What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

STATE OF ORIGIN (2008) QLD v NSW

Willow

Assistant Moderator
F7s STATE OF ORIGIN 2008
Queensland Maroons v New South Wales Blues
----CAPTAINS----
Mr. Fahrenheit --griffo346

Queensland.gif
V
New%20South%20Wales.gif
  • This is a game thread only, therefore only game-related posts can be made here. Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
  • Captains must post their entire team (including reserves) before posting and only those players listed may play this round.
  • Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

REP Match rules
    [*]
    5 posts per team.
  • Teams allowed 3 reserves each.
  • Total (including reserves): 8 players per team.
Rules of play: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

Full Time: WEDNESDAY 4 JUNE 2008 at 9:00PM (SYD TIME)

Venue: The Front Row Stadium

REFEREE: Steel Dragon

whistle_2.gif

**Referee Blows Game On!**

griffo346

First Grade
The NSW Team to be lead by griffo346 into The Front Row Stadium is

New%20South%20Wales.gif

Starters

griffo346 (C)
The Piper
Willow
Glockers
Goleel

Bench

Bumble
Downie
Gorilla

Good luck to both teams

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
madunit for Queensland

The Camping Trip

“Okay boys, have you all got your bags packed? It’s time to go!”

Cartwright: I don’t wanna go!
Cleary: Neither do I, I hate leaving home!

“Come on boys, it’ll be fun. You have fun at home all the time, it’ll be just the same on the camping trip”

Stuart: Yeah come on you two, stop whinging and get on the bus!
Hasler: WHO F***ING DIED AND MADE YOU F***ING BOSS!
Stuart: Stop whinging.
Hasler: I’M NOT F***ING WHINGING. YOU ARE!
Stuart: Dessie’s picking on me!

“Okay you two that’s enough. All the bags are here except one. Where’s Jason?”

Taylor: Down here.

“Oh there you are. Okay everyone on the bus! Let’s go!”

The bus arrives at the camp site and the boys put up their tents.

“Who’s crying? Tim what’s the matter”

Sheens: I’ve got all the pieces in their right spots, but it just won’t work!

“Let’s have a look here. Okay Tim, the most important piece here is the centre pole. Where is it?”

Sheens: It’s there!

“Tim that’s a shoe, why would you use a shoe when you have a perfectly good centre pole right there”

Sheens: I like that shoe.

“Tim, use the pole you have and stop throwing tantrums. Now what’s going on over here Steve?”

Folkes: I’m buying Ricky’s bent tent peg.

“Why do you want a bent tent peg?”

Folkes: Well I don’t have any good tent pegs to use, so I’m buying bent ones. If you know anyone with some spare pegs lying around that they don’t need, let them know I’ll pay good money for them.”

“Okay Steve, I’ll keep that in mind. Jason, what’s happening here buddy? Everyone elses tents are almost up except yours.”

Taylor: It keeps falling down

“Let’s have a look here. Jason, you have a heap of pieces but none them are from the same set and all these poles and pegs are rusty. Why didn’t you buy a new tent set?”

Taylor: I thought this one was new.

“Unfortunately not. You’ll have to share with someone else. Graham, can Jason share your tent?”

Murray: I just got kicked out of my tent.

“Kicked out! Well where are you going to sleep?”

Murray: I was going to share with Jason.

“Oh dear, this is not good, unfortunately there isn’t a spare tent, you two will have to sleep on the bus tonight. Wayne, what are you doing?”

Bennett: I’m bored with my tent, I want Nathan’s.

“But your tent is the best tent here, Nathan’s isn’t very good at all, why would you want his?”

Brown: He can have it, I don’t mind.

“But where are you going to sleep Nathan?”

Brown: I don’t know, I’m just happy to have had the tent and to get the chance to be here.

“Well that’s nice Nathan, but you still have nowhere to sleep.”

Brown: Maybe I can sleep in Wayne’s tent.
Bennett: No you can’t.
Brown: Well why not, you’ll be sleeping in my tent.
Bennett: No I won’t. I’ll be renovating your tent so that it becomes my old tent.
Brown: Well I’ll go and sleep under the bus until someone offers me a tent, or a jacket.

“Neil, what are you doing? You haven’t finished putting up your tent.”

Henry: I’m going to sleep in Graham’s tent. He’s not using it anymore.

“What are going to do with your tent?”

Henry: Don’t care, I like this tent better. Can I stay here?

