What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 (2005) Panthers Vs Lions

roosterboy60

Juniors
Penrith Panthers v Sydney Lions

Game Thread
Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
Any other posts will result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
Only original essays, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Home team captain will be allowed 3 reserves, visiting captain will be allowed 2 reserves
Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.asp

Full Time: Wednesday 11th May at 9pm (Syd time)

Venue: Penrith Football Stadium
ground_penrith_1.jpg

Crowd: 14,190
REFEREE: Antonius

**Referee Blows Game On!**

choc_soldier

Coach
Lions team...

parra_panther (c)
Everlovin' Antichrist
Dilmah
jed
Lisa13

Reserves
Mr Rock!!!
Ian Ritchie

Big Mick

Referee
Panthers team to take on the Lions.

1. Big Mick c
2. Maelgwnau
3. Paul-The-Cowboy
4. Azkatro
5. BrentWebbs#1Fan

6. [Furrycat]
7. Somethingwithjohn
8. GoTheBears

choc_soldier

Coach
parra_panther, leading the charge for the Lions...

THERE’S SOMETHING ABOUT PARRAMATTA

I call Parramatta home. I have called this area home all my life. However, when that word is mentioned, it arouses a number of emotions.

Pride is one word. I love the place, and there’s a lot to like about living in Parramatta.

And then there is the Eels. It arouses quite a few more – they are all put in a blender. It is mixed.

My relationship history with the Eels is a chequered one. They are a team that I have a dislike for, one that occasionally borders on hatred.

However, go to my house, and proudly hanging up in the family room is a photo of myself when I was about 5, wearing a Parramatta jumper.

It is a shameful past that I am reminded of everyday. I just simply put it down to a mother who is a Parramatta supporter, and at that age, I didn’t know any better. Some people in my family would say that I still don’t. They’re usually the ones looking through blue and gold eyes, and still wonder where they went wrong with me. It’s all just friendly banter though.

When I decided to become a Panthers supporter in 1994, it was a time when admitting that you were a Parramatta fan was the biggest faux pas you could admit – even more so than still wearing happy pants. Even though the Eels couldn’t even beat teams that were the equivalent of a wet paper bag, like the Gold Coast Seagulls, some people were still passionate about their team. They wore it as a badge of honour. And you had to at least concede to the fact that they had passion.

For quite a while, I lived a happy co-existence with Parramatta, neither loving them or hating them.

Then when they became the one of the major beneficiaries of “the war”, the cashed-up Eels spent big. I started to detest them, because I thought they were trying to buy themselves a premiership. Looking at the Panthers, who were blessed with mediocrity, jealousy may have crept in.

While Penrith continued to miss out on the finals, Parramatta were making them. But every year, I always got the final laugh, as the Eels would fall at the final hurdle every time, falling one game short of the grand final. Every year, they would find a new way to shoot themselves in the foot. And I for one loved it. It bordered on sadistic.

A hatred was developing. If I thought that losing to the Eels in the 2000 finals series was bad enough, it was to get worse.

Living in Parramatta in 2001 was like hell on Earth. It was the only time I have hated living there. Having “Parramattitude” shoved down my throat was a bitter pill to swallow. Blue and gold were not calm and relaxing colours. My heart towards them was as black as the Panthers jersey. Also, the Eels were the competition benchmark, whilst the Panthers had their claws wrapped around the anchor at the bottom. It really was the tale of two cities that year. Going to both “western derby” games and seeing them get thrashed made me thank God that footy stadiums are licenced venues.

However, seeing Parramatta lose to Newcastle in the grand final was about the highlight of my year. It was that good, absolute ecstasy. I sang as loud as my Knights supporting mates that night at our grand final party.

Two years later, seeing the Panthers claim the minor premiership and in the same foul swoop knock the Eels out of the finals race wiped a lot of the bad memories of a few years before. It was at the time the best footy moment I had experienced – but I was still humble enough to go up to a lot of Eels supporters, shake their hand and say bad luck and better luck next year.

That day was a turning point for me. I have since then have mellowed out a bit. I still dislike the Eels, but I don’t hate them - well, not that much. And I only do when the Panthers play them. I get fired up for those games, they’re the ones I look forward to the most.

Besides, I have found ways to channel my hate into other avenues – like manufactured pop music and the Roosters.

So it’s not all that bad!

-----------------------------------------------
Word count: 736 words

Big Mick

Referee
POSTING ON BEHALF OF PAUL-THE-COWBOY. Due to being in England I doubt he'll see he'd need to repost in time for Fulltime.

Paul-The-Cowboy
Penrith Panthers #3
713 words (inc title)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
An ode to St.Helens
With the news of the suspension of Ian Millward, on swearing related charges, it is that time of the year for Saints fans to sit back and reflect on the soap opera setting that is Knowsley Road.

