What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: England v India at Lords Aug 9-13 2018

TheParraboy

Staff member
Well, looks like we may not need that 6th day,

nor a 5th day if poms crumble as well...

Eelectrica

Referee
so

raises the debate, should there be a 6th day in reserve for wash out days if needed?
What I was going to say earlier was that if they ever go to 4 day test matches, they'd need a 5th day reserve in case of bad weather. I'm happy enough for 5 day games to not have an extra though.

Looks like this game will only last 3 days though. Could still be a tight finish despite England knocking India over cheaply. England don't want to be chasing much more than 150 in the 4th.

Bazal

Post Whore
What I was going to say earlier was that if they ever go to 4 day test matches, they'd need a 5th day reserve in case of bad weather. I'm happy enough for 5 day games to not have an extra though.

Looks like this game will only last 3 days though. Could still be a tight finish despite England knocking India over cheaply. England don't want to be chasing much more than 150 in the 4th.

England would like to not have to bat a second time, tbh. Dunno what the forecast is but if it's bright and sunny then batting will be totally different tonight. The wicket will still be a bit lively from all the moisture so the Poms will want to survive that and do their best to get a 250 plus lead if possible.

Of course if it's still grey and damp we might have the kind of Test match where 180 is a winning total.

Bazal

Post Whore
Buttler's gone now. Who burned their reviews? I mean I think Buttler would stay out anyway but to have zero reviews by the fall of the fourth wicket is poor IMO

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Woakes, the greatest odi 8 to touch a bat is batting in the Dujon famous 7 position here, but still looking better than sandpaper or Joe Root to Warner or his fist.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
Woakes with a 50 and the wicket of Kohli - greatest allrounder since Mutch Marsh.

Come on man , he was batting at no7. :smiley:

Team India in a world of pain. Something similar to what we will be experiencing v Pakistan in October

Woakes 120no, Curran 22no
Lead of 250

They would like another 100 if they can get it.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Come on man , he was batting at no7. :smiley:

Team India in a world of pain. Something similar to what we will be experiencing v Pakistan in October

Woakes 120no, Curran 22no
Lead of 250

They would like another 100 if they can get it.

With the weather predicted to be bad, it wouldn't be so bad for England to be trundled out early. India will be playing for a draw. England has a 250 run lead already.

So I'd like to see some good old fashioned slogging from England when play resumes on time - or if it rains for a while then just declare.

Hit out or get out, and get the result. I don't think England needs more than 50 more runs in this innings. Pujara is going to block and Dhawan is dropped, so that only leaves Rahul, Kohli and Pandya with a higher gear, but Kohli will play it slow until the tail is in.

2 rainy days ahead, England should be more focused on winning this game with the bad weather around than worrying about whether they will need to bat twice or not. That said, both Woakes and Curran do have the ability to hit and clear boundaries frequently, and really demolish any bowler, so you may get your 100 runs, but if so I hope they do it in much less than a session.

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
lol @ team India.
Lol @ away teams.

Test cricket is f**ked atm.

India need dust bowls.
Australia need roads.
England need the ball to hoop.

The Saffas are probably the only team that can reliably win on two or more of the major away tours.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Lol @ away teams.

Test cricket is f**ked atm.

India need dust bowls.
Australia need roads.
England need the ball to hoop.

The Saffas are probably the only team that can reliably win on two or more of the major away tours.

Saffas are as incompetent as Eng and Aus in Asia now. They've lost their Asia mojo post ABdV and with Amla on the decline despite Maharj's development as a spinner.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Saffas are as incompetent as Eng and Aus in Asia now. They've lost their Asia mojo post ABdV and with Amla on the decline despite Maharj's development as a spinner.
Agreed.

That's why I said "two of the three major tours" :D Referring to Aus and England.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Agreed.

That's why I said "two of the three major tours" :D Referring to Aus and England.
Yeah - I thought you were talking of the money tours as "major" tours, which is totally disrespectful to SA cricket talents, but you somehow omitted that 5th placed England (like is 5th out of 9 teams incl WI and Bangladesh seriously still "major" but for pounds sterling?) beat Safrica home and away of late, so two is being generous to a team that is consistently getting weaker as its batsmen ages (to clarify - that's SA, Eng just have Root, Cook and 3 spuds). 2 years ago I would have agreed that Safrica was the best in all conditions, but not now. SA, Aus, Eng all have batting issues where the ball turns - which is half the cricket world.

We're actually getting to the point that India is the best cricket nation (gifted a huuuuuuuge benefit of not having to face Pakistan at home or away)- yet they still suck having lost away last in Eng, SA, NZ and Aus. I don't think this is necessarily bad for cricket, but it would be nice to have some teams learn how to play well in alien conditions from those that they enjoy at home.

Ind batsmen may suck in swinging conditions, but they score huge on turners. And this summer, I think they may well have Aussie's number without Smith and Warner. Even if they keep playing Hardik Potato.

I'm still undecided who I want to win the series. I'd normally support anyone playing Australia. And if Smith and Warner were playing, I would support India. I guess I just don't like someone being basically gifted the toughest series win away there used to be. But in ten or twenty years time, that mantle will probably be India's anyway.

Last edited: