What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos squad for 2008 NYC

girvie

Staff member
I found these player's names on the Action Photo Website under NYC squads. There are possibly a few others players who are also in the squad, but I thought I would post the list until the squad is officially announced.

Player/ position(s) / 2007 team
Tyson Andrews (prop) Sunshine Coast
Kerryn Blake (lock) Redcliffe
Arthur Brown (fullback) Sunshine Coast
Tom Butterfield (?) Redcliffe
Shaun Cotter (lock) Wynnum Manly
Josh Coyle (prop) Burleigh
Mitchell Dodds (?) Wynnum Manly
Guy Ford (prop) Wynnum Manly
Alex Glenn (centre) Burleigh
Matt Handcock (second row) Redcliffe
Josh Hoffman (fullback/wing) Redcliffe
Leon Panapa (five-eighth) Wynnum Manly
Wiremu Ratana (wing/centre) Aspley
Luke Samoa (fullback/wing) Norths Devils
Tariq Sims (wing) Illawarra SB
Michael Spence (?) Redcliffe
Nathan Strudwick (hooker) Aspley
Jharal Yow Yee (wing) Norths Devils
Tim Yee (five-eighth) Redcliffe

girvie

Staff member
girvie's top 17 from those players listed:
1. Josh Hoffman
2. Luke Samoa
3. Alex Glenn
4. Wiremu Ratana
5. Jharal Yow Yee
6. Tim Yee
7. Leon Panapa
8. Guy Ford
9. Nathan Strudwick
10. Josh Coyle
11. Matt Handcock
12. Kerryn Blake
13. Shaun Cotter

14. Tyson Andrews
15. Michael Spence
16. Tommy Butterfield
17. Tariq Sims

Big Pete

Referee
Nice work there girvie!

Can you tell me much on Luke Samoa, Jharal Yow Yee, Tim Yee and Leon Panapa?

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
LUKE SAMOA is born 1988. Ex Wavell boy & Norths St Josephs junior. He played some Q Cup for Norths last year but mainly Colts U19. He was on a Storm contract but let go by them. I am told that he & Kevin Carmichael did not get along.

Side Step Cleal

Juniors
Ben Hunt From St Brendans Yeppoon, Australian School Boy. Nice work Girvie great to see somebody taking the time & effort to keep us up to date with the lower grades.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Panapa is a big, agile kid who is good on his feet but is more likely to play in the second row or at lock. He isn't really a 5/8 but has the skills to play there if need be. He was probably the best colt for Wynnum in the FOGS colts competition last season. Dodds is a prop or second rower and went well last season in colts for Wynnum along with Guy Ford, who came down from St Brendans Yeppoon I believe. Cotter has had a few seasons in colts now and is deceptively quick and quite strong, although he doesn't look very big.

Mal Meninga

Bench
What happened to Rodney Davies? Got picked for the FG trials last season and QLD u19s. Pretty sure he was a regular scorer for Aspley till he got injured...

girvie

Staff member
Mal Meninga said:
What happened to Rodney Davies? Got picked for the FG trials last season and QLD u19s. Pretty sure he was a regular scorer for Aspley till he got injured...

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22960762-5003409,00.html
CHRIS Latham's decision to take the big money in English rugby union could sway Broncos speedster Rodney Davies to return to the 15-man code in 2009.
Davies, a former Australian Schoolboys union star, said yesterday he remained torn between union and league.

It would be a difficult choice at the end of next season when his second 12-month NRL deal with the Broncos expires.
The 18-year-old said fullback was his preferred position in union but he expected to play wing in league, especially as the Broncos boasted Test fullback Karmichael Hunt.

Davies toured New Zealand and Fiji with the 2006 Australian Schoolboys and the Queensland Rugby Union was shattered to lose him to league, the game he grew up with in Rockhampton.
"It was a good experience and I enjoyed the tour and got a feel for the union rep stuff but I'm happy here," said Davies, who started playing union as a boarder at Ipswich Grammar.
"I've only ever signed 12-month contracts and I know there is interest from the Reds. I see Chris Latham is going to England so that could be a possibility but I'm liking it here and I'm liking my league.
"But you never know. I wouldn't rule out playing union, that's for sure. I enjoyed union. I'm not going to lie there. I like both games.
"In union I really like playing fullback. That's where I played my last full season and that's where I'd like to play if I ever went back.
"Maybe I could play fullback in league. I ended last season there in the Queensland Cup and really enjoyed it."
Two of Davies's schoolboy teammates, Kurtley Beale and Quade Cooper, are playing Super 14 for the Waratahs and Reds respectively, and Jared Waera-Hargreaves has signed with NRL grand finalist Manly after a season with the Waratahs.
Latham will play Super 14 for the Reds next year before joining English club Worcester at the end of the season.
Davies has been earmarked for his first grade debut with the Broncos in 2008 but competition for wing spots will be intense.
Darius Boyd, Steve Michaels, St George Illawarra signing Tom Hewitt and feeder team Aspley's 2007 best back Denan Kemp are among the contenders.
"There are a lot of boys in front of me at the moment and I don't want to get too far ahead of myself," Davies said.
"I just want to play my best and I'll probably start off in Q Cup. I'm not expecting too much first up."
Davies is one of the fastest footballers in the country.