It follows a weekend of protests staged after the Challenge Cup fixture against York, chants of sacking the board who saved our very club, and even a small group of Saints fans travelling to Salford for the televised cup game to show their support for the guest analyst, Millward.

And it follows a week where just days after Sculthorpe told the press he was confident that this season would not be derailed by scandal like previous ones, head coach Ian Millward was mysteriously suspended.

A lot has happened during the summer era of rugby league at St.Helens. Silverware, protests after the suspension of Ellery Hanley, the controversial axing of Hanley, salary cap breaches, weakened line-ups, betting scandals, voluntary tackles, more silverware, last gap victories, boardroom changes, constant speculation on a new stadium, and too many entertaining moments on the field to mention.

Here is an ode to St.Helens in the summer era:

On the first day of Summer,
St.Helens gave to me,
a swearing, cursing Aussie.

url]

On the second day of Summer,
St.Helens gave to me,
2 betting scandals,
And a swearing, cursing Aussie.
url]

On the third day of Summer,
St.Helens gave to me,
3 derailed seasons,
2 betting players
url]

On the fourth day of Summer,
St.Helens gave to me,
4 league titles,
3 derailed seasons, 2 betting players,
url]

On the fifth day of Summer,
St.Helens gave to me,
5 cup finals,
4 league titles, 3 derailed seasons, 2 betting players,
url]

On the sixth day of Summer,
St.Helens gave to me,
6 hour protests,
5 cup finals, 4 league titles, 3 derailed seasons, 2 betting players,
url]

On the seventh day of Summer,
St.Helens gave to me,
7 foreign stars,
6 hour protests, 5 cup finals, 4 league titles, 3 derailed seasons, 2 betting players,
url]

On the eighth day of Summer,
St.Helens brought to Odsal,
8 teenage reserves,
7 foreign stars,
6 hour protests, 5 cup finals, 4 league titles, 3 derailed seasons, 2 betting players,
url]

On the ninth day of Summer,
St.Helens gave to me,
9 GB call-ups,
8 teenage reserves, 7 foreign stars, 6 hour protests, 5 cup finals, 4 league titles, 3 derailed seasons, 2 betting players,
_41099263_sculthorpe203.jpg

On the tenth day of Summer,
St.Helens gave to me,
10 straight Wigan losses,
9 GB call-ups,
8 teenage reserves, 7 foreign stars, 6 hour protests, 5 cup finals, 4 league titles, 3 derailed seasons, 2 betting players,
url]

On the eleventh day of Summer,
St.Helens gave to me,
11 ground move proposals,
10 straight Wigan losses, 9 GB call-ups, 8 teenage reserves, 7 foreign stars, 6 hour protests, 5 cup finals, 4 league titles, 3 derailed seasons, 2 betting players,
url]

Just as I've been writing this, news has broke that Millward, our swearing, cursing Aussie has been sacked. Just another colourful chapter to add to our Super League history.

More protests and mass demonstrations will follow on from the sit-in that rumbled on at Knowsley Road till past midnight on Friday. Fans will argue about the decision to let go of one of our most successful and longest serving coaches. But the hype will die down one day. In a year or so this will be a mere bitter memory of how we pressed the self destruct button on another extremely promising start to the season. Yet again. Then the next day, we will probably awake to yet another sensation that will dominate the headlines and the column inches in the rugby league media. Yet again.

But we wouldn't have it any other way, would we? There are many things we can accuse our beloved club of. But keeping us and the world of rugby league bored is certianly not one of them!

And on the twelth day of Summer,
St.Helens took from me,
That swearing, cursing Aussie.
url]-

P.S. ANTONIUS. THE IMAGES IN THIS POST HAVE SOMEHOW NOT APPEARED BECAUSE THERE ARE TOO MANY. ON THE OTHER SITE THEY SHOWED UP. PAUL HAS INFORMED ME THE IMAGES ARE A VITAL PART OF HIS POST. PLEASE VIEW THEM. THANK YOU.

Big Mick

Referee
Big Mick takes the second hit up for Panthers with Azkatro in support!

Make sure you get your vaccinations!

As Australian’s we are in dire straits. A new and evolved species of disease has managed to consume our nation. The past century has brought some horrific diseases to our doorstep including such terrible epidemic's as the Bubonic Plague, Small Pox and more recently, Chicken Flu. However in these new times of medical wonders, one plague has managed to slip through the radar to affect millions of Australians, the Internet Plague.

The internet infection was only discovered a matter of months ago, however, it has been spreading in great magnitude for nearly a decade. Rugby League personalities have accused the internet to be influencing minds and the way we comprehend information. I’m sorry, but don’t the media do the same thing. Their fictitious and outlandish claims that they put to print every weekend from so called “experts” about what is happening in the world of rugby league, aren’t they influencing our minds. If so can’t we, as free citizens of this nation expect to have our opinions voiced?

