What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 v Titans

GongPanther

Referee
Also add: don't f**king run yourself into touch on the first or second tackle, you complete muppets.
Those piggyback penalties raise my ire more than anything. I get it that they give them away to reform the defensive structures,but that tactic should only be applied when they are 10 yards within our line in the red zone.

GongPanther

Referee
My big fear is Melbourne totally picking Peach's positioning apart in the last round shattering his confidence the week before we play finals
The way we have fought back from the past 3 games,and be leading the comp and fight our way back to 4th spot, confidence is not a problem.

We simply need to get things right from start to finish.

Pomoz

Bench
Fullback is too important a position to leave to someone new going into the finals, I’d gladly weaken the wing if it means DWZ going back to FB.

Phillips is a fairly capable winger. I’d keep Whare at centre because he’s finding form. Peach back the bench.
Have you seen the Melbourne wingers? Gulp...

Abacus

Juniors
If I was the opposition, what's the last thing you want Peachey to have? Space.

Which position on the field has the most space, ability to roam and generally suits Peachey down to the ground? Fullback.

Will we have our hearts in our mouths everytime a bomb goes up? Probably, but I'm not sure thats any different with DWZ.

Honestly, apart from DWZ maybe running it back harder I'm not sure why everyone is so eager to have him at FB. Certainly I've seen enough from Peachey at FB in attack to rate him ahead of DWZ.

Dufmack

Juniors
I agree keep peachey at the back next week, the jury is still out. However, whoever our fullback is for the finals needs to play last round against the storm there and we will base that on how the peach goes next 2 starts.

GongPanther

Referee
If I was the opposition, what's the last thing you want Peachey to have? Space.

Which position on the field has the most space, ability to roam and generally suits Peachey down to the ground? Fullback.

Will we have our hearts in our mouths everytime a bomb goes up? Probably, but I'm not sure thats any different with DWZ.

Honestly, apart from DWZ maybe running it back harder I'm not sure why everyone is so eager to have him at FB. Certainly I've seen enough from Peachey at FB in attack to rate him ahead of DWZ.
V Melbourne,I'd rather have DWZ at the back matching the big Melbourne chasers coming through. Peachy at FB will be found wanting.

Abacus

Juniors
V Melbourne,I'd rather have DWZ at the back matching the big Melbourne chasers coming through. Peachy at FB will be found wanting.
Leaving us with Mansour & Crighton/Phillips on the wings? No need to worry about your FB, Storm will kick for their more athletic wingers and have a field day. I'd rather DWZ v Vunivalu.
Limits our attack and gives their defense less to worry about. Also no guarantee DWZ copes any better than Peachey.
Serious question, why so keen for DWZ at FB?

Whino

Bench

Like Bennett Bellamy will focus on Peach's weaknesses and pick his game apart. The good coaches are good at that.

TeamSatan

Juniors
My big fear is Melbourne totally picking Peach's positioning apart in the last round shattering his confidence the week before we play finals
Exactly what will happen.
Peach has a big go but he is always a few metres out of position.
Good teams will expose that.

OldPanther

Coach
I think Peachey at FB being a problem is overblown.

I'd rather a back 3 of:

Peachey
Mansour
DWZ

Vs

DWZ
Mansour
Phillips/Crighton

Moving Whare also ruins the best part of our team at the moment.

GongPanther

Referee
Leaving us with Mansour & Crighton/Phillips on the wings? No need to worry about your FB, Storm will kick for their more athletic wingers and have a field day. I'd rather DWZ v Vunivalu.
Limits our attack and gives their defense less to worry about. Also no guarantee DWZ copes any better than Peachey.
DWZ is much taller and experienced at the back. Peachy isn't what you'd call a confidence player if one thing goes wrong early as it did last week when he dropped a catch stone cold. Against Melbourne,it's all to do with covering all possible scenarios without overthinking it too much.

GongPanther

Referee
Like Bennett Bellamy will focus on Peach's weaknesses and pick his game apart. The good coaches are good at that.
When we played Brisbane,that simply wasn't us. I'm going to base my logic on this being a new Panthers side. Sure,we sucked yesterday (Sat),but I was willing to forgive that even if we lost.

