What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally...

nqboy

First Grade
From http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/new-laws-ratified/2007/12/26/1198345070688.html

Referees can allow quick 20 metre restarts once officials are in position regardless of whether defence is ready or not.

Also referees can ask the video referee to check on ball stripping if unsure, which depends on the NRL reaching agreement with broadcasters so games are not delayed.
Kickers will have more protection with the tackler or tacklers not to contact the punter dangerously.

Goal-line restarts will have a standard time where the referee can warn teams once and then give a penalty kick 10 metres out if the warning is ignored.
The video referee will monitor the time and notify the referee.

It's a step forward but I wouldn't bother with a warning and it doesn't say how much time will be allowed. Just have a shot clock counting down. I've been advocating a 30 second re-start for 20 years.

beave

Coach
IMO whenever the ball is out of play (kicked into touch, waiting for a goal line dropout etc etc) the clock should stop. I reckon in the 80mins we actually only see 60-65 mins of actual "game time". This is a step in the right direction though.

nqboy

First Grade
beave said:
IMO whenever the ball is out of play (kicked into touch, waiting for a goal line dropout etc etc) the clock should stop. I reckon in the 80mins we actually only see 60-65 mins of actual "game time". This is a step in the right direction though.
The problem with that beave is that it doesn't stop the gamesmanship of players throwing the ball away to give their teammates a break. the attacking team has forced a re-start, they should have the benefit of attacking again without the defending team taking their time tocatch their breath.

beave

Coach
well combine the new warning system/penalty system that is being implemented next year AND have the clock stopped by the video referre whilst the ball is out of play. If players are taking too long with a drop out, at least the clock is not ticking away AND if they are taking too long, the ref blows a penalty.

_Johnsy

Referee
Good move, the play shoud be as continuous as possible, limiting time wasting. It will make the joke of a code "yawnion" look even more amateur

Abz

Juniors
nqboy said:
From http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/new-laws-ratified/2007/12/26/1198345070688.html

Referees can allow quick 20 metre restarts once officials are in position regardless of whether defence is ready or not.

Also referees can ask the video referee to check on ball stripping if unsure, which depends on the NRL reaching agreement with broadcasters so games are not delayed.
Kickers will have more protection with the tackler or tacklers not to contact the punter dangerously.

Goal-line restarts will have a standard time where the referee can warn teams once and then give a penalty kick 10 metres out if the warning is ignored.
The video referee will monitor the time and notify the referee.

It's a step forward but I wouldn't bother with a warning and it doesn't say how much time will be allowed. Just have a shot clock counting down. I've been advocating a 30 second re-start for 20 years.
And you've been following which team for how long NQ boy?

The Tank

Bench
I'd like the see scrums cut althogether. It's only there so teams can waste time or rest - that shouldn't be part of our game. I hate scrums, they look scrappy and are just annoying.

The Tank said:
I'd like the see scrums cut althogether. It's only there so teams can waste time or rest - that shouldn't be part of our game. I hate scrums, they look scrappy and are just annoying.

They still serve a purpose and getting rid of them is a huge mistake.

They put 14 players in one place on the field, opening up the rest of the field.

meltiger

First Grade
^^ i've long been an exponent of Tank's idea as well (ie: Why have them when they aren't competitive) but that's a very good point EA

God-King Dean

Immortal
I don't like the going to the video ref for stripping. It'll waste time & in slow-mo I guarantee the refs will be pussies & give in to crowd pressure.

innsaneink

Referee
meltiger said:
I LOVE this one.

Great change. Wish the refs would let players do it more often on penalties too.

Its not fair.

Team A has to suddenly go from attacking the tryline to getting set in D on the 30m line, when team B can just kick it straight to whoevers closest on the 20,m and tap n run.

They waited for the D to be set initially for a reason.

The Tank

Bench
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
They still serve a purpose and getting rid of them is a huge mistake.

They put 14 players in one place on the field, opening up the rest of the field.

How often does a try come from it though. I remember Inglis scored a beauty a year back but they are few and far between.

The Tank said:
How often does a try come from it though. I remember Inglis scored a beauty a year back but they are few and far between.

Take scrums away and for 80 minutes you'll just have two teams of 13 across the field, uninterrupted.

It'd be more like Union than Union.

meltiger

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Its not fair.

Team A has to suddenly go from attacking the tryline to getting set in D on the 30m line, when team B can just kick it straight to whoevers closest on the 20,m and tap n run.

They waited for the D to be set initially for a reason.

It's the NRL not the NFL

Secondly ... It's your own responsibility to ensure you have players drop back to cover any quick taps.

Name me ANY instance in the last 5 years where ALL 13 players have chased through an attacking kick into the in-goal area. ANY instance.

You will always have a few players who are still in a position to be able to drop back in cover.

*Edit - Sorry, that seemed like an aggressive sort of tone - Wasn't meant that way. I just disagree, I can't see any instance where a coach will instruct a player to essentially stand out of the defensive line in order to potentially take a quick tap.

meltiger

First Grade
Well clearly I knew what you meant ... Just pointing out the lack of need for Americanism's.

meltiger

First Grade
In the sense it was used? Very much so.

Anyway, he ignored the rest of the post, clearly showing he can't cite an example where a team wouldn't be able to drop a player back in cover.

innsaneink

Referee
meltiger said:
In the sense it was used? Very much so.

Anyway, he ignored the rest of the post, clearly showing he can't cite an example where a team wouldn't be able to drop a player back in cover.
That isnt the point.

My point is the team that suddenly goes from DEFENSE to attack can get the ball to a player in position by just kicking it forward to a player in front of him....THAT my mexican friend is much more like NFL, than saying or typing D

Btw...many NRL coaches refer to defense as purely
QuotationMarksOpen.gif
D
QuotationMarksClose.gif

Latest posts