The media has so much influence on today’s society that we just can’t escape from it. The stories that they present and publish have become our reality. In the car on the way to work we hear in every news bulletin how a rugby league player was found drunk and disorderly outside a Eastern Suburbs hotel, or the 6 o’clock news suggesting that a team of players were involved in unsavoury conduct.

Are our mindsets so warped that we accept this tripe as reality? As sophisticated members of society, we have the ability to formulate our own opinions. Real passionate football fans see the internet as a medium for thought provoking discussions about the good things of rugby league, not just those that bring the game down.

Those club officials who suggest that the internet is a plague on the football world neglect to see how much the internet has actually helped develop the game. Without the worldwide spread of the internet, we wouldn’t be having the success we are in the US with regard to their National league teams. Without the access to “Rival” internet forums we would not be able to see the progress being made with such small, developing league nations such as the Malta Knights. The internet has allowed for the rugby league world to take notice of these developing nations and also to branch out and expand the game to regions many never thought would reach.

Maybe its ignorance on the part of the clubs officials and media outlets who suggest the internet is a plague on society. They obviously only see the internet through one biased viewpoint, as a place of gossip and rumour, not as what it is meant to be, a tool for growth.

We see many journalist’s these days publishing their “opinions” on certain players and clubs with regard to their conduct. Much of this “opinion” is not based on the facts. However, the intent of such articles is not to inform, but to provoke hatred amongst citizens of the public who actually believe it. A matter of weeks ago, an “expert” wrote how many women walked away after the Bulldogs grand final victory, neglecting to suggest that the majority would have been Roosters supporters mellowing in yet another premiership defeat.

What these media outlets neglect to publish are the good things that happen in rugby league. Last season we saw outrage at the fact Bulldog supporters were practically rioting at the football. Since then the Bulldogs have put in place many measures to tone down the violence and in turn have ejected most, if not all of the trouble-makers from the games, yet they receive no positive media attention. Many clubs run charity events for sick children or visit children in schools, for example the Panthers on the Prowl program, headed by Panthers player Shannon Donato and assistant coach Peter Mulhulland. These organisations receive no media attention; although they aren’t controversial enough are they?

The vaccination to those who believe the internet is a plague, is to shut down. Without the internet, rugby league would not be where it is today. We have developing nations learning about the game and millions of supporters voicing their vital opinions. Without the internet, we would not be able to hear about the good things rugby league does for the community, because in the media reality, rugby league is apparently evil. Luckily for us, through the internet, we know better.

750 Words

Azkatro

First Grade
Azkatro accepts a magic offload from Big Mick and scores the easiest of tries for the Panthers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Smith shoots down Cowboys
(match report in poetic form)

We set the scene in May '05
Mother's Day to be precise,
Parramatta Stadium is where we are
And the weather looks quite nice.

The competition is the NRL
and the game is rugby league,
The Eels will face the Cowboys
in a clash of high intrigue.

The blue and golds hadn't beaten this side
since June 2003,
Then-halfback Witt's missed conversion kick
was given by the referee.

But now we put the past aside
returning to the present day,
The Cowboys are top of the table
and things should go their way.

A chargedown attempt on the opening set
put the Eels on the back foot,
Carl Webb went wide, drew three and passed
while the Eels' defense went kaput.

It was Matt Sing's fiftieth try for the club
which he debuted for in 2002,
For the Cowboys fans all expecting a win
this start was too good to be true.

The conversion was great from way out wide
and Hannay made it six,
Parra fans wondered what else the Cowboys
had in their bag of tricks.

Soon it was their tricky little halfback
making line breaks here and there,
They missed two more opportunities
but Thurston was everywhere.

Eventually the Eels earned some possession
and kept within a try,
Their coach said they “dodged quite a lot of bullets”
and was probably thinking of the bye.

But as the Cowboys halfback took his shots
the Eels displayed one of their own,
And to quote Ray Warren of yesteryear
... “Blocker, hold the phone!”

Tim Smith returned fire and gunned them down
though he didn't shoot from the hip,
It was a deadly boot (minus spurs of course)
And suddenly it was eighteen-six.

The first was a piece of backwards magic
which is uncommon in the game,
A kick which suits the young bloke's home state
Banana is its name.

Try two came largely from a piece of luck
the bounce of the kick was sly,
And it was fellow Maroon aspirant Luke O'Dwyer
diving over for the second try.

The third try came from a chip to the side of the post
a forward reaped the reward,
Fuifui managed to get his hand to the ball
and his first ever try was scored.

Parramatta put another on the board
shortly before half time,
Luke Burt found space outside Matt Sing
and the Eels were looking sublime.

Parramatta has yearned for a halfback
Which they found in 2001,
But with most of his days behind him
JT was almost done.

Young Smith might have finally filled the gap left
when Sterlo decided to jet,
Even though he'd blown this game wide apart
he wasn't finished yet.

