What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths Logan and Acacia Ridge

what are the chances of Souths Logan leaving Davies Park? So far this year they've taken a game to Brandon Park in Acacia Ridge, today's game was moved to Hinricks Oval in Blackwater near Gladstone, and they are taking their rd 22 game against Easts to Brandon Park as well.

IMO Acacia Ridge would be a far better location for the team, considering that is where their juniors are and that West End is no longer Rugby League heartland.

chileman

Coach
Would suit me down to the ground if I wanted to go and see a game or 3.....you please the Scorpian supporters too that use to travel to Meakin Park!

bender

Juniors
chileman said:
Would suit me down to the ground if I wanted to go and see a game or 3.....you please the Scorpian supporters too that use to travel to Meakin Park!

If Souths were moving from the traditional davies park, wouldnt it be to Logan City?

mightybears

Bench
acacia ridge is just north of the logan council area, and its in a good spot for growth

greenbabk rsl should/has the money to run a 'new' logan qld cup team, even if they move it to the south west of meakin,

zulu

Juniors
I'm going to start a keep the Maggies at Davies Park rally.

We'll stop traffic on the the William Jolly.

Sydney Carton

Juniors
zulu said:
I'm going to start a keep the Maggies at Davies Park rally.

Show me a relocation in the past 10 years which has worked.

If they're too stupid to find ways to attract supporters at West End they'll be just as stupid at Acacia Ridge.

At West End you have a population which likes to eat out, attend markets and festivals, and generally get outside their lounge rooms on weekends. These people will clearly try new things. Souths need to have some of the things these people like happening inside Davies Park. Souths need a presence at the other events in West End to lift their profile and show they are part of the community there. Never once did I see this when I lived locally. How about international food themed days at home games with free tickets given out on the Saturday in West End?

What do we hear though? - Whinging about the area no longer being a rugby league heartland. There's no such thing anymore. Local League clubs are just a small player in the entertainment market. They need to niche market themselves according to their local population.

At Acacia Ridge they will have a few more rugby league minded people yes. But the vast majority will spend their Sunday arvos in front of the tele watching Rabs and his gaggle of travelling geese cover the Broncos or NRL.

mightybears

Bench
Stewbum said:
Show me a relocation in the past 10 years which has worked.

If they're too stupid to find ways to attract supporters at West End they'll be just as stupid at Acacia Ridge.

At West End you have a population which likes to eat out, attend markets and festivals, and generally get outside their lounge rooms on weekends. These people will clearly try new things. Souths need to have some of the things these people like happening inside Davies Park. Souths need a presence at the other events in West End to lift their profile and show they are part of the community there. Never once did I see this when I lived locally. How about international food themed days at home games with free tickets given out on the Saturday in West End?

What do we hear though? - Whinging about the area no longer being a rugby league heartland. There's no such thing anymore. Local League clubs are just a small player in the entertainment market. They need to niche market themselves according to their local population.

At Acacia Ridge they will have a few more rugby league minded people yes. But the vast majority will spend their Sunday arvos in front of the tele watching Rabs and his gaggle of travelling geese cover the Broncos or NRL.

agreed, but league needs to grow in the outer suburbs at qld cup level, on the southside thats the 'delfinlands' and the beaudesert/west logan corridor otherwise union and soccer [in the delfinlands] and afl generally will fill the gap in the medium term.

both the afl and union do a lot of work in the west logan area at primary school level, league may be more popular but they aren't doing the work at ground level that the other codes are doing.

brothers are a 'name' in the se qld sporting market, if the will exists at qrl and brethern level, a west logan or just brisbane brothers in the sw burbs would do wonders for the game

re souths at davies, they could learn from what newtown is doing, similar demographics/population trends

Sydney Carton

Juniors
mightybears said:
agreed, but league needs to grow in the outer suburbs at qld cup level, on the southside thats the 'delfinlands' and the beaudesert/west logan corridor otherwise union and soccer [in the delfinlands] and afl generally will fill the gap in the medium term.

both the afl and union do a lot of work in the west logan area at primary school level, league may be more popular but they aren't doing the work at ground level that the other codes are doing.

brothers are a 'name' in the se qld sporting market, if the will exists at qrl and brethern level, a west logan or just brisbane brothers in the sw burbs would do wonders for the game

re souths at davies, they could learn from what newtown is doing, similar demographics/population trends

I dont disagree with anything you say there.