“You should sleep in the tent you brought”

Henry: I don’t like it anymore.

“Well okay then. Brian, Michael why are you fighting?”

Hagan: He’s trying to get stuff out of my tent.
Smith: It used to be my tent, it still has some of my things in it.
Hagan: Your tent used to be mine too remember.
Smith: No it didn’t, it’s always been mine, you just borrowed it
Hagan: I hate you!
Smith: I hate you too!

Fighting breaks out between Brian and Michael. Craig comes over and puts Brian in a chicken-wing hold and he stops fighting.

“Thank you Craig. You can let him go now. Brad why are you smiling? Is there something you’re not telling me?”

Fittler: Jason doesn’t have a tent ha-ha!

“That’s not very nice Brad”

Fittler: Steve doesn’t have any tent pegs either, I took them from him ha-ha!

“You took Steve’s tent pegs? Are you going to give them back?”

Fittler: Nup. Ha-ha!

“You boys are a bloody handful!”

750 Words, including title.

Last edited:

glockers

Juniors
Glockers takes the first hit-up for New South Wales with plenty of enthusiasm.

Don't hurt them too much

It isn’t easy being north of border where backward mongs believe fluoride is evil and will poison people to death. Being trapped in a state where if you dare criticise anything about how things are run they tell you to f**k off back south. It is especially difficult in the middle of Origin.

It isn’t like I hate Queensland, in fact I love taking money off their thriving economy and the lower rents mean I can easily afford a two bedroom modern unit for $180 a week. In fact, most of the time the weather is pretty decent and in the middle of winter women still wear surprisingly little. When I really think it isn’t a bad gig being up here for a few years because of work.

I must admit it wasn’t so great last year, just try coping with Maroon loving fools who live and breath for Origin. The whole state’s happiness is determined by a rugby league series. I mean, in New South Wales sure we like to whip Queensland and just prove our overall dominance of every aspect of life also transcends into rugby league. Yet in the end sure we are pissed after a loss, but our overall happiness really isn’t based on it.

Last year I bloody-well copped it, after the first game I just had to grimace and put up with it while half-heartedly saying wait for game two. Of course, after game two I had to put up with the barrage until the opener this year.

Just saying you were born south of the Tweed causes them to launch into Origin pride and all year I heard about their dynasty, their great backline, how they would smash us again.

I think the last two series have given them a bit too much confidence and throughout the past year it has been pointless debating with them. You can point out that since 1990 New South Wales has clearly had the upper hand with 10 series wins to Queensland’s eight series victories. That doesn’t matter though, they just yell out about their new dynasty and start blabbering about King Wally.

I am pretty sure if you look nine months after an Origin series that Queensland hospitals are over-run by child-births.

So it was pretty damn good to look up before the first try this year and claim I think we have already won this game. Especially, when just hours before kick-off, the locals seemed oh so confident of victory.

It is funny how every Queenslander I work with was "surprisingly" uncommunicative the next day. It has been good to be a Blue lately.

But back to tonsilitus, somehow I caught this disease in this so-called sunshine state last week. Anyway I drugged myself up and had to catch up with an old friend on Saturday night.

Braving the cold and rugged up in the rain I headed out, just looking for a quiet hour or two at the pub and not expecting any problems at all. Of course I shouldn’t ever underestimate Queenslanders with bruised egos. I was catching up with this friend and I was drinking with three females, so I didn’t even footy would be discussed. Yet some blokes joined us and the evening turned into an Origin mourning session.

I don’t know if many New South Welshmen have seen this spectacle, when Queenslanders think they are just with their brethren and indulge in letting out the pain of losing a game. It was quite a sight and left me smirking in the corner.

I was quietly enjoying it, until someone suddenly realised I was a Blue.

Suddenly the pathetic crowd turned angry, my beanie was stolen and I was told to get out of the pub in no uncertain terms. A few punches in the shoulder left me pleading that I was sick. Yet it made me think.

Queenslanders might be simple creatures and sure we like to have a laugh at their expense, but next time they lose a game show them some pity. We don’t want them committing mass suicide at the end of this series when New South Wales win. If they did that we wouldn’t have anyone staffing our tourist locations.

So like I did at the end of the banter at the pub, just say "it is good to be from New South Wales" and don’t worry about pushing it any further – deep down they know its true.

748 words including the title

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Titanic comes on for Mr. Fahrenheit

With Mr. F off the field, the indomitable Madunit captains the side.
Thanks Mr F.