The Eels were in again just moments after the break
with Dean Widders in out wide,
With the lead quickly blowing out to twenty-two
Parra's faithful bristled with pride.

Faiumu got a second for the visitors
with a dummy near the line,
It got the Cowboys within three tries
but in the end the home side was fine.

They put on four more to appease the crowd
for whom a half century was desired,
The Cowboys missed nearly that many tackles
so some defensive work will be required.

Tim Smith was deservedly man of the match
for assisting in five of the tries,
And it's practically a four point victory for the Eels
as they enjoy the first of two byes.

The Cowboys though have plenty to do
as they prepare to defend their keep
The Broncos are invading in round number ten
a home win will not come cheap.

Despite the Eels' win the betting market holds firm
Cowboys at seven bucks and still look inspiring,
Though the Eels stay up on an inflated fifteen
they look great when their halfback is firing.

If he stays good and fit with his kicking boots on
then the Eels are a mighty good show,
And if the Cowboys lose their run at home this weekend
Parra joins them on twelve points you know.

A betting chap ought to keep that in mind
while they're still priced at fifteen,
For a team that can score fifty against the Cowboys in '05
is as dangerous as any side has been.

Eels 50 (
Widders 2, McKinnon 2, Morris, O'Dwyer, Moimoi, Burt, B. Smith tries; Burt 7/9 goals) beat Cowboys 12 (Sing, Faiumu tries; Hannay 2/2 goals)
Referee:
Paul Simpkins
Crowd:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

747 words. Liftoff!

maelgwnau

Juniors
Maelgwnau - #2 Panthers
748 Words Inc. Title

What is old should be new

Over the past decade we have seen jersey’s change from their traditional design, to ones that would cater for the “new” market. Clubs have decided that the goal to make a profit is more important than the tradition behind a history of a jersey. Each and every season clubs change their design, jersey manufacturers and even their colours to make their jerseys more fashionable.

Those days in which pulling on your clubs jersey actually meant something are long gone. In the past your jersey was your pledge of allegiance towards your team. Back in the times of rough and tough football, the players believed their jersey was a badge of honour. However, life and death football has been shoved aside.

In current context, the club is more concerned with how much revenue they will receive and whether it fits a current trend. In reality this is what the club is doing, the club likes to say that the jersey has been outdated and it is too old, however, most clubs jersey’s have a life-cycle of three years, some clubs themselves have been around nearly a century.

The corporate tyrants that practically run the clubs now would rather replace the time honoured tradition of a club and replace it for a bigger pay-packet, while the NRL stands around and lets this travesty continue.

For nearly a century this game has relied on its roots. Tradition is what got this game to its status as one of the strongest sports Australia and the world has to offer. Tradition is putting your body on the line and bleeding for your team-mates. Tradition is being loyal to one club that raised you. However, this ideal seems lost on many clubs today.

In the past five years, we have seen clubs not even going with their traditional colours. For example, the Brisbane Bronco’s a few years ago changed from their traditional maroon and gold colours to the white alternate jersey we see today. The Penrith Panthers abandoned their alternate jersey for a more fashionable teal, purple and white jersey. The St.George-Illawarra Dragons release six jerseys every season, to cater for specific events. Long gone are the traditional Red-V days or the blood and bandages of Illawarra. Is this what club history is about?

In more recent times, we’ve seen the evolution of the product, with the making of women’s jerseys. Both Penrith and Manly have made jerseys so that it would look fashionable for women, due to the regular jerseys being “too big”. While I applaud the clubs executives for making this move to attract women to our game, what is the next move? In every shop you see cheaply made and useless merchandise shuffled off the shelfs by supporters who are conned into thinking that they are supporting their team, when in fact most of the revenue for NRL affiliated products doesn’t even reach the club.

One club that I applaud for upholding the rightful colours and design for many years is the South Sydney Rabbitohs. For nearly 100 years we have associated the League’s most famous club as the “Red and Greens of South Sydney”. The club went back to it roots upon returning to the competition in 2002 and they haven’t looked back. The history of South Sydney is rich in talent, rich in heritage and rich in spirit. Please do not let the corporate giants take over from what, in my view, is the only traditional club left in the NRL today.

A jersey is a symbol of a team’s journey from the past to the present. An indication of the determination, blood, sweat and tear’s that past players went through to make the club what it is today. A club like South Sydney have realised this fact and have embraced it, earning the respect of other clubs supporters.

At the end of the day, the only people losing out from the clubs continuous changing of jerseys are the fans. Fans spend their hard earned dollars not only going to see their team play, but also wear a jersey with pride. Is it fair to loyal fans that we have to suffer by allowing clubs to change what didn’t need to be? We need to make sure our jersey is not just another shirt on the shelf. We ourselves need to embark on a journey back in time and to make sure our clubs know we want what’s old, to be new again.

