What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL strategic plan 2018-2022 as it relates to expansion

Perth Red

Post Whore
If it's not exposed ,you can't whinge about it.Smart policy in my book.

Yes we wouldn't want them to be able to be held accountable would we?
I see other sports dont keep their stakeholders in the dark. This is a return to the dark days of Gallop when we didn't get to see annual reports or strategic plans.

http://aflvic.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/AM4695-12pp-AFL-Vic-Strategic-Plan_Web_FA2.pdf
https://www.a-league.com.au/news/ffa-release-strategic-plan-2016-19
http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/04/11/09/30/new-five-year-strategy-for-australian-rugby

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Toddles on The Fan last night spinning the same line "no plans for expansion, need to focus on 16 existing clubs". Dont hold your breath pro expansionists!

taipan

Referee
Yes we wouldn't want them to be able to be held accountable would we?
I see other sports dont keep their stakeholders in the dark. This is a return to the dark days of Gallop when we didn't get to see annual reports or strategic plans.

http://aflvic.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/AM4695-12pp-AFL-Vic-Strategic-Plan_Web_FA2.pdf
https://www.a-league.com.au/news/ffa-release-strategic-plan-2016-19
http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/04/11/09/30/new-five-year-strategy-for-australian-rugby

I guess other sports don't have perpetuals,who can only see the trees and never the woods

Surprise !!! AFL at the top of your list.keep up the promotional work PR,Gil will send you a cheque or an invite to one of his Chinese game's marquees.

They can put up strategic plans fine.We all have dreams and plans.
Yet they have little difficulty ignoring all the negatives they are experiencing.

Aleague and Union falling crowds dramatically.A league huge drop in TV ratings. Bledisloe cup not a sellout, tickets being sold by the Tele for $30.Force flicked an expansion team.A league relying on the largesse of private investors.Rebels had to be sold off.

AFL TV ratings in the Northern states stagnant.Huge sums outlaid for GWS,Suns latter losing money as well as former .NRL Fox ratings more than holding their own against AFL,in many cases dominating.
Lions losing money year after year .You know an expansion team. Interest for them dropping.
AFL left NZ with tail between their legs after the Wellington debacle, which was to involve expansion.a long term plan.

Strategic plans are all good, if they come to actuality or at least show signs it is working.The only expansion in non heartland I consider a success ,is the Swans.They were given a leg up ,by divisions within rugby league,the deep pockets of some private backers, and a purpose built stadium and finally a takeover by the AFL

The code is expected to make $45m plus this year.If you have real money behind you ,strategic plans have a better chance of success,provided not rushed.

IOW action speaks louder than plans.IOW getting new stadiums up in Sydney,having a lobbying facility, securing funding for Centres of Excellence,promotinfg SOO to Perth/Adelaide and Melbourne.
The Storm would have struggled without the News money injection, the new stadium and constant success and now private ownership.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Any genuinely good reason you can think of why they wouldnt have released the strat plan by now taipan?

Any good reason the nrl hasn’t shared how they intend to use thensecond tier comps for expansion, the where’s and who?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Any genuinely good reason you can think of why they wouldnt have released the strat plan by now taipan?

Any good reason the nrl hasn’t shared how they intend to use thensecond tier comps for expansion, the where’s and who?

It's not necessarily a good reason, but it's probably cause they don't want to be held accountable if they don't meet their targets...

Reactions: Vee

taipan

Referee

OK PR
Stability of current clubs for one.Check what is /has gone on with clubs like the Eels/Dogs/Manly/Titans.Planning ahead is fine but announcing your plan on doing such and such, when you are being hobbled by bad club management,can come back to bite you.As I have shown earlier.

Although it appears to be wonderful in your eyes, other codes make S/P announcements and the disasters or financial setbacks that have resulted in some instances ,are apparently palatable in your eyes.One only has to look at the Force and their abandonment to get the message.

You are better placed to make long term decisions when you have the financial clout backing you.There is no way the AFL would have expanded onto the GC/GWS if they were not prepared to spend and indeed cost the code huge sums, with no guarantees BTW.The ARU could not continue to finance the Force.Ironic you ignore such major issues.

