What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Bulldogs

Meth

Staff member
Well no. I meant 'pulling off' as Kearney taking more precautionary measures. If we we're up 30 nil, he can afford to rest RTS, Ken or Fus and play Hiku instead of risking injury to our top outside backs. Regardless if they're playing well or not, they still get pulled off and preserved for the REAL games, the finals. Hiku should be able to close out games as long as he's an outside back cover and ONLY an outside back cover. Yes we have lost games when we're 30 points up (e.g. Penrith last year) but I'm just further rationalizing as to having Hiku 'take up' the bench. If Kearney is actually doing this, then I can understand it.

I understood what you meant

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The premise that it'd be dangerous if Mannering or Harris defended at centre is rubbish. Yes, both those guys are slower than Hiku, but Hiku is the worst one-on-one defensive centre in the comp. Has been for years. Both Simon and Harris would offer more, obviously not on attack but on the rare occasion an outside back goes off (how many times this year, almost never?). It's a wasted bench spot, I don't see how that can be tolerated with less interchanges requiring guys to play a few more minutes than they used to.

As someone said, I'd much rather have a blockbusting prop who can offer 10-15 mins of ball-tearing runs to offer a bit of a lift. Although maybe we don't have that guy on our roster.

JJ

Immortal
The premise that it'd be dangerous if Mannering or Harris defended at centre is rubbish. Yes, both those guys are slower than Hiku, but Hiku is the worst one-on-one defensive centre in the comp. Has been for years. Both Simon and Harris would offer more, obviously not on attack but on the rare occasion an outside back goes off (how many times this year, almost never?). It's a wasted bench spot, I don't see how that can be tolerated with less interchanges requiring guys to play a few more minutes than they used to.
I'm not even sold on the view they're much slower than Hiku

sup42

Juniors
Lawton played Center for us when Kata (i think it was) went down.

Defended perfectly...he has played there before in his career.

That would kill a lot of birds with one stone.

Has played Second Row Check.

Covers Hooker Check.

Good Defender Check.

Has speed Check.

Good passer of the ball Check.

Can score Trys Check.

Provides impact Check.

Last edited:

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I reckon Hollands a hole in their defence. In saying that he'd probably have a good defensive game now but I've been watching him for awhile now and he can have some real crap games at times.

sup42

Juniors
I reckon Hollands a hole in their defence. In saying that he'd probably have a good defensive game now but I've been watching him for awhile now and he can have some real crap games at times.
Holland is getting mocked over at the Kennel Forum for the very same.

This thread turned into a pretty good discussion all in all.

When Kearney says that Hiku creates competition for spots I believe him (I believe he is being earnest....rather than the argument for his inclusion).

Purely based off the way they name their extended bench...players 18 - 21.

Any player performing well in the ISP not named Ligi Sao...who is also one of our thirty contracted players, gets named each week.

The other exception being Mason Lino who will always get named as half cover no matter how well he is playing, that only makes sense ( See his 2018 Debut against the Roosters after the worst performance of his career in ISP he has his best ever game for the Warriors number one side).

Gelling is a classic example, after beastly games in the ISP he always gets recognition on team naming Tuesday.

Anyone who knows Kearney knows that the biggest bone of contention is his consistency of selection irregardless of results.

On that score I am pleased they have blooded new people like Satae and especially Vuna....Vuna represents SK going outside the predictable, his first game was Anzac Day versus the Storm for crying out loud.

JJ

Immortal
So in all seriousness what has Sao done to be so much on the outer? Any insights?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Holland is getting mocked over at the Kennel Forum for the very same.

This thread turned into a pretty good discussion all in all.

When Kearney says that Hiku creates competition for spots I believe him (I believe he is being earnest....rather than the argument for his inclusion).

Purely based off the way they name their extended bench...players 18 - 21.

Any player performing well in the ISP not named Ligi Sao...who is also one of our thirty contracted players, gets named each week.

The other exception being Mason Lino who will always get named as half cover no matter how well he is playing, that only makes sense ( See his 2018 Debut against the Roosters after the worst performance of his career in ISP he has his best ever game for the Warriors number one side).

Gelling is a classic example, after beastly games in the ISP he always gets recognition on team naming Tuesday.

Anyone who knows Kearney knows that the biggest bone of contention is his consistency of selection irregardless of results.

On that score I am pleased they have blooded new people like Satae and especially Vuna....Vuna represents SK going outside the predictable, his first game was Anzac Day versus the Storm for crying out loud.

I have been a fan of Kearney's selection policies, by and large. I think a lot of us wanted Hiku to go weeks earlier but a combination of injuries and faith meant it didn't happen. I guess we forget axings are a lot easier for us to make on a forum, whereas the coaches have to front these guys day in, day out and deal with the politics of their decisions. They can't be chopping and changing like we'd have it. And most of us would've chopped Ken for him never to be seen again last year, right?

Guess the only one that is perplexing is Sao. Surely he'd be a better option than Vuna? We are only guessing that he's pissed SK off somehow, right?

Otherwise, we have competition for spots that is very healthy. Last time that was the case was 2011, unsurprisingly.

sup42

Juniors
I've never heard of the Kennel Forum. LU is my only forum.

