What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Violence, brawls and punch-ups.

Do you like punch ups, brawls & violence in NRL?

• Total voters

innsaneink

Referee
Do you like the physical, violent side to the game that occasionally we get to see?

For some reason we dont see as many punch ups and violence in the game aswe used to.
Is this a concerted effort on behalf of the games admin, coaches and players who are aware of the possible negative impact this has on the grass roots?
Or is it just we have athletes more so now as opposed to a typical football player?
Or is it the heavily influenced PC times we currently are in?

So long as they are fair, the "get squares" are the enjoyable events. Then its a matter between two players. Theres usually a hidden story which adds to the intrigue

Gee_Up

Juniors
It's a full contact sport where aggression gives you the upper hand. Fighting is a part of the game and give me a forward pack with the likes of Tallis, Fenech, Davidson, Harrigan and Webb anyday over ball playing forwards.

innsaneink

Referee
Where is the line drawn with kids and footy violence....I'm seeing more as my son gets older, its part of the game imo and a clear reason why numbers start to drop at the 12's - 13s approx age group

parra pete

Referee
They use the fist until they become of the age to use the brain.
Violence is the weakest form of strength.

"Brawls are not started by players. They are programmed in by other people who have no confidence in their team's ability to win by the rules laid down"....Jack Gibson

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
I hate seeing the 3rd player into a brawl getting sin binned. You shouldn't penalise players for coming to the aid of team mates.

But what I don't want to see is cheap shots. Where players are head hunted

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
People who think fights and brawls are good for the game are truely ignorant and do not think 2 minutes ahead.

Think of this, your a father, your son watches a match and his favourite player just belted the hell out of someone and the crowd is cheering that player on. The next morning, your at your sons first match of the year and he gets into a brawl with the biggest kid on the other team and belts the hell out of them.......turns out that kid thet he belted is a girl. Just think about the impact that could have on your sons life, the girls well being, the fumes of anger coming out of the Islander girls father and 3 brothers. The ARL talent scouts put a cross next to his name and his footy carrer is gone all because of a fight over a game of footy.

In saying that, one of the best moments of Origin 1 in 2006 was the Eric Grothe and Justin Hodges fight. But I wouldnt want my son(if I had one) doing that.

innsaneink

Referee
1 Eyed TEZZA said:
People who think fights and brawls are good for the game are truely ignorant and do not think 2 minutes ahead.

Think of this, your a father, your son watches a match and his favourite player just belted the hell out of someone and the crowd is cheering that player on. The next morning, your at your sons first match of the year and he gets into a brawl with the biggest kid on the other team and belts the hell out of them.......turns out that kid thet he belted is a girl. Just think about the impact that could have on your sons life, the girls well being, the fumes of anger coming out of the Islander girls father and 3 brothers. The ARL talent scouts put a cross next to his name and his footy carrer is gone all because of a fight over a game of footy.

In saying that, one of the best moments of Origin 1 in 2006 was the Eric Grothe and Justin Hodges fight. But I wouldnt want my son(if I had one) doing that.

LOL...quite the imagination there.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
If you wanna see a fight, why go to a Rugby League match.

If you wanna see footy players fight, go watch Mason, Mundine, Hopa and Haumono.

Yeah its fun and exciting to see, but its also stupid because its a game of footy, if you wanna beat your opponent, do it where it hurts the most......through their paycheck and in Rugby League, that means beat them on the score board.

tiger_nick

Bench
the occasional biff is good fun. rarely seen in an nrl these days, i'd say there would be 2 or 3 a year now. i remember even 10 years ago you were guaranteed a good punch on every first scrum at origin. kinda sad to see it phased out.

bluey

Bench
loooove it, providing the cheap shot merchants cop it from the refs. (King hitters ect).
A good old stink is good for the game.

badav

Bench
Nothing wrong with a good punch on every now and then. Most of them end up being just a series of haymakers before the players are separated anyway.

What i don't like is a 3rd person running in and taking free reign. Like that guy Anthony Watts who came in from the side and threw about 600 punches at Shane Shackleton while he was being held back. Deserved the suspension that he got.

Gee_Up

Juniors
parra pete said:
They use the fist until they become of the age to use the brain.
Violence is the weakest form of strength.

"Brawls are not started by players. They are programmed in by other people who have no confidence in their team's ability to win by the rules laid down"....Jack Gibson

Jack is obviously talking about coaches instructions.

Biffs start from cowards who cheap shot and sledge, then they are put in their place.

langpark

First Grade
I love the skill of today's game, but I also enjoy the odd scrap, who can HONESTLY say they don't?

In a sport as physical as league it's always gonna happen, so people need to accept that.