What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
If only the Lomax release news was treated the same way as the Fisher-Harris news was handled. The Saints fans were treated to months of $hite press leading up to it whilst the Panthers fans did not have anything to read about this move until it actually happened.
Didn't Flanno decide not to give anything away about who we are targeting but keep it in house? He did with Nu Brown so I'm convinced that Turuva might have been considered which the media has made it look like we are really trying hard to snare him when in fact Flanno has kept things quiet on someone else - well I hope so anyway.

They buy where they need to. They don't have that much depth in the front row, it is one of their weaker positions on the depth chart. They will be looking to sign a front rower. Maybe not an 800k front rower so they can shore up some other spots, but they will be in the market
Agree that they buy where they need to. But they do it on the cheap. If they buy a front rower, it will be a good player on reasonable money. They will not buy an 800k front rower.

Didn't Flanno decide not to give anything away about who we are targeting but keep it in house? He did with Nu Brown so I'm convinced that Turuva might have been considered which the media has made it look like we are really trying hard to snare him when in fact Flanno has kept things quiet on someone else - well I hope so anyway.
The only person who wants it out in public is Turuva's agent.

Panthers have lost 2 of their top 3 props in consecutive seasons.. the only question is whether they have someone in cup that can step up and they actually dont need JFH? Or do they go and chase a 1st grade quality middle on less coin?

Either way its another slap in the face for us and Turuva, we still have the lure of fullback.. its our only crack.... but now the panthers can prob pay him 450-500k.. and our offer of 600k is lowballing imo.. we keep offering fractionally over market value, but you cant market value urself out of the cellar.
Leniu is a good player, but only played 20 minutes a night. That's not too hard to replace. JFH is harder to replace but Lindsay Smith, and Liam Henry are coming along well. The other thing is that Mitch Kenny is a much better defender than Api , so he takes up some of the slack.

TheRev

First Grade
I am so glad we didn't offer fullback money straight away, offering overs to guys is a big part of the reason we're in this mess.
I know what you mean.. But I actually think paying overs is not really how we got here.. We got here because of extending coaches and poor staffing selections.. Not enough hunger to be better... We had a roster that could bring players in back in the Vaughan, sims, Fritz era.. But we got lazy and let it disintegrate.. Its very very hard now to fix that..

I think we need to pay overs and pull a couple of quality 2025 signings.. Then all. Of a sudden we can negotiate harder..

Right now we still have 0 signings for next year.. Getting very concerned that we will have to rely on another year of depth signings.

It's a bit like the dogs buying bmorris or adocarr.. Paid a bit over but they ended up great wingers and can cover fullback in a pinch.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Leniu is a good player, but only played 20 minutes a night. That's not too hard to replace. JFH is harder to replace but Lindsay Smith, and Liam Henry are coming along well. The other thing is that Mitch Kenny is a much better defender than Api , so he takes up some of the slack.
For me the the jewel of the crown in their middle forwards is not Leota either, all though very good.............its their captain Isaah Yeo. That guys work rate in the middle is just awesome. YEO is like trying to escape a spider.....you dont

Parko1310

Juniors
Panthers already enquiring about Stefano.. as expected, they're looking to recruit. Stefano is one I think we should really be after considering the Tigers won't make finals and he'll have the ability to leave his contract. But, if he activates the clause and Penrith are interested, we're no chance. I guess he'd only activate it anyway for the potential to go to a club that at first glance looks like it could win something soon. From the outside, we clearly look like a steaming pile of shit, mostly because we have been for so long. It's hard to get players to buy into a vision from the outside. Think we should seriously be looking into Trey Mooney too. If we could get him and Stefano by some miracle, it would be amazing business

TheRev

First Grade
Dogs and god know who else would be in for Stefano also.. it would be a feeding frenzy.. the only thing is who has the cash at at that time of year.. but then again, the chance to get picked up by penrith or a broncos or a storm.. how would you turn that down..

possm

Coach
If it is about the "war chest $$$$" and adding $850 k to it to entice some marquis players then the war chest $$$$ could have also been equally enhanced by keeping Lomax and letting Hunt go (he asked often enough) and that would have been IMO a far more sensible outcome all-round.

However I suspect the sad reality is that Hunt had nowhere to go and was not easily marketable where Lomax is and as funds are needed he is deemed expendable.

Lomax could very well be nothing more than collateral damage due the Hunt extension.

The worst scenario is Lomax gone war chest topped up and no significant signing for 2025 and that would be seriously criminal.

I suspect Hunt staying at 7 ensures Kyle F a position at 6 for the duration and that was influential in the decision making.

Hunt to 9 or out the door meant that the halves needed a total overhaul and no guarantees for anyone so that was never going to be in the plan.
I think that Flanno feels we have the backline depth but badly need some really good props and possibly a top-class fullback. Hence I think that some of our lower grade props will be let go and along with Lomax and Bird, Saints will try and strengthen our pack and promote a couple of backs to first-grade.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I think Stefano is overrated. He's good. But he'll underperform his next contract.
mate im not sold he will under perform

I hear what you are saying that he may go for a $1mill pa and or stepped towards it.......and will the team that contracts him get a $1mill prop performance week to week?

Probably not in 2025.........most likely 2026 (given Lawrie was a top10 in 2023 and I think they chalk and cheese athletes).

the kid is 23 and a prop.

If we compare how many top10 props in the comp are 23 or under.............its not many.........they would be an absolute outlier.

I think Stefano will come into a very impressive cycle at 24/25/26/27yrs of age and I think it will take a 4 year contract to get him.

He is an up and coming enforcer.............no doubt.

mate im not sold he will under perform

I hear what you are saying that he may go for a $1mill pa and or stepped towards it.......and will the team that contracts him get a $1mill prop performance week to week?

Probably not in 2025.........most likely 2026 (given Lawrie was a top10 in 2023 and I think they chalk and cheese athletes).

the kid is 23 and a prop.

If we compare how many top10 props in the comp are 23 or under.............its not many.........they would be an absolute outlier.

I think Stefano will come into a very impressive cycle at 24/25/26/27yrs of age and I think it will take a 4 year contract to get him.

I agree it will take a big contract. I think Payne Haas is worth that kind of contract, but I don't think Stefano is. Did you see him last week?

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I agree it will take a big contract. I think Payne Haas is worth that kind of contract, but I don't think Stefano is. Did you see him last week?
I think it depends what cycle the club trying to secure Stefano is in

We aint going to find a spearheard older experienced dominant prop for 2025 nor 2026 me thinks.

Happy to entertain contra opinions and likely hood?

I think we will have to launch at an emerging dominant prop.

I think Stefano probably suits our cycle of what we need and when.

Unless we can nail an AFB type of prop we need to step in a future spartan !

2024 biting at top8 and about 12 wins ish
2025 in the top 8 and 14 wins plus
2026 fighting tooth and nail for a top4 (Stefano is turning 26 yrs of age in 2026 before the finals and he will be up to 120 games or so as a young prop)

I think it depends what cycle the club trying to secure Stefano is in

We aint going to find a spearheard older experienced dominant prop for 2025 nor 2026 me thinks.

Happy to entertain contra opinions and likely hood?

I think we will have to launch at an emerging dominant prop.

I think Stefano probably suits our cycle of what we need and when.

Unless we can nail an AFB type of prop we need to step in a future spartan !

2024 biting at top8 and about 12 wins ish
2025 in the top 8 and 14 wins plus
2026 fighting tooth and nail for a top4 (Stefano is turning 26 yrs of age in 2026 before the finals and he will be up to 120 games or so as a young prop)
Yes. He's the right age. I just don't think he's the right player.