Now that we have that game out of our system,we can use the next few games to improve on what needs to be applied before we play the big guns.

I have a renewed fervor for our side. All they need is a chance to put it together,and the support from the fans.

Whino

Bench

My point of view I think we have been lucky with Peachey at F/B with the opposition we have played. Manly, The Titans or the Raiders this year don't know how to consistently build up pressure and push up hard on line.
Peach is still learning but has made a few mistakes and been caught out of position a few times. The Manly game for one where Mansour and DWZ had to clean up 2 or 3 times in that game. He was out of position or failed to read the play and both wingers had to hastily mop up his absence at the back. At least twice in that game it was his ball to clean up.
I get it he is still learning but it takes years of training to be a good fullback. I don't feel comfortable with him there against the better teams that know how to build pressure and push up hard on the line on the last. That said I don't feel comfortable with Crichton on the wing either.

I understand the other weakness of having someone like Crichton on the wing stuffing up but I shudder with the thought of either of them defusing one of Cronk's pin point kicks under pressure in a semi.
There is no easy answer with the players we have out. I think it would be a waste to move Whare to the wing and place Peach in the centres.

I like his attack chiming in the line but I would feel safer with DWZ cleaning up at the back. Whether they could share the role that remains to be seen.
I don't have the answer just doubts.

kinghippo

Juniors
I am trying to get my head around why we are the way we are, it obvious we have lost our groove in the middle of the park.

JFH, RCG and Yeo were axing any forward that got the ball during our patch of good form.
Wallace was keeping us stable as well.

Now opponents are getting quick play the balls that kills the up and in defence.

To many penalties against them because of the quick play the balls hurts and the extra space gives teams time to target Maloney.
Everyone is worried about Jimmy which in turn leaves us open to the inside pass away from him or teams going straight past him as we have seen since origin.

His bodyguards have been struggling to get back to save him from making one on one tackles because of the quick play the balls and offloads we are conceding.
so many tries have come directly from Maloneys defence that our whole defensive line is folding around him.
add the intercept pass that has become his trade mark and he can be blamed for a large portion of our bad form.

Maloney needs a break for a couple of games, bring him back for the storm match. He is busted, tired and struggling.

I am not anti Maloney and think we need him to get better, he just needs a refresher before the finals.

Abacus

Juniors
DWZ is much taller and experienced at the back. Peachy isn't what you'd call a confidence player if one thing goes wrong early as it did last week when he dropped a catch stone cold. Against Melbourne,it's all to do with covering all possible scenarios without overthinking it too much.
Didn't Peachey score 2 tries and give last pass for another last week? And he took the final bomb against Manly under pressure?

I still think it comes down to Peachey giving more variety in attack than DWZ - so we can apply our own pressure to Melbourne rather than just looking to mitigate and contain.

Abacus

Juniors
My point of view I think we have been lucky with Peachey at F/B with the opposition we have played. Manly, The Titans or the Raiders this year don't know how to consistently build up pressure and push up hard on line.
Peach is still learning but has made a few mistakes and been caught out of position a few times. The Manly game for one where Mansour and DWZ had to clean up 2 or 3 times in that game. He was out of position or failed to read the play and both wingers had to hastily mop up his absence at the back. At least twice in that game it was his ball to clean up.
I get it he is still learning but it takes years of training to be a good fullback. I don't feel comfortable with him there against the better teams that know how to build pressure and push up hard on the line on the last. That said I don't feel comfortable with Crichton on the wing either.

I understand the other weakness of having someone like Crichton on the wing stuffing up but I shudder with the thought of either of them defusing one of Cronk's pin point kicks under pressure in a semi.
There is no easy answer with the players we have out. I think it would be a waste to move Whare to the wing and place Peach in the centres.

I like his attack chiming in the line but I would feel safer with DWZ cleaning up at the back. Whether they could share the role that remains to be seen.
I don't have the answer just doubts.
I hear you. How could anyone be confident with our team?

Abacus

Juniors
3cm according to their NRL profiles.