What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wooden Spoon

First Grade
It's finally sealed we can't get the spoon this year I don't care if we lose the next 2 now as long as we didn't end up with the spoon again

Zoidberg

First Grade
Yay I guess.
It is good obviously but if we got the wooden spoon this year, after the signings we have brought in, I would deadset give up.

mozza91

Coach
Glad that’s it official. We don’t deserve it and as mentioned if injuries were kinder we’d be still be in the Finals race.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Ok, I wouldn’t give up, I never would, but I would feel like giving up. It is very difficult on the heart to watch what our team has gone through the last few years. There needs to be light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited:

Old dog

Juniors
Ok, I wouldn’t give up, I never would, but I would feel like giving up. It is very difficult on the heart to watch what our team has gone through the last few years. There needs to be light at the end of the tunnel.
Yesterday they turned the light on but it's a long tunnel

Nuke

Staff member
At least it's not a train coming...

Who's everyone's preference for the wooden spoon then (of those who are capable of getting it ... salary cap rorting penalties taken out the equation). Of the five teams mathematically in contention for it (Gold Coast, Canterbury, Manly, Parramatta, Nth Qld), who do you want to see win it?

Personally, while I dislike clubs like Canterbury and Manly much more, I would like to see Nth Qld get the spoon ... even though the drop from Grand Finalist one year to wooden spoon the next is a rather sad one. (I wish something like that would happen to Melbourne or the Roosters or Brisbane!!)

Nuke

Staff member
Again, I don't dislike the Cowboys or Thurston, but all this talk about him being better than Johns, I'd like to see him finish at the bottom. For mine, and I'm sure others particularly here in the Newcastle sub-forum, Johns was a better player, and everything Thurston does now is what Johns was doing 15-20 years ago and really no-one before him (as the complete package that he was). Any team Johns was in was better for him being there. He raised up the average player into being much better players than they necessarily were without him. Thurston finishing last shows he can't do what Johns could.

I know Newcastle finished last in 2005, but Joey was out injured for most of that season and as soon as he returned, the Knights went on a winning run ... albeit it was too late.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I’d rather not see the Eels come last, they’re one of the few clubs over the last decade or so who have been almost as
bad as us and they haven’t won a premiership since the 80’s so I do feel a bit sorry for their fans.

Titans are sort of in the same boat, they’ve been shit for a long time, in fact apart from a couple of good seasons about 7-8 years ago they have been totally shit for the whole time the club has existed so I feel for their fans as well. Based on how they’ve played at times this year I don’t think they deserve to get the spoon either.

So this basically leaves Canterbury, Manly and NQ, all three of which I wouldn’t mind seeing them get the spoon.

The Bulldogs have been a powerhouse for so long and everyone has always carried on about how great they are with business but really they sold their soul to the devil by bringing in Des Hasler and now they’re paying the price much like we did with Bennett. Their fans carry on if they have one bad season (while we’ve had to endure a decade of mediocrity) so I wouldn’t be upset seeing them have a few bad years.

Manly - enough said, it’s Manly.

NQ - I actually like most of the Cowboys team and I was hoping they would win it last year because I don’t like Melbourne but now that JT has had his fairytale premiership in 2015 everyone’s acting like he’s a god and as if his god given right to go out a winner. Let’s face it the guy is a total grub on the field and while I’m sure he’s a nice bloke off the field he’s caused heartbreak for NSW fans and Knights fans alike over the last 15 years or so. Also there’s no way he’s better than Joey, even if his passing, kicking, running and goal kicking are on parr Joey could still fold forwards in half with his defence while JT has been getting run over most of his career. Not to mention the only time these two faced off in an Origin series Joey dominated JT.

So based on all of the above here’s my order in who I would like to see get the spoon.

1. JT (oops I mean NQ)
2. Manly
3. Bulldogs
4. Titans
5. Parra

Yosh

Coach
I echo the opinions above. As much as I love seeing Manly fail, I wanna see JT win the wooden spoon in his final season.

Joey was by far the superior player. JT was born into the greatest QLD Era ever. If Joey was a couple of years younger and healthy, there is no way QLD would have dominated as they did. If JT was a NSWelshmen, there would never be talk about him being a great. He got lucky with Smith, Slater, Cronk, Inglis being his teammates.

Knight Vision

First Grade
North QLD with the spoon please.

JT v Joey ?

your life depends on getting the win, there's 1 minute left on the clock and you're behind on the score board. Who do you want playing for your life ? A man who changed the way his position was played, invented kicks never thought possible, who led his team to 2 Premierships and represented his country at an age when the other was in reserve grade and played like an extra forward in defense or an over rated media hyped imitation who is a turn style in defense, who looked good in a team of champions and played mostly in an era with a dearth of quality halves?

Talk of Thurston being an immortal is an insult to the concept. Within their respective era's Sterling, Stuart , Langer, Daley, Fitler were equal to or better than Thurston.

Thurston can polish Joey's boots.

Old dog

Juniors
Don't understand the hate JT other than knocking him to maintain Joey as number 1, Joey is definately No1 so we don't need to knock someone down to build someone up.
As for which team for wooden spoon my pick would be Dogs if only for the way they stuffed up coach, signings and took that "we have done nothing wrong" attitude but realistically think it will be Cowboys.

Kray-Z

Juniors
We try hard this year, we don’t deserv 4 in a row, the firs club ever in yhepremiership, with Pearce play all game we probly come in 8.

Last edited:

Knight76

Juniors
Parra for the spoon now, can't avoid it anymore.

Shame they came up against JT's last home game and an immense leg up from the refs.

Would have liked Manly to get it, they deserve it more.

Latest posts