Mr Rock!!!

Juniors
Mr Rock regathers for the Lions from the Kick-off ,palms off Azkatro who was too busy smiling for the camera and dives over for the reply

The best time of Year

Origin time makes me shake. I get that filled up with anticipation that by kickoff time, I can hardly hold my beer steady. Most of my mates are the same, which is one of the reasons I always watch it out in the backyard.
Ahhh..State of Origin night, one of only 5 nights of the year when police ignore noise complaints.
When there is more beer sold, than any other day of the year. Not bad for the middle of Winter.
Mates of mine that aren’t as obsessed with Origin as the majority of posters in this forum are, often ask me to explain what it is about Origin football that makes it tick.
I have always replied with, “You give me a word, any word, and I’ll describe how that word fits into Origin history.
So here we go:
Hunger- Billy Moore
Passion- There’s an old tale that Trevor Gillmeister tells regarding the 1995 camp before the 1st origin match of which he was captain. They were all sitting in the room together and a few of the old legends were telling the young blokes what it meant to them to play for Queensland. Fatty asked Choppy Close to step forward, so he did. He was about 5 words into his speech before he choked up with tears and couldn’t go on.
The axe says that a young Robbie O leaned over to him from the chair behind and said “Give me the bloody Guernsey; I’m ready to play now!”
Doubt- It was quite clear that most centre combinations that faced Mal Meninga and Gene Miles in the early 80’s had doubt running through their head, every time these blokes touched the ball
Judgment- Michael O’Connor. Whether judging the right time to step an opponent or the angle at which to place the ball for a sideline kick in the rain
Desire- At some stage of the Origin campaign every diehard fan watching the match at home desires to be out on the field, giving it all for their state
Pain- Paul Bowman playing on one leg, Michael Devere getting his head stapled on the field. The last 5 minutes of any origin game. Golden point extra time. But by far, the biggest pain comes when the reality sets in that your team has lost the series, and it will be 12 months before they get the chance to make amends.
Sorrow- RIP Peter Jackson, one of the true passionate greats
Adrenaline- Gorden Tallis V Bill Harrigan 2000 can’t name a person watching that match that the adrenaline didn’t affect. Wally Lewis V Mark Geyer 1991 another moment when men and women of all ages rose and screamed at either Lewis or Geyer.
Contact- Cement v Queensland, The Axe v New South Wales
Aggression- The Tallis tackle on Hodgson. Any number of tackles or elbows thrown by Les Boyd. Eric Grothe up the sideline. Jamie Goddard decking bargearse.
Sadness- Thursday morning after a loss, getting out of bed, buying the local rag and reading the wash-up.
Complete- Brett Kenny
Error- 10 metres out from your own goal line. In any other game, this means try time. In origin, it means work,work,work.
Magician- Walter Lewis
Mistake- Phil Duke, Justin Hodges
Blockbuster- 1991 Series. 2 Points separated the sides over the whole series
Therapy- Before the game XXXX, after a loss, professional help is needed.
Tight- 1st Game 1995 Queensland 2 def NSW 0
Blowout- 3rd game 2000 NSW 56 def Qld 16,
Revenge- 1st Game 2001 Qld 34 def NSW16,
Huge- Webke, Sironen, Roach, Harrogan, Backo, Clyde, Mason, Alfie’s heart
Necessity- Hate

Stuff State Vs State, Mate Vs Mate……………….For me in this 26TH!!!!!!! Year of origin………A fact that seems to have been hidden cleverly by the marketers that missed the boat last year…….,It’s HATE V HATE….Lets get back to basics. You know we don’t like you ****roaches. You’re a state full off self righteous bludgers that hate to admit when we have superior players than you do. When you defeat us, you call for a miniscule amount of representation in the Australian team for the Queensland players. When you lose, you do the big back flip and say that Origin form isn’t the major contributing factor for selection. For Christ sakes even after we’d won 4 out of the first 5 SoO matches, you still had more ****roaches in the Invincibles than Cane toads.
Get a dog up ya !!!! ****roach mongrels!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TooheysNew

Coach
Dilmah runs out for the lions, and trips over his bootlaces...

A Female Perspective

For most of the girls I know, Friday Night after 8.30 is a time to go out with the girlfriends, or in the case of married women, do the washing up. Anything to escape from the constant whinging of their man for a couple of hours. For us blokes Friday Night’s a great night for football.

There are however exceptions to this general rule. After careful and specific research, and continued observation of these particular females I have classified them into three distinct groups - the ‘Mothers‘, the ‘Converted Fans’, and the ‘Perverts’.

The Perverts are perhaps the best known of all these groups. You know the type. I’m talking about the people that sign up to internet message boards with names like Tahus#1Fan, or ILoveLockyer, and make post after post of incoherent dribble. If, for some purely morbid reason, you do feel the urge to read one of these posts, ensure you are sitting down. I have taken a short excerpt from one ‘Perverts’ post, just to give you an example of what I mean.