I've had some urget personal business to attend to and won't be online til tomorrow, so my newly appointed deputy will be Big Mick.

Good luck all.

QUEEEEEEEEEENSLAAAAAAAAAAAAANDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRR!!!

Amadean

Juniors
Amadean for the Maroons

748 below the jump

My First Origin
I remember everything about my first State of Origin match. Sitting in the grandstands at Lang Park, I remember every single thing as clearly as if it happened only yesterday. I was six years old and had a chocolate Paddle Pop.

I’d played kiddies League at school, but can recall those games only vaguely. There was lots of running about, a fair bit of being cold and, if you credit the exceptionally untrustworthy comments of my parents (they’re still not off the hook after that whole “no don’t listen to what those boys say, the Easter Bunny is really real!” fiasco), there was more than a little standing-on-the-spot-spinning-around-really-fast-until-you-got-dizzy-and-fell-over. Playing footy as a kid was fun.

Even then, State of Origin was different; everyone seemed excited. On setting out there were many motherly warnings to a completely oblivious son, many more stern wifely threats to a carefully listening husband. There were coats and the guarantee of being able to stay up until at least 9 o’clock. There was the glorious absence of a small sister who loathed the favour being shown to a (long-suffering and much-deserving) elder brother. There was also a car ride that seemed to go on for ever and ever and ever. I may have pointed this out a couple of times, but am pretty sure all the responses I had were unsatisfactory.

There were lots of people, more than I think I’d ever seen before. I asked what all these people did all day, but again received an unsatisfactory answer. I must have spent that time equally between my father’s shoulders and walking on my own, as my main memories are of thousands of heads and the back of some fat guy’s knees. I poked alike whichever I could reach, demonstrating a laudable early tendency to not discriminate against the horizontally gifted.

Once in the stands and sat at our seats, under our seats, over our seats, on the seat of the lady in front of our seats and on the stairway kinda-near our seats, the match began. This coincided with me getting a Paddle Pop, so I missed a fair bit of the first half.

Actually, if I only had decades-old memories to draw back on then this would really be a short article. Sure, I could make up a few details, perhaps call my folks to see if they could bypass senility to toss me a few memories, maybe even call my uncle to ask about what the hell happened to that free ice-cream winning Paddle Pop stick I so innocently entrusted him with. Fortunately however, even at the age of six I was keeping a detailed journal of my thoughts and experiences. Not voluntarily of course, it was homework:

I was sitting with my Dad and my Uncle and my Cousin who is mean and always gets me in trouble for things I never did even though she always says I did do but really it was her. We were watching Wally Lewis [picture of crown] who was playing really good and everyone was shouting at him to keep playing good. He made lots of tries and even though all the bad blue guys kept trying to stop him making tries he kept making them anyway. He’s a friend of my Dad’s and he always comes over to teach me how to play footy and that’s why I’m so good.

Anyway, Wally Lewis [picture of me with crown] was going to make another try when all of the blue guys jumped on him and everyone shouted BOO, so the stupid ref made everyone start playing again. Then all the blue guys went off the field and lots of Tyrannosaurus Rexes and robots came on. They all chased Wally Lewis [picture of crown] but then my Dad and me and my Uncle but not my cousin all ran down to help him. And we were doing really good and Wally Lewis made some more tries until the Tyrannosaurus Rexes who were really robots with big lasers going zzzzzaaaaappppp all the time started to eat everyone and I had to hide until they stopped. But I found a really good hiding place that they couldn’t find me in and there were lots of ice-creams and things.

And then we won and I went home with my Dad and Wally Lewis [picture of Dad, Wally and me with crowns] and all the Tyrannosaurus Rexes were dead and so were the blue guys.

Last edited:

griffo346

First Grade
Rugby League World Cup

The Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) -formerly International Rugby League Board- is the international governing body of rugby league and was originally set up on 25th January 1948 at Bordeaux, France on the impetus of the French. Its headquarters are currently based in Sydney, Australia, and its current chairman is Colin Love AM. The RLIF is responsible for the organization and governance of all of rugby league's major international tournaments, most notably the Rugby League World Cup, and intercontinental competitions such as the World Club Challenge.

Well what would sports be without rivalries even more noticeable rivalries with different countries and well the NRL has that in an abundance the clear one’s are Australia and New Zealand to a slightly lesser degree Australia and England and from there in kind of fades away to the likes of Samoa, Fiji and Papua New Guinea.