I'm not surprised others see his flaws.
Yeah well spotted.

The kennel gets pretty feral. They are not very confident this week...having said that, it's amazing how many disenchanted fans you read in the top sides Forums....people are hard to please.

sup42

Juniors
I have been a fan of Kearney's selection policies, by and large. I think a lot of us wanted Hiku to go weeks earlier but a combination of injuries and faith meant it didn't happen. I guess we forget axings are a lot easier for us to make on a forum, whereas the coaches have to front these guys day in, day out and deal with the politics of their decisions. They can't be chopping and changing like we'd have it. And most of us would've chopped Ken for him never to be seen again last year, right?

Guess the only one that is perplexing is Sao. Surely he'd be a better option than Vuna? We are only guessing that he's pissed SK off somehow, right?

Otherwise, we have competition for spots that is very healthy. Last time that was the case was 2011, unsurprisingly
Good post.

and what did we learn from 2011 ?

Don''t quibble over an extra year on your coaches contract, only to see them walk out the door, in favor of a popularitst Local Coach.

Then proclaim a couple of years later that you are building Australasias greatest sporting Franchise.

Did we learn ?

No. We let the Bellamy deal fall over quibbling about Craig refusing to break his word to Melbourne and finish the last year of his contract.

Now we have the dream scenario, a foundation Warrior leading the club with extensive Melbourne and Brisbane experience.

Players want to play for the man, we are signing ex Kiwis on the cheap...no more overs....including Blake Green an Aussie import.

The test will be next year if we have an unfortunate season.

The test will be whether the Warriors have learned anything about keeping with a Coach when they show themselves to be useful with their preferred line up playing....ignoring seasons where things conspire against the Coach.....evaluating the clubs progress as a whole...after all the Warriors are a special case...League is a very poor cousin here.

Meth

Staff member
Lawton played Center for us when Kata (i think it was) went down.

Defended perfectly...he has played there before in his career.

That would kill a lot of birds with one stone.

Has played Second Row Check.

Covers Hooker Check.

Good Defender Check.

Has speed Check.

Good passer of the ball Check.

Can score Trys Check.

Provides impact Check.

Yeah, he's vying for Tevaga's spot though.

If we're not going to have Hiku, but are going to have Tevaga, I'm not sure Lawton is the pick.

Also, he's gone ok at points (like when he filled in at centre), but has looked poor at point too.

JJ

Immortal
Cleary was also often criticised for being conservative with selections and not wielding the axe too.
Yep - but when you're performing well (as the team has this year) it's minor haggling... but I thought the conservative/consistent selections last year with appalling performance after appalling performance was mind-boggling

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Good post.

and what did we learn from 2011 ?

Don''t quibble over an extra year on your coaches contract, only to see them walk out the door, in favor of a popularitst Local Coach.

Then proclaim a couple of years later that you are building Australasias greatest sporting Franchise.

Did we learn ?

No. We let the Bellamy deal fall over quibbling about Craig refusing to break his word to Melbourne and finish the last year of his contract.

Now we have the dream scenario, a foundation Warrior leading the club with extensive Melbourne and Brisbane experience.

Players want to play for the man, we are signing ex Kiwis on the cheap...no more overs....including Blake Green an Aussie import.

The test will be next year if we have an unfortunate season.

The test will be whether the Warriors have learned anything about keeping with a Coach when they show themselves to be useful with their preferred line up playing....ignoring seasons where things conspire against the Coach.....evaluating the clubs progress as a whole...after all the Warriors are a special case...League is a very poor cousin here.

I feel like that Bellamy thing is something that's slipped the attention of the public...which is crazy given the magnitude of it. That's 100% what happened? Because for someone like me, who used to work very closely with the side in the media, was a season ticket holder when I wasn't, posts on LU, follows the side through every avenue I can...I've never really come across that other than I think you've mentioned it before.

SK can expect to coach for a fair while here given what he's been able to achieve this year. Although the question is, how long can he be expected to live away from his family? Guess that's something that will become a consideration at some stage.

JJ

Immortal
I feel like that Bellamy thing is something that's slipped the attention of the public...which is crazy given the magnitude of it. That's 100% what happened? Because for someone like me, who used to work very closely with the side in the media, was a season ticket holder when I wasn't, posts on LU, follows the side through every avenue I can...I've never really come across that other than I think you've mentioned it before.

SK can expect to coach for a fair while here given what he's been able to achieve this year. Although the question is, how long can he be expected to live away from his family? Guess that's something that will become a consideration at some stage.

Given he's coached there before, and the family - I was wondering whether he'd have any interest in teh Broncos gig, and whether they'd be interested in him - I suspect the latter is no, but if it's for 2020 and he backs up this year's effort that might change.

Meth

Staff member
Guys, Bellamy really, really, really wanted to come here by then Matt Elliot dazzled us with a superb and superior vision for the club.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yep - but when you're performing well (as the team has this year) it's minor haggling... but I thought the conservative/consistent selections last year with appalling performance after appalling performance was mind-boggling

At the time I think we all did. In hindsight it probably made more sense in terms of Kearney working to a long term plan. I believe at one point he said it would take three years to properly achieve results, if the next few weeks go to plan and we put in a respectable finals performance, I’d say he’s on track.