OMG......Like, I totally saw Craig Wing @ the footy last nite, and he took his shirt off, and like, it was AWESOME!!!!111

These are the same people that the AFL targets it’s advertising on. We’ve all seen the ad of the bloke in tight red shorts shaking his arse at a camera. That’s some quality advertising. If the NRL wanted to attract pre-teens to the game we’d do the same.

Feeling nauseous? I thought as much. Let’s move on.

The Second group I have studied is The Converted Fan. Growing up there was only so much Rugby League she could take. It was a natural progression. Her earliest memories are of warm Sunday Afternoons spent bonding with dad, perched on one knee, and a cold beer on the other - picking up all sorts of words not suitable for a child to know. An instant dislike for the referee, and a craving for blood.

She is the voice you hear from the sideline as you line up on the field for your junior football match. “Hurt him, line up the biggest bloke and drop him on his back”. She is the first one on the field when a fight breaks out, and she isn’t trying to break it up. She’s right in the middle throwing punches that would hurt even the most towering of prop forwards.

Now-a-days she spends her Girly Friday nights on the couch at home with the guys. She can drink any of them under the table, swear like a trooper, and belch louder and smellier than anyone. She has become the Converted Fan. There is no turning back from this point, none of this getting up and fetching beers for the boys, and coming back with healthy soy-chips and rice-snacks.

She strikes fear into the heart of most men.

Lastly, but certainly not the least vocal of the three, is The Mothers. Fueled by years and years of watching their kids play football, their attitude is not one of awe. It is fear, apprehension, and most of all - screeching.

Every big hit - every Webcke on Bailey clash - every Sonny-Bill shoulder charge is ruined by zthe heart-wrenching yelling from the seat next to you. “Get off him, he can’t breathe.” “You’ll snap his neck... I can’t watch, I can’t watch.” Ever time a player is hurt in a tackle The Mother is the type of woman who wants to run on the field and offer him a hug and a plate of warm scones. She really doesn’t have the attitude for Rugby League.

As you can imagine this really ruins the Rugby League experience. The best way to deal with this is to ask them to run to the fridge and grab you a beer, however this only works if you smother on the charm beforehand. Try it without the charm and you won’t get a beer just a slap across the mouth and a split lip. Not pleasant, however it does bring out that ‘biff spirit’ that’s been missing from Rugby League for so long.

These are the women of Rugby League.

698 words inc title

BW#1F - Panthers #5
---------------------------------------
“WHAT A TEAM” - PART 1

The year is 2006 and with the NRL’s cut down on Sydney based teams many clubs have merged and many world class players have had to move on from their respective clubs. The New Zealand Warriors are one of many clubs to benefit.

My Dream Warriors 2006 Strongest 13 is as follows:*

1. Brett Hodgson: Classy goal kicking fullback who is a dangers runner returning kicks with plenty of venom. Who picks his time to join the back line and invariably breaks the first tackle, with this team of deadly outside backs look for him to run off the hip of the likes of Webb, Price and Puletua.

2. L. Burt: The dynamic Eels outside back whose game is built around his great speed, nimble footwork and gusty approach would partner Justin Hodges down the right flank. Burt has great skills and anticipation while also being a superb finisher with an eye for a gap and the try line. Also enjoys the added responsibility of goal kicking and is an option for the frontline goal kicking duties in the side.

3. Justin Hodges: Enormous talent who made his debut in the top grade at age 17. Hodges has tremendous speed and all around attacking proficiency while also being and aggressive defender. Along with his never say die attitude and his motor mouth Hodges is bound to get over the top of a number of his opponents in more ways than one.

4. Todd Bryne: The excellent finisher with outstanding positional sense with his outside wing man Manu Vatuvei has worked to become one of the best and post exciting centre-wing pairings in the game today.

5. Manu Vatuvei: The huge 110kg 6’3 winger is a monster with speed to burn on the left flank for the club that gave him his opportunity in the big time in 2004. The Tongan torpedo as he has been nicknamed is a sensational young talent with an eye for the try line. And boy can he can score them from anywhere.

6.Nathan Fien: A Dashing running half with an outstanding kicking game, joined the Warriors in 2005 , and looks to have formed a great combination with young kiwi half Lance Hohaia.

7.Lance Hohaia: With Jones leaving the Warriors to take up his contract with French based English Super League Club UTC. Hohaia has been given the prized number seven jumper, and one, which he looks to continue to excel in after being in the shadows of Jones for the early years of his career. Hohaia a former sprint champion possesses plenty of speed off the mark and isn’t afraid to mix it with the big boys around the middle of the paddock.

