What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 2 vs North Qld @ Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville / Wulgurukaba

Who will win? Round 2: North Qld v Newcastle

• North Queensland Cowboys 13+

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • North Queensland Cowboys 1-12

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zoidberg

First Grade
Losing Dom has put more pressure onto Marzhew. I think more kicks were going to Dom’s wing last year to avoid him taking the 2nd ruck run. Losing that threat means more kicks going Marzhew’s way (his weakness) while also taking him out of the 2nd ruck run.
I also think Brailey will bring more direction from dummy half and some of the leadership we desperately need.

Losing Dom has put more pressure onto Marzhew. I think more kicks were going to Dom’s wing last year to avoid him taking the 2nd ruck run. Losing that threat means more kicks going Marzhew’s way (his weakness) while also taking him out of the 2nd ruck run.
I also think Brailey will bring more direction from dummy half and some of the leadership we desperately need.
Good analysis, do anything to avoid a 2 mtr tall monster getting up a head of steam.

perverse

Referee
He's getting around the field like a crippled old bloke in general.
Shades of Blake Green before he hung up the boots. Everyone is shitting on Gamble after 2 rounds, but he's been out there having a crack and putting on some great tackles and moments. I'd argue most of his bad this year so far has been a result or trying too hard. Hastings has ranged from completely invisible to mildly ineffective. Our problems right now, for mine, are on touches 1 and 2 of the ball in every play. Hooker -> Halfback is providing nothing right now, in good ball or bad.

If I were to bring Cogger in for anyone right now, and i think it's probably still premature (although i think might be inevitable), it would be for Hastings. Gamble can keep an eye over his shoulder for Pryce, and Pryce should be looking at the situation and tearing the house down in reggies because there's a door opening for him if things continue as is.

The halves are certainly failing, and we have depth to try in the position. I dunno how long before you pull the trigger. What I would say is there was huge improvement from week 1 to week 2. I think that gets lost in the disappointment a bit, but it was there. They'll need to double or triple that week on week improvement to even get a sniff this weekend.

Old dog

Bench
If Hastings is not fit, troubles with kicking, then that would effect the whole team but especially the spine and especially putting extra pressure on the likes of Gamble.
If fit he plays if not then Cogger in.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Brailey can't get back soon enough. High effort guys have a lower ceiling and we hit that last year. Expecting Gamble and Phoenix to maintain that was never smart.

Apey

Staff member
Hastings has never been the fastest bloke but he's also had injury upon injury. The guy is 28, two years older than Cleary. Fans from other clubs shit on our halves but both him and Gamble last year were a huge part of our success. Hastings did end it with another injury though, and you kinda wonder if this is now his new baseline.

He deserved first choice based off of last year and he deserves a few more chances but I don't think we signed Cogger to be a 14 (on the presumption that Brailey will just always be injured??) or to sit in reggies. He's on what, 500k? For NSW Cup? If Hasting's form keeps up, Cogger will be given a chance at 7, much to the dismay of some here.

I'm keen to see how he would go because while slotting in to that team is an easier job, he did so pretty seamlessly when Cleary was out at the end of the season. Not to mention replacing Luai in the GF.

slotmachine

First Grade
There is no way cogger is on 500k or anywhere near. When he was signed it was on the back of being a backup in English superleague and five games for the Panthers.

He was signed to replace clune, but he might get a shot in firsts, not because he's particularly good, but because the bloke currently there looks like he's aged 20 years in the off season.

There is no way cogger is on 500k or anywhere near. When he was signed it was on the back of being a backup in English superleague and five games for the Panthers.

He was signed to replace clune, but he might get a shot in firsts, not because he's particularly good, but because the bloke currently there looks like he's aged 20 years in the off season.
yeh I really think on the back of a media seeking talking points, and clicks people are over stating Cogger by a long way.

If he is given a chance though I hope he kills it and becomes the second coming of the 8th - I very much doubt it though.

Apey

Staff member

You're right, I overstated his contract, I thought that was the number getting thrown around when we signed him but seems unlikely.
yeh I really think on the back of a media seeking talking points, and clicks people are over stating Cogger by a long way.

If he is given a chance though I hope he kills it and becomes the second coming of the 8th - I very much doubt it though.
Or maybe they watched other games. Nobody is expecting him to be a top line halfback. He will be our 7 if Hastings still looks like he does in few rounds time, though.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
You're right, I overstated his contract, I thought that was the number getting thrown around when we signed him but seems unlikely.

Or maybe they watched other games. Nobody is expecting him to be a top line halfback. He will be our 7 if Hastings still looks like he does in few rounds time, though.
I agree. People have watched the games. And they've noticed the only time he looked good was in a historically successful Penrith side coming off the bench.

Otherwise he's the kind of half that leads to you looking at who's on the market.

I agree. People have watched the games. And they've noticed the only time he looked good was in a historically successful Penrith side coming off the bench.

Otherwise he's the kind of half that leads to you looking at who's on the market.
Exactly. He was bought to the club as a solid back-up to replace Clune.

If he is our 7 out of necessity we should be going to market looking for a replacement - we arent winning a Premiership with him