Mal Meninga

Bench
So I take it Brisbane aren't too interested in the U20's and prefer the talent to develop in the QLD Cup? Kind of funny to see RU officials crying over players they never really 'owned' ie Davies and Hunt both on RL scholarships.

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
dubopov said:
No Billy Rogers ?? what's the story ?? Is he in the Top 25 ??

He is not even close to top 25. (Probably never will in my opinion)

The Broncos are probably playing him in Q Cup. Players who they rate are within a year of possibly playing NRL are being placed in Q cup & won't play NYC.

Troyden Edwards & Jacob Fauid are two that I know who have been told that they won't play NYC. If David Taylor loses form he won't play NYC either. The Broncos will have a lot of 18yos playing NYC.

Smiley

Bench
NYC - Broncos U/20s

Tyson Andrews
andrews_tyson.jpg

Date of Birth: 6/2/1990
Birthplace: Maitland, NSW
Junior Club: Maroochydore Swans
Position: Prop, second row
Height: 185cm
Weight: 98kg
Rep Honours: Queensland Academy of Sport
Previous Clubs:
Personal note: Tyson works as a landscaper and flags a big interest in playing games on his X-box.

Gerard Beale
beale_gerard.jpg

Date of Birth: 18/7/1990
Birthplace: Brisbane
Junior Club: Logan Brothers
Position: Utility back
Height: 182cm
Weight: 88kg
Rep Honours: 2007 AIS Development Tour, Qld under-15 schoolboys
Previous Clubs: Nil
Personal note: Fresh from a big trip overseas with the AIS squad, Gerard has just begun a science degree at university.

Kerryn Blake
blake_kerryn.jpg

Date of Birth: 12/4/89
Junior Club: Norths, Ipswich
Position: Hooker, lock
Height: 175cm
Weight: 89kg
Previous Clubs: Redcliffe Dolphins
Personal note: A meatworker, Kerryn lists hunting and fishing as the best ways to spend his holidays.

Arthur Brown
brown_arthur.jpg

Date of Birth: 15/1/91
Birthplace: Wellington, New Zealand
Junior Club: Caboolture
Position: Utility back
Height: 196cm
Weight: 93kg
Rep Honours: Queensland under-15s
Personal note: Arthur works in retail, was a handy representative cricketer as a youngster and also likes basketball, volleyball and listening to music.

Tom Butterfield
butterfield_tom.jpg

Date of Birth: 16/4/1988
Birthplace: Alotan, PNG
Junior Club: Redcliffe
Position: Hooker/halfback
Height: 170cm
Weight: 175cm
Rep Honours: 2007 Papua New Guinea Tour of France
Personal note: Tom enjoys fishing and playing touch football when he is not studying for his degree in sport and exercise science.

Smiley

Bench
Rian Cherry
cherry_rian.jpg

Date of Birth: 15/12/1989
Birthplace: Roma, Qld
Junior Club: Roma Tigers
Position: Hooker/halfback
Height: 176cm
Weight: 79kg
Rep Honours: Qld U/19 Maroons
Previous Clubs: Souths Toowoomba
Personal note: An electrical apprentice, Rian has played rugby union at school level and also has an interest in drag racing.

Shaun Cotter
cotter_shaun.jpg

Date of Birth: 21/11/1989
Birthplace: Otahuhu, NZ
Junior Club: Wynnum Manly
Position: Second row
Height: 174cm
Weight: 96kg
Rep Honours: Nil
Personal note: Someone who likes running around playing touch football and Oz Tag over summer, Shaun also works hard on the docks unloading containers.

Josh Coyle
coyle_josh.jpg

Date of Birth: 25/9/1990
Birthplace: Gold Coast
Junior Club: Nerang Roosters
Position: Front row, second row
Weight: 103kg
Personal note: Josh may play in the engine room but lists chess as a hobby and has dreams of being a pilot, while studying at university to gain his Bachelor of Arts.

Mitchell Dodds
dodds_mitchell.jpg

Date of Birth: 3/7/1989
Junior Club: Capalaba Warriors
Position: Prop, second row
Weight: 95kg
Previous Clubs: Wynnum Manly
Personal note: Mitchell is working his way through a trade as an apprentice electrician and likes hitting the coast for a surf when he can.