I have to wonder how much longer the international game is going to be profitable, it’s still a highlight on the NRL calendar however not on the calendar of its supporters, how many people now eagerly await Australia against New Zealand answer well not many how bout Australia against England well even less, lets be honest the NRL has done little to advertise the game.

The most I recall hearing is Australia play New Zealand on Friday night and the kiwi’s turned up late to some meeting between the two nations, I personally couldn’t tell you what the meeting was about, for that matter if it wasn’t for it being on the news I couldn’t even have told you where the game was going to be played, add to that the expectation and knowledge that Australia will win it it’s truly just become a case of by how far, no matter who is playing for either team you know the kiwi’s just cant match us.

Well we don’t really need to mention England, yes a couple of years ago we played dreadful and they got a victory but not even the kiwis find away to lose against the poms. Well can you imagine the score if it was us against Tonga or Samoa it would be blown out making possibly 100+.

This year we have the 2008 Rugby League World Cup to be held in Australia with 10 nations playing this fantastic event.

To qualify for this event each nation has to go through the following procedure.

·Each squad must contain a minimum of six players who have been registered in the relevant domestic competition for at least one year, or
·Each squad must contain at least six players who have played in that nation's junior international teams within the 18 months prior to the tournament.

If these criteria were not able to be met, then a nation could be thrown out of the competition. As well as these criteria, a nation wanting a place in the qualification rounds had to be an affiliate nation to the Rugby League International Foundation (RLIF).

The Draw will consist of three pools one pool with four and the other two pools with three each in them. Following this the semi finals will be made up of the first three teams in pool one and the winner of a play off match between the winner of pool two and the winner of pool three.
The General public gets to see all these players that have exceptional talent otherwise not seen in the NRL. These players would be using family ties back in generations with in family example:- the player may have been born in Australia but using his mums or dads heritage to play for New Zealand don’t know why you would do that though :crazy:

Other variations of this is if the player in the NRL has ties to non regular test playing nations like Papua New Guinea meaning these players are legible to play for these countries when either the World Cup or World 7s comes along.
I guess the biggest disadvantage is the lopsided scores we tend to see in this competition as most teams aren’t as strong as the powerhouse teams.
Anther disadvantage would be that players like former rugby league player and now coach Adrian Lam whom played for Paupa New Guinea but couldn’t play for Australia as he has represented a different country.

722 Words according to F7s Word Counter.
References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_League_International_Federation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Rugby_League_World_Cup#Qualification

Last edited:

Azkatro

First Grade
Queensland.gif

Azkatro for the Maroons.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I’m only happy when it rains

Looking outside the window of my office at work, I see miserable weather for the third day in a row. Rain, more rain and still more rain. It is that time of the year in Sydney, although it’s much wetter this time around than it has been in recent years.

There’s something especially unique about watching the way the water drops splatter against the pane of glass. It’s repetitive, but I could sit here and watch it all day. It’s not because I find the physics of rain fascinating, but the image of it, combined with the sound of the rain encompassing the building, implores my mind to drift away.

The first thing I find myself pondering is the way cold, wet weather has a way of actually making you feel warm, safe and protected when you’re inside. Then I remind myself that it doesn’t actually make me feel that way, it just makes it far more obvious that I am, in fact, warm and dry. Of course I then realise that I’m digressing in my own mind, and I change my train of thought. I look over towards the patch of grass near the road, and through the deluge I remember last Monday’s NRL game between the Roosters and Wests Tigers.

During a rain-affected match, good players will identify that they need to make a few changes to adapt to the conditions. Everything becomes slippery, which means less passing, compressed defence and kicking early in the tackle count. It’s probably less of an issue nowadays though, considering how effective field drainage techniques have become. Back in the “old days” of playing on the cricket ground, there’d be a quagmire in the middle of the field where the pitch sat. Player’s jerseys dirtied to the point that you didn’t know who played for who. The referee’s pristine white uniform - ruined. Boots and socks caked in mud, stomping about. Not to mention the Australian rules-like battle for ball security.

