What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

tripster

Juniors
I mentioned in another thread that I think this might be happening due to the physical nature of our forwards.

Our pack is mostly tall and rangy. We don’t have any Shannon Boyd, Burgess, Fifita style forwards.

Those bigger forwards come out of the blocks fast and are hard for our pack to contain early in games but tire as things wear on.

Our pack on the other hand don’t tire as much and therefore come into their own later in games, and we stage late come backs.

The only circumstances where it hasn’t played out in this way is where we have dominated possession for large parts of the game (through earning repeat sets by scoring early points or line drop outs, or opposition mistakes).

TheFrog

Coach
The only time we have relinquished a lead in the second half all season was the Manly game at Penrith, and that was immediately after half time.

Conversely, we have taken the lead in the second half after the opposition had led previously 7 times. The 6 above, and the Bulldogs game at Penrith when they led 12-8 at half time, we gained the lead, they drew level, and we finally pulled away.

There were also comebacks in losing efforts against the Bulldogs (r3), Sharks (r7), Cowboys (r9) and Broncos (r19). The best we could manage against the Roosters in r15 was to slow them down a bit. The Phillips bombed try might have been the spark.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
The only time we have relinquished a lead in the second half all season was the Manly game at Penrith, and that was immediately after half time.

Conversely, we have taken the lead in the second half after the opposition had led previously 7 times. The 6 above, and the Bulldogs game at Penrith when they led 12-8 at half time, we gained the lead, they drew level, and we finally pulled away.

There were also comebacks in losing efforts against the Bulldogs (r3), Sharks (r7), Cowboys (r9) and Broncos (r19). The best we could manage against the Roosters in r15 was to slow them down a bit. The Phillips bombed try might have been the spark.

Mmmmm stats.

On the bold I think you're right. Gus has said before on 100% footy that a comeback starts with that first try. It just gets things going and builds belief. I can't remember the words he used.

http://westernweekender.com.au/2018/08/masked-panther-barrett-comeback-not-on/

Mention of Maloney playing over in Europe for 2020. This would be ideal I think.

Someone with a brain at the club should realise that he is a valuable player when he hasn't got 47 injuries. Manage him properly next year (e.g. make him retire from rep footy) and he will be huge for us.

I like that. Retire from rep footy give it all you got, then leave a year early so we can hopefully keep Luai.

OldPanther

Coach
'Tis but a flesh wound.

Vision of Maloney talking to Gus.

giphy.gif

Panfa

Juniors
Hope the raiders belt the roosters on sunday we need a big win against the knights to help our for and against as well