Max Dudley
dudley_max.jpg

Date of Birth: 24/3/1990
Junior Club: Brisbane Easts
Position: Centre, wing
Height: 191cm
Weight: 94kg
Rep Honours: Qld under-17s, AIS Development Tour 07
Previous Clubs: Aspley, Easts Carina
Personal note: Max is after a business degree at University and has a pretty handy surfing coach – cousin and top professional Luke Munro.

Smiley

Bench
Jacob Fauid
fauid_jacob.jpg

Date of Birth: 16/9/1988
Birthplace: Thursday Island
Junior Club: Brisbane Brothers
Position: Halfback
Height: 178cm
Weight: 88kg
Rep Honours: Queensland under-17s
Previous Clubs: Aspley
Personal note: A handy basketballer who won a district championship at high school, Jacob is admirably studying to become a religious leader.

Guy Ford
ford_guy.jpg

Date of Birth: 31/8/89
Birthplace: Rockhampton, Qld
Junior Club: Yeppoon Seagulls
Position: Second row
Height: 174cm
Weight: 87kg
Previous Clubs: Wynnum Seagulls
Personal note: An apprentice electrician, Guy has tamed the beast before, winning the Australian junior bull-riding championship in 2005.

Brendon Gibb
gibb_brendon.jpg

Date of Birth: 9/10/1988
Birthplace: Bowen, Qld
Junior Club: Gladstone Brothers
Position: Utility
Height: 187cm
Weight: 94kg
Rep Honours: Qld under-19 Maroons
Previous Clubs: Central Comets
Personal note: A centre or second rower, Brendon has also represented Queensland at touch football and is working full time as an apprentice electrician.

Alex Glenn
glenn_alex.jpg

Date of Birth: 31/7/1988
Birthplace: Auckland, NZ
Junior Club: Northcote Tigers, NZ
Position: Centre
Height: 181cm
Weight: 87kg
Rep Honours: Junior Kiwis 2007
Previous Clubs: Burleigh Bears
Personal note: A house painter, Alex has already tasted Queensland Cup football and is an outstanding touch player, having represented the Sunshine State.

Nathaneal Gosche
gosche_nathaneal.jpg

Date of Birth: 26/11/1988
Birthplace: Sydney
Junior Club: Parra Hills, South Australia
Position: Front Row
Height: 183cm
Weight: 103kg
Rep Honours: 2005 Australian Affiliated States Team
Previous Clubs: Easts Tigers
Personal note: A plumber and roofer, Nathaneal also like surfing, bodyboarding and soccer.

Smiley

Bench
Matt Handcock
handcock_matt.jpg

Date of Birth: 22/5/88
Birthplace: Brisbane, Qld
Junior Club: Redcliffe
Position: Second and front row
Weight: 97kg
Rep Honours: Brisbane under-19s
Previous Clubs: Arana Hills
Personal note: Matt is an apprentice tiler who likes to chase the little white ball around the golf course.

Josh Hoffman
hoffman_josh.jpg

Date of Birth: 10/3/88
Birthplace: Mackay, Qld
Junior Club: Norths Mackay
Position: Fullback, five-eighth
Height: 183cm
Weight: 83kg
Rep Honours: Queensland under-19 Maroons
Previous Clubs: Redcliffe Dolphins
Personal note: Josh does the hard work laying paving stones during the week, but likes to bait a hook and hit a golf ball on weekends.

Ben Hunt
hunt_ben.jpg

Date of Birth: 27/3/1990
Birthplace: Rockhampton, Qld
Junior Club: Blackwater Crushers
Position: Halves
Height: 178cm
Weight: 82kg
Rep Honours: Qld and Australian under 15 and Open Schoolboys
Previous Clubs: Yeppoon Seagulls
Personal note: Ben was a champion athlete and touch football player at school, but is now concentrating on two things – rugby league and his apprenticeship as a carpenter.

Dunamis Lui
lui_dunamis.jpg

Date of Birth: 16/2/1990
Junior Club: Aspley Devils
Position: Front row, second row
Height: 181cm
Weight: 100kg
Rep Honours: Queensland under-17s, 2007 AIS Development Tour
Previous Clubs:
Personal note: An apprentice mechanic at Sci-Fleet Toyota, Dunamis not only excels on the footy field, but is an accomplished cricketer and volleyball player as well.

Andrew McCullough
mccullough_andrew.jpg

Date of Birth: 30/1/1990
Birthplace: Dalby, Qld
Junior Club: Dalby Devils
Position: Lock, five-eighth
Height: 186cm
Weight: 90kg
Rep Honours: Qld under 17s; Qld and Australian Schoolboys; AIS Development Tour
Previous Clubs:
Personal note: Andrew has represented his State as a junior in both cricket and rugby league, and this year has begun a traineeship in financial planning.

Latest posts