8. Carl Webb: The massive Queensland forward terrorises defences with him bullocking charges into the defensive line and he certainly packs a punch in more ways than one. Without doubt plays with his heart and emotions on his sleeve and give it his all week in week out.

9. John Morris: Extremely talented Newcastle Knights junior who has great stamina and is able to carve up his opponents with timely dashes from dummy-half. Also has the pace and skill to cover anywhere else in the back line in case of injury

10. Steven Price: After 11 years with the Canterbury Bulldogs Price is now at the Warriors and is still inspirational as ever. The absolute workaholic front row forward leads from the front and always gives his best not matter what. Price never shirks his duties and is willing to do the touch jobs, like applying pressure on the opposition kickers and diving on the loose ball. With His spirited approach and big match experience he is a popular leader.

11. Tony Puletua: Powerful Kiwi back rower with the size and agility to hurt any opponent. Puletua possesses and excellent offload and ranks amongst one of the best game-breakers in the game today.

12. Willie Mason: The imposing giant who has taken everything into his wake in recent years with plenty of blockbuster performances will make plenty of inroads with his determined charges and his rock solid defence.

13. Ashley Harrison: Another workaholic player in both attack and defence. Harrison is a gifted athlete with great ball playing prowess, while also being a determined and busy defender who rarely strays from the action and tackles his heart out.

*All totally fictional of course, but what a great side it would be.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EA for the Lions.

City v Country.

The calls for the abolition of the annual City v Country clash leave me cold. Its importance to the people living in the bush is underestimated by just about everyone, excluding the NRL. I applaud their stand on the City v Country clashes because annoying as they are to some, to others the clash is an annual event to be savored. It’s a time where people from all areas of the NSW bush get to see their representatives, albeit in the Origin format, go up against the City slickers.

It’s easy to forget that he bush and bush footy were, for the best part of last century, the lifeblood of Rugby League. The amount of players who started their playing days in a NSW country town is phenomenal.

I hark back to 1981; I was with my wife-to-be holidaying at my Grandparents house in a sleepy little South coast town called Nimmitabel. We decided, at my Grandfather’s suggestion, to make the hour-long drive from Nimmitabel to Bemboka to see his local team play.

We paid our admission fee and drove the car atop a dirt mound level with the 20 metre line. Upon opening the window the first thing to assault the olfactory senses was the smell of steak sandwiches. Steak sandwiches that, we found out a couple of hours and dollars later, were so fresh and so tender that it was tempting to take a sneaky peek out the back of the clubhouse just to see if there were any signs that the local slaughterhouse had moved there temporarily.

A couple of hundred enthusiastic spectators littered the ground, some in their cars, others around the obligatory 44 gallon drum fire and the rest scattered around the spectator areas wearing clothing suited to the 4 degrees centigrade temperature. The talking interrupted occasionally to clap when the local reserves side scored. I think they clapped to keep warm.

After a chat to the ladies selling the steak sandwiches and a dash through the cold back to the car we settled in to watch the Firsts. The match was typical of the time, hard, tough and no-nonsense Footy at its most primal, the locals winning it on the bell in a low scoring match. After the match we stayed and chatted with the locals and players well into the darkness. We gave the Fullback a lift home and he told us of his dream to play in the big smoke. I don’t know if he ever made it and I doubt that he did, but it would have been a nice story and I wished him well.

The day was a reminder of just how much the game meant to those people. Footy brought them together every cold winter weekend, every year. One local bragged that he had never missed a game in 20 years and I believed him. They came from farms, towns and hamlets near and far to see the Footy and get together with people they’d see only once a week.

This brings me back to City v Country; as it stands in 2005 its fine, but not quite right. I’m not a fan of the Origin format for City v Country, I’d much rather see blokes who live and work in the country given the chance to pit their skills against the best, or even second best the NRL has to offer. If it must be in the Origin format then the long forgotten City 2’s v Country 2’s (Country 2’s made up of players plying their trade in the CRL Group competitions) should be re-instated immediately. The City 2’s should be made up of qualified NRL under 23 players. The game should be the curtain-raiser to the main game and it must be televised. We get to see our team play on TV every week and we’ve taken away the only opportunity for people in the bush to see their local players up against the best. It’s time to bring it back and give the people in the bush the chance to see their local players on the TV. It’s priceless advertising for the Greatest Game of All.

The harping on about risk of injury in what, to some, is a pointless game really should take a back seat to continually re-energising Rugby League in the place that has been Rugby League’s greatest nursery and it’s greatest supporter since day one, the country.

Rugby League is their game too.

745 words.

jed

First Grade
jed takes the pass from EA, dives over the line to complete a try for the Lions

------------------------------------------------

The life of the eternal “away” fan

It’s a tough life supporting a team that’s based 300kms away. Some days I wonder why I do it to myself, but then I remember how proud I am to be a Raiders fan, and I realize that there’s no way I could ever bring myself to support a rival club.

