What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangs

Coach
New coach will certainly see some roster changes for 2019.

Will start taking a few stabs at it when the new man is announced.

Elijah Taylor appears to only have an NRL career under Ivan Cleary. Might be the first across.

mxlegend99

Referee
Trent Merrin
Hopefully to buy a decent number 9 because Katoa is doing my head in
Based on reported signing figures.

Merrin is only on ~$600k.
Tamou is the one closer at ~$750k.

Maloney is our only $800k+ player. Well unless the new RCG and Kikau contracts were that big. But that's hard to imagine with them never being off contract.

Bob

Juniors
Based on reported signing figures.

Merrin is only on ~$600k.
Tamou is the one closer at ~$750k.

Maloney is our only $800k+ player. Well unless the new RCG and Kikau contracts were that big. But that's hard to imagine with them never being off contract.
Look at the author of the piece, Merrin is being shopped around, Ellis could do the same job as him for a lot less money except maybe the borat impersonations
I’d seriously like to see Gus have a crack at the younger Brailey brother

Whino

Bench
I don't know what is going to happen with Nathan the end of the year but I thought I would share this quote from him during yesterdays press conference about Penrith.

"As soon as I walked into training it felt like I was home. This is my second home. I love the boys out there. They made it easy for me to focus on my footy.''

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/na...ml?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed

Its been a tough week for him he talks about not being able to sleep at times and how lies in social media had hurt his Mother. As you can see with the above quote the club, Ciraldo and his team mates mean a lot to more to him than some think. Tough times you remember who is there for you.
I hope that is a good sign come later in the year.

I don't know what is going to happen with Nathan the end of the year but I thought I would share this quote from him during yesterdays press conference about Penrith.

"As soon as I walked into training it felt like I was home. This is my second home. I love the boys out there. They made it easy for me to focus on my footy.''

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/na...ml?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed

Its been a tough week for him he talks about not being able to sleep at times and how lies in social media had hurt his Mother. As you can see with the above quote the club, Ciraldo and his team mates mean a lot to more to him than some think.
I hope that is a good sign come later in the year.
I have no doubt that Ivan will be joining him, here soon. If that is next year, or the year after, who knows. I also believe that Ivan wants to come back.

ashton

Juniors
Trent Merrin
Hopefully to buy a decent number 9 because Katoa is doing my head in
I agree with you on Katoa that we won't win a comp with him at hooker. Too many mistakes and penalties in his game.
The other problem is Peachy at fullback.....surely DWZ is a better option.

TheFrog

Coach
The other problem is Peachy at fullback.....surely DWZ is a better option.
Peach is far from perfect in the 1 but who do you suggest we play on DWZ's wing?

Solving a minor problem by creating a major one.

I agree with you on Katoa that we won't win a comp with him at hooker.
It can now be seen why Hook didn't want to drop Wallace.

Last edited:

tripster

Juniors
It can now be seen why Hook didn't want to drop Wallace.

I wouldn’t be ruling Katoa out yet. He is still early in his career. It was his trickery in dummy half that set up the half break for RCG that Cleary then carried on with and which lead to the Blake try. He has put our forwards into gaps on a number of occasions in a way that Wallace never could.

I think his problem is decision making later in the first and second half after he starts to tire. It is at that point I think he starts to struggle. He is a pretty big body, so it might not be possible for him to ever be fit enough to play 80 minutes. The alternative is we carry Egan on the bench and rotate them, like the Sharks do with Seggy and Brailey. The difficulty is then finding a spot for May. We can’t really carry May and Egan on the bench, unless they decide to bulk May up and play him in the back row or lock off the bench.

martielang

Bench
Yep, Katoa has been very good up until the last couple of games. Plenty of try assists & line break assists (or at least secondary ones). I can understand people wanting to give him a rest given his last couple of games but maybe carrying Egan on the bench instead of May might be the way to go. Can add some real zip around the ruck.

tripster

Juniors
I hate these long term deals then trying to force someone out halfway through the deal, really think that stuff is going to come back and bite us on the arse.

I agree. Surely it also becomes a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. As soon as you tell a player that you wouldn’t mind if he looked elsewhere (even if you try to soften it by saying that you are happy to keep him if he can’t find anywhere else), surely that player’s confidence would be shot. It is basically saying that you aren’t really wanted anymore. It would be really hard to commit to the team and put in your best if you also knew that your team didn’t really want you.

Particularly with two years yet to run on the deal. In Merrin’s case, I also can’t see another team picking him up for what he is being paid by us - which means we’d be left paying some of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts