't make most sides.

Add in a horrific injury toll seemingly every year and we are on the back foot.

Yosh

Coach

As much as I love Klemmer, I would love to have our best forward named KAPOW!

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
The injuries we’ve had cannot be overstated this season imo. Our first choice 1,6,7 & 9 have played like 2 full games together. And it’s not like there’s been one or two injuries. They’ve all spent time on the sidelines, Pearce missed 9 or 10 games, Watson at least 7 or 8 so far and Griffin the whole back end of the season. Ponga hasn’t missed a couple as well and has clearly played busted the last few weeks too.

Then add the fact that we lost Moga for the whole year plus a long term injury to Jacob S and medium term/niggling injuries to Dan S, Ross, Lillyman, Buhrer, Lamb & Fitzgibbon it’s pretty easy to see why we haven’t been in the finals reckoning this year. That’s basically 2/3 of our best 17 and 3/4 of our spine who have spent significant time on the sidelines. There aren’t many clubs who would be able to cover that sort of injury crisis.

The way I see it next year is that our spine will be better when they actually get to play together, our backline is much better, our forward pack is marginally better and our depth is about the same. Considering we will win 8-9 games this year with such a bad run with injuries I would say we should aim for 12 wins next year hopefully with a few less injuries.

Obviously injuries are unavoidable and we still need squad depth to cover next year too but this year has been one of the worst I can remember since I started following this team. The only year I can remember it being worse was 2005 where it seemed like we basically ran our reserve grade side out every week. Happy for someone to prove me wrong on this but it’s been horrendous watching our key players limping off the field or being carried off every week.

Burwood

Bench
The worst thing about the injuries is that it basically sets us back 12 months with forming combos. When/if we get our preferred spine on the park next year, they’ll still have to learn each other’s games and nuances. You could see in the opening two rounds how clunky our attack was- unfortunately these things take time, and it will only happen by playing minutes together on the field.

Latest posts