I think it is the place of a new club (or existing SD Club to step up) to service those areas. Relocation just doesn't seem to work. Caboolture-Valleys, Pine Rivers Brothers etc didn't seem to capture the imagination of the locals. There are an equal amount of reasons that Easts shouldn't have survived at Coorparoo but they have made it work.

Good point re Newtown. Had Valleys survived they could have captured a similarly trendy market.

Gotta spend money to make money though and no-one wants to dine at Souths or Wests Leagues CLub. Not because they are leagues clubs or because of their location, but because they are dingy remnants of 1970s architecture and decoration.

mightybears

Bench
Stewbum said:
I dont disagree with anything you say there.

I think it is the place of a new club (or existing SD Club to step up) to service those areas. Relocation just doesn't seem to work. Caboolture-Valleys, Pine Rivers Brothers etc didn't seem to capture the imagination of the locals. There are an equal amount of reasons that Easts shouldn't have survived at Coorparoo but they have made it work.

Good point re Newtown. Had Valleys survived they could have captured a similarly trendy market.

Gotta spend money to make money though and no-one wants to dine at Souths or Wests Leagues CLub. Not because they are leagues clubs or because of their location, but because they are dingy remnants of 1970s architecture and decoration.

ultimately its about revenue streams, valleys, brothers moved then tried a merger because they essentially stuffed up the introduction of the pokies [said revenue stream]in qld. Two high profile and sucessful on field entities that died [at the moment at the top level] because of mismanagement.

easts, redcliffe, burleigh etc got the model right re their market and/or had less competition for the pokies dollar [amazing the number of north and inner north sporting teams really struggling on the field/kicked out/demoted to lower divisions- norths union, mayne tigers, valleys, brothers etc], shame kedron wavell didn't adopt valleys or brothers!

and yes souths leagues is very average, makes brothers st brendans look good/haven't been to wests leagues

Sgt Schultz

Juniors
I think it's a positive move for Souths especially if they can pick up some cash for moving from the council and to be in the same complex as their juniors can only help.

mightybears

Bench
Sgt Schultz said:
I think it's a positive move for Souths especially if they can pick up some cash for moving from the council and to be in the same complex as their juniors can only help.

think rocklea utd soccer/the croatian community team play next door as well/could be wrong

fair to say the council is going to have to improved the infrastructure in the area, bloody big school going in at stretton, all the fields filling up with the good, the bad and the ugly of housing development at rapid speed, a train line would be good as well

Sgt Schultz

Juniors
I had heard Souths would be playing on a field that used to be a soccer field I'm not sure how many soccer fields are in the area they are talking about.

Razor

Coach
Meakin Park is an excellect location

Just off the freeway
Reasonable parking

It's a reasonable stadium as well

Public transport is a joke, but it is all over Logan. But the access just off the freeway is perfect.

Also the stadium is about 1km from my place, so I can walk there.

Sydney Carton

Juniors
Razor said:
Meakin Park is an excellect location

Just off the freeway
Reasonable parking

It's a reasonable stadium as well

Public transport is a joke, but it is all over Logan. But the access just off the freeway is perfect.

Also the stadium is about 1km from my place, so I can walk there.

Only trouble is when the game finishes your car is no longer in the car park. :D

I used to go and watch Logan a fair bit. I rate Meakin the third best ground in the Qld Cup behind Langlands Park and Dolphin Oval.

Latest posts