What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL Quiz

I asked this question in the NFL section too.

How were the first four Super Bowls different than the rest? It's not worded very well, but it's a good question if you know NFL history.

GBT

Juniors
The winners of the first four Super Bowls didn't recieve the Vince Lombardi trophy. :?:

GBT said:
The winners of the first four Super Bowls didn't recieve the Vince Lombardi trophy. :?:

Probably true, since Vince was the coach of the first 2 winners. I don't know when the trophy was nameed after Lombardi, probably after he died which would put it past the first 4 SB's. Anyway, that's not the answer I was thinking of.

GBT

Juniors
CanadianSteve said:
GBT said:

Probably true, since Vince was the coach of the first 2 winners. I don't know when the trophy was nameed after Lombardi, probably after he died which would put it past the first 4 SB's. Anyway, that's not the answer I was thinking of.

The first four Super Bowls featured winners of the NFL and AFL, which changed to the NFC and AFC.

You've got it Gav. I made a longer reply on the other thread.

I'm not sure about the artificial turf in SB V, zef, but the question was what was different between the first 4 and all the rest. There have been SB's on grass and Astroturf since the first four. Make sense, or will I have to explain it a few more times? ;-)

Here's what I said on the NFL thread:

That's it Gav. The AFL was a rival league which started in 1960. When they agreed to merge, they played 4 Super Bowls as separate leagues, with the 2 champs meeting. The first SB was big news because it was a mystery how the AFL Chiefs would do, but the Packers handled them easily, same with the Raiders in SB II. But in SB III the underdog AFL NY Jets led by quarterback Joe Namath beat the Baltimore Colts. A shocker which was repeated the next year when the AFL's KC Chiefs beat the Minnesota Vikings handily.

After that the 2 leagues merged fully, with 2 conferences, the AFC (old AFL plus 3 NFL teams) and the NFC. The rivalry has never been quite the same as when it was the champs of 2 separate leagues playing

GBT

Juniors
Steve, the Vince Lombardi Trophy was first awarded in 1971. There is an official Vince Lombardi website. I wish the greats of Rugby League were honoured in they same way they honour the chamions of American sports.

Hasn't the AFC continued to be considered the weaker of the two conferences?

If you want a question, I might be a while. :?

Gav, in the 1970's the AFC was the stronger conference, with Miami, Pittsburgh and Oakland being the dominant teams of the 70's. Only the Dallas Cowboys won for the NFC in the 70's. In the 80's up to the early 90's the NFC was stronger. Since the mid-90's when Denver won 2 SB's, I'd say the 2 conferences are prety equal.

Some questions about the AFL and the merger of the leagues:

Name 3 original AFL teams that have changed their names since they srarted playing (one was a change in city as well)

Name 2 NFL teams that were AFL expansion teams ( as opposed to original AFL teams).

Name the 3 NFL teams that moved to the AFC when it became one big league.

GBT

Juniors
Name 3 original AFL teams that have changed their names since they srarted playing (one was a change in city as well)
Baltimore Colts (Indianapolis), LA Chargers (San Diego) New York Titans changed to Jets (1963)

Name 2 NFL teams that were AFL expansion teams ( as opposed to original AFL teams).
Atlanta and Miami?

Steelers, Browns and Colts moved there from the NFL to the AFC.

GBT said:
Name 3 original AFL teams that have changed their names since they started playing (one was a change in city as well)
Baltimore Colts (Indianapolis), LA Chargers (San Diego) New York Titans changed to Jets (1963)

Colts were always an NFL team. Chargers - correct, I forgot them. Titans/Jets - correct. Also - Dallas Texans became Kansas City Chiefs in early 60's, Boston Patriots became New England Patriots when they moved to a new stadium in Foxboro, Mass.

Atlanta and Miami?

Atlanta and New Orleans were NFL expansion teams in the late 60's. Miami - correct. The other AFL expansion team was the Cincinnati Bengals

Steelers, Browns and Colts moved there from the NFL to the AFC.

Correct

GBT

Juniors
Okay Steve, this is probably an easy one.

In what year did the Arizona Cardinals join the NFL and what was their original name?

I know they were the Chicago Cardinals originally, then were in St Louis for most of the 60's, 70's and 80's. I can't recall exactly when they moved to Arizona, late 80s or early 90s. I still think of them as the St. Louis Cardinals, and the Rams as the Los Angeles Rams (who I think started in Cleveland before the Browns existed.)

When the Cardinals joined the NFL - without looking it up I'd guess it was in the 1930s or 40s. They probably moved to St. louis in the 50s, where the baseball team is also the Cardinals. You used to have to say the St Louis football Cardinals to distinguish them from the baseball team. (Same with the New York football Giants in the 50s, until the New York Giants baseball team moved to San Francisco in 1958)

GBT

Juniors
Close Steve. The Cardinals began as the Chicago Cardinals, but it was earlier than the 30's.

GBT

Juniors
Chileman, you're right in a way. The Cards joined the AFPA in 1920 which then changed it's name to the NFL in 1922.

You get the gig.

chileman

Coach
Legendary Raiders TE Dave Casper became the 13th member of the Silver & Black to be inducted into Pro Football’s Hall of Fame. How many seasons did he play with the Raiders and what years were they?

Dragon Fanatic said:
WTF ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT?

What's the point of this question?

To the quiz: Dave Casper played 6 and a half years with Raiders, from 1974-1980. He was traded to the Houston Oilers where he was re-united with ex-Raiders QB Kenny the Snake Stabler. He played again with the Raiders in 1984 before retiring.

Casper was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame last summer.

Assuming I'm right (because I looked it up), name another tight end in the HOF. There aren't many.

Latest posts