I guess I should tell you who I am to begin with. A friend once nicknamed me “Jed”, and the name stuck, nowadays more people know me as “Jed” than by my real name. First and foremost, I’m a Raiders fan, and barely a person that knows me is oblivious to the fact. Whether it’s a good or bad thing that I’m so closely identified by my family and work colleagues as being a Raiders supporter, I just don’t know. Nor do I care. I am who I am, and nothing they do or say will ever change that.

People think it’s a funny thing for someone that lives in Sydney to support an out of town team. I didn’t always live here though. I was born in Canberra, and lived there for the first few months of my life. Then, my parents returned to Melbourne to be closer to my grandmother. For the next 21 years of my life, I was raised as a Victorian, heading out to Princess Park and VFL Park to see Hawthorn play, or to Kardinia Park with my dad to see Geelong. However, as soon as I was old enough to know about Rugby League, my allegiance headed north of the border. I caught some games on television, and I was amazed at the pace of the game, at the skills that these players exhibited. State Of Origin had me transfixed in a way that I’d never known. But above all, there was a team from my home town, Canberra. Finally there was a team that I felt I could belong to.

I still had cousins that lived in Canberra, so I made plans to go to my first game. One Friday night (after school) in 1994 I caught the overnight Greyhound for my first trip on my own to Canberra. We played the Knights that weekend, and although it bucketed down the whole game, I was hooked. Over the next 4 years, I made many more weekend trips up from Melbourne to see the Raiders.

Then, after the end of the 98 season, I moved to Sydney for work. That made it a lot easier to get to games – I was now only 3 hours away from the games, not the 10+ hours that it used to take on the overnight Greyhound. As well, there were half a dozen “away” games each season that were played in Sydney. More games that I could make it to.

I think of myself as being “the eternal away fan”.

With games in Sydney, where I only have a minimal amount of travel, the Raiders fans make up a small but vocal minority. At it’s worst, we’ll be outnumbered fifty to one, the best that we can hope for is ten to one. The players appreciate the efforts that the Sydney Green Brigade put in. Especially at some of the smaller grounds, where the crowd’s almost at capacity, it’s good for them to see a patch of lime green in an otherwise “hostile” crowd, to see that they’ve got support. I’ve regularly been with the SGB now for since 2003, and many of my best friends are people that I’ve met at the games.

Travelling down to Bruce Stadium to see the Raiders play involves a minimum of 6 hours travel. Add to that watching the junior grades, and hopefully hanging around for the post-game presentation, it becomes a 12 hour round-trip. Comparing that with the Canberra-based guys in the Raiders Army that live within half an hour of the stadium, I definitely feel like an out-of-towner. And because I’m away from home for so long, my weekends are decimated. A Saturday night game usually means staying the night, which means I’m away from home for most of Saturday and Sunday. Sunday games aren’t quite as bad, but it still means leaving early Sunday morning, and not returning home until late that evening.

Which brings me back to my original point. Life isn’t easy when your team is located so far away. But nothing would ever make me change teams. I’m a Raider until the day I die.

-----------------------------------------

749 words between the lines (including title)

antonius

Coach
Panthers Scores

Paul-The-Cowboy
An ode to St.Helens
713 Words

Very clever, very entertaining.

Score 91

Big Mick
Make sure you get your vaccinations
750 Words

Some interesting thoughts in this one. The Net definitely does promote the game in a positive fashion. The structure, and grammar let this down a little.

Score 82

Azkatro
Smith shoots down cowboys[/size]

743 Words
Poetry seems to be the flavor this round. Another quality effort.

Score 89

Maelgwnau
What is old should be new
748 Words

See note further down the thread

Score 0

Brent Webbs No 1 Fan
What a team part 1
746 Words

Dream on, the writer puts his dream team together. Really you need to go a little further than a team list to get a higher mark.

Score 82

Panthers Total 344

Lions Scores

parra_panther
THERE’S SOMETHING ABOUT PARRAMATTA.
736 Words

What goes around, comes around. I guess everyone has at least one team the really dislike. A few grammatical errors lowered the score.

Score 82

Jed
The life of the eternal "away" fan
749 Words

You ARE a devout fan.

Score 85

EA
City v Country
745 Words

Very descriptive (I could smell the steak sangers) Reading this brings back memories of the first games I used to go to. I tend to agree, bring back the true country teams.

Score 89

Dilmah
A Female Perspective
699 Words

This is a really good read. I can associate one of these classifications to every female fan I know. In fact one of them is all of them rolled into one.

Score 89

Mr Rock
The best time of the year
749 Words

A quality article, that was great reading. Really got my juices going..

Score 94

Lions Total 439

Result Lions 439 Defeated Panthers 344

MOTM Mr Rock. :C:

There were some very good efforts that were really good reading in this game. In any other match there are about 4 or 5 that would be MOTM contenders.:thumn