What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is NRL gossip person Rebecca Wilson a repeat drink driver herself?

Copa

Bench
cainen said:
Coincidently, she was once on ABC's The Glass House program. Whilst on this program she admitted that she gave her teenage son (aged 15 or so) alcohol to drink before he went out with his friends. Her logic was that if he drank at home then he wouldn't drink while he was out. The rest of the panel paid her out bigtime and Dave Hughes sarcastically remarked that of course, there's no way a 15 year old kid that drinks at home isn't going to be drinking while he's out.
goodness.... it gets worse..

I hope they all stay away from RL... RL doesn't need Bec culture lowering standards in RL clubs across the country..

Surandy

Bench
Brutus said:
Remember Rebecca's lame excuse when she was caught out by Choppies?

She blamed it on an angry Bulldogs supporter when the fact was she published a completely fabricated story given to her by an anonymous emailer. The emailer turned out to be a Roosters fan anyway.:lol:

The lowest of low journalism that anyone of us could do. How easy would it be to get paid for writing crap people send you 3rd hand - much of it untrue.

Didn't she claim that she had checked her "facts" with City Rail?

El Diablo

Post Whore
she claimed a cityrail employee rang her and confirmed it if memory serves me correctly

sure they did lol

Surandy

Bench
Brutus said:
Good to see that brilliant league journo Dean Ritchie has jumped on Wes' case. Telling the world what a bad little boy he is. Nevermind the Tri Nations hey Deano.

I'm still waiting for LockyNo1's post "it was an isolated incident". That's what the idiot always says about AFL players.

cainen said:
I'm pretty sure it's legal for a parent to give their underage child a drink in their own home. I'm sure there would be limits though.

no its illegal to sell and or supply minors with alcohol ( at least in NSW) doesnt matter if your the parent or not , its still illegal.

i run a bottleshop and the amount of parents that come in with their kids and let them pick out what they want is staggering. when they come up to the counter and you ask for ID its always the same line from the parent ' but i'm buying it, not him/her' needless to say they become pretty p*ssed when we refuse the sale.

El Diablo

Post Whore
herbert henry1908 said:
no its illegal to sell and or supply minors with alcohol ( at least in NSW) doesnt matter if your the parent or not , its still illegal.

i run a bottleshop and the amount of parents that come in with their kids and let them pick out what they want is staggering. when they come up to the counter and you ask for ID its always the same line from the parent ' but i'm buying it, not him/her' needless to say they become pretty p*ssed when we refuse the sale.

not true

http://www.yapa.org.au/youthwork/facts/alcohol.pdf

Summary: under 18s and alcohol
So to summarise the information above, while many people think that it is illegal for under 18s to drink, the law is not that simple. Legally under 18s can:

• possess and drink alcohol in private (eg. in their own home, at a friend’s house, at a refuge)

• drink alcohol in an unlicensed restaurant with their parents

El Diablo said:

but the point is that it is illegal to supply a minor with alcohol in NSW.

the law is very clear in this regard the offence for doing so can be $5500. ( i have also had discussions with licensing police about this)

i think that yapa fact sheet is out of date as the laws were ammended in 2000.

http://www.dgr.nsw.gov.au/pdfs/infosheet_Underage_Drinking.pdf

The offence of supplying liquor to a minor is often referred to as a
“second party sale” - usually where a friend of the minor (or a parent
or another adult) purchases the liquor and then supplies it to the
minor.

cainen

Juniors
Thanks El Diablo. I started searching for something to back up my statement before realising you'd done it for me.

However there are exceptions. It is not illegal for
an adult to supply alcohol to an under 18 year
old, away from licensed premises, if:
• they are a parent or guardian of the person,
or
• they were authorised by the parent or
guardian.

This section precedes that bit, which is understandably why herbert henry1908 is confused:

There are many offences listed in the Liquor Act
1982, mainly relating to licensed premises (bottle
shops, hotels, clubs, and restaurants which are
licensed to sell alcohol). Here are some of the
more relevant offences.
It is illegal for an adult to:
• obtain alcohol from licensed premises on
behalf of an under 18, or
• to sell or supply alcohol to an under 18 year
old.

cainen

Juniors
But herbert henry1908 may be right. It's been a long time since I was told it was legal for an underaged person to consume alcohol in a private dwelling.

El Diablo said:
but if its the parents alcohol consumed by the child in their own home its fine

my bad , your right that is fine. Its just direct supply that is illegal.

its a very fine line though and the only way someone would ever get caught is if a police officer was present at the sale and heard a minor request alcohol to be bought for him/her.

cainen

Juniors
But if the parent is giving the child alcohol, as is the case with Wilson, even if it wasn't purchased with the intention of doing so, then she is still supplying the child with it. So Wilson must be breaking the law if the info herbert henry1908 gives is correct.

Edit: This article suggests that what Wilson is doing is illegal: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/08/01/1059480560872.html

But, except for NSW, no laws exist banning adults or parents from giving alcohol to young people in private dwellings. Ms Worth said she raised the issue after a man wrote to her about his child who had died as a result of drinking alcohol given to him by his friend's mother.

Brutus

Referee
El Diablo said:
she claimed a cityrail employee rang her and confirmed it if memory serves me correctly

sure they did lol

I can't believe she blatantly lied just to get out of that mess.

It could have been a massive coincidence though:lol:

bartman

Immortal
Imagine if some of the people who post here had her job, her pay, and her access to the game....

There could be some wonderful, insightful, pashionate, even award-winning journalism in the pages of the Tele about this sport, journalism that would sell more papers and internet clicks than Wilson's amateur muck-raking approach any day.

juanfarkall

Coach
Just for a moment imagine how Chewbacca would "report" said underage drinking if it was..... say a Rugby League named Wilson who supplied alcohol to his daughter.

Headline...

League Star in underage drunken sex scandal.
Article...

High Profile Rugby League Star Reg Wilson is looking at jail time for admitting on National TV that he has provided alcohol to a 15 year old girl.
Several other TV personalities criticised Wilson for the actions however the Dubbo Dropbears Superstar was unrepentant stating that "if he gave the girl a few drinks before she went out, she would be less likely to get drunk when she was out".
Dubbo Dropbears club officials were unavailable for comment on the matter however a source at the club said that many officials at the club would be happy to see the end of Wilson who has a track record for drinking misdemeanours.
It is believed that NSW police are likely to charge Wilson with a string of offences involving the incident with an underage girl.

Latest posts