Grassroots have been neglected in the eastern states, and now the NRL wants the NSWRL and the country RL to combine under the one roof, for obvious benefits, such as exhibited by the QRL
A S/P when ATM numbers for grassroots14up and above is a problem,is not going to assist in filling new clubs .
There are many areas of the game as of now,that currently need addressing .

No need to ask for your reasoning.It's about your selfish approach,stuff the Sydney clubs ,let them die..
Must have a publicly announced S/P, which is humiliating if you aren't strong enough to fulfil the plan or go close to doing so.How much is Perth going to contribute/ how much is the NRL expected to put in to set the club up and provide continual grants?

Look at the flack the ARU has copped with their expansionary foresight.The A League certainly has the juniors, but their clubs are costing the owners a fortune,.and their TV ratings are not going to encourage a bigger TV deal down the line.Oh but we have a publicly announced S/P,that'll solve it.
AFL has shown they have money to burn.The media rarely bags them for doing so.

And I'll throw in another factor.What sort of monies can the NRL expect in their 2023 TV deal, with drops in ratings,TV stations tightening their belts.The days of continual increases are just not going to happen.

I would much rather see the NRL/Commission do things ,rather than promise and predict.eg Announce expansion,as a reality .

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
lol, here’s what they have released since I last looked. Nicely written to have no target measurables. “Increase” is a great way to say we’ll sure it was on,y 0.5% but it’s an increase. No financial target and some of the stuff is already in place lol. I suppose you can say you have acheived your future plan when some of it is already done.

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operations/nrl-strategic-plan-2018-2022.pdf

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
lol, here’s what they have released since I last looked. Nicely written to have no target measurables. “Increase” is a great way to say we’ll sure it was on,y 0.5% but it’s an increase. No financial target and some of the stuff is already in place lol. I suppose you can say you have acheived your future plan when some of it is already done.

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operations/nrl-strategic-plan-2018-2022.pdf

So you ignore the bulk of what I have spelt out.None should be surprised LOL.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Can anybody tell me if I’m right in thinking that the NRL offered millions of $$$ to any current NRL team that re-located to another city/region in Australia? And if true is the offer still on the table?

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Toddles on The Fan last night spinning the same line "no plans for expansion, need to focus on 16 existing clubs". Dont hold your breath pro expansionists!
That’s a bit like Israel saying they’ll be no peace talks with the Palestinians as long as they continue to fight against our blockades and occupation. In other words an excuse to continue the status quo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can anybody tell me if I’m right in thinking that the NRL offered millions of $$$ to any current NRL team that re-located to another city/region in Australia? And if true is the offer still on the table?

Yes they did, $7mill, and no not for a few years now. They have said no more bail outs, I guess if one of them goes tis up and the sinking fund isn’t enough to save them the nrl could in theory take the license off them and offer it elsewhere or entice them to relocate. Unlikely to happen though with the $13mill grant they now get.

taipan

Referee
Because it was irrelevant to the nrl not sharing with stakeholders actual measurable targets.

Ignoring disasters with codes who boast about their S/Ps and end up non performing ,is relevant to the NRL.
Expansion is part fo very code's DNA.
When expansion stated in publicised S/Ps has huge problems and huge financial consequences,the NRL I suggest doesn't want to follow along the same track.

taipan

Referee
Yes they did, $7mill, and no not for a few years now. They have said no more bail outs, I guess if one of them goes tis up and the sinking fund isn’t enough to save them the nrl could in theory take the license off them and offer it elsewhere or entice them to relocate. Unlikely to happen though with the $13mill grant they now get.
That's when there was money to do so.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ignoring disasters with codes who boast about their S/Ps and end up non performing ,is relevant to the NRL.
Expansion is part fo very code's DNA.
When expansion stated in publicised S/Ps has huge problems and huge financial consequences,the NRL I suggest doesn't want to follow along the same track.

Non of which has anything to do with the nrl not setting any measurable targets in its public released 1/2 aresed strat plan for the next 5 years. Did you see the section in the photocopied scan (you’d think with a digital Dept they cou,d come up with an online version lol) of the plan on expansion? It committed to nothing and explained nothing about their strategy on expansion.

Latest posts