Then I think back to that famous moment from Origin in 1984, played in pouring rain at the SCG. Wally Lewis puts a chip kick through that hits the crossbar, right on the black dot. Greg Dowling stumbles through, takes a miracle catch in the fingertips and holds on to score. The camera shows a close up of him with the ball safely grounded, and a rapturous expression on his face. One might surmise that it was because he had just scored the try which effectively secured the win for the Maroons. But maybe - just maybe - it was that he could switch off and relax for just a second. Forgetting about the fact he was playing in a high pressure representative match against the enemy south of the border. Perhaps he remembered that feeling of being a kid again, playing around in the park with the other kids and getting soaking wet.

There is something about being a kid and playing in the rain. My mind wanders back to my own childhood, and how wonderful it felt as a kid. When you were bored at home and suddenly the heavens opened up. If your mate was there, you’d jump straight on your bikes and ride down the road in the rain to the park with the footy. Barefoot, of course, so you could feel the soft grass squishing under your feet. Pure bliss …

Suddenly someone walks into the office and I snap out of my daydream. I’m so lost I make a clumsy attempt to turn back to the computer quickly and make out like I’m focused on work. It takes me a few moments to click around and remember what it was I was doing. I settle back into it and think about how deeply lost I was in that daydream. And I ponder for a moment, and realise why it was so hard to re-adjust. The memories, the times; being a kid, playing in the rain and getting soaked just for the heck of it; dreaming of becoming the rugby league star that takes a miracle catch in the mud to score the winning try for my team. Now here I am at a computer, working full time, behaving myself so I can support my family.

I look out the window again, and ponder. My kids will be out there one day playing in that rain. Life changes so much, but it’s still the same dream, in the same rain…

---------------------------------------------------------------

747 words. Liftoff!

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow | Proudly NSW
New%20South%20Wales.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Time traveller

Frank was thought to have died in the 'Great War' of 1914-1918.

A proud Newtown lad and rugby league pioneer, Frank played in the rebel series against the 'All Golds' in 1907. Along with a number of trail-blazers, he turned professional in 1908. He was selected in the second-row to play for Australia.

The advent of war put a stop to Frank's career.

In 1915, he was injured in Gallipoli and was then reported as missing while in Egypt. It was assumed that Frank was reluctant to burden his fellow Anzacs and family back home, and he simply wandered off into the desert to die from his wounds.

But this young digger didn't die.

Truth is, Frank was frozen in time.

In 2008, archeologists uncovered a cenotaph and amazingly found Frank, preserved by the ancients. Upon being awakened, Frank had been cured of all ailments, and he was as fit as any man around him. Governments sought to cover it up but eventually the news leaked out. After much debate, Frank was allowed to return home to Australia and receive a hero's welcome.

After the fanfare died down, Frank decided to check out a past love, rugby league. He was introduced to television and was amazed by the openness of the 10-metre rule... but he questioned the forward play.

“The referee shouldn't have called held!” he exclaimed. “The bloke being tackled was still being forced back!”

After watching just one game, Frank called up his old Newtown club to see if they needed any players. Initially, our time traveller was shocked to learn that his beloved Bluebags had been relegated, but he still wanted to play.

Frank was a stand-out at training. He was fitter and stronger than in 1908 and gave credit to his interstellar saviors. He could run as fast as any modern player. During one set move he ran some 40 metres in near record time. He had all the hallmarks to further his career as a champion backrower.

The Newtown club had no hesitation in naming Frank for their next NSW Cup fixture. They handed him a rule book and told him to 'do some reading'. That would have been OK, but no one thought to ask Frank if he could read. Alas, Frank was illiterate, a not too uncommon reality for the working-class man in 1908. Of course, Frank's pride dictated that he keep this fact to himself.

On match day, a packed house was on hand to see this miracle man from the past.

Frank's first touch of the ball was a success, he ran hard and almost broke the line. He played the ball, but to everyone's confusion, he drove forward in the same movement, knocking a shocked marker on his back. An equally perplexed referee simply called 'play on'.

To their credit, Newtown teammates went to some length to look out for Frank. But when he was stuck with the ball on the last tackle, and ignored calls to kick, tempers started to fray. His captain quickly took him aside and explained that unlimited tackles were a thing of the past.

Frank defended hard and tackled low.

But he had trouble getting back onside and was eventually penalised. He was penalised again for striking at the ball in the play-the-ball area, to which he replied, “Struth! **** that!”

Nevertheless, Frank showed great ability in cover defence and saved at least two tries wide of the ruck, putting some of his less passionate teammates to shame.

In the second half, Frank found his smarts and looked to be getting the hang of the rules. He read the play well and knew the opposition had a habit of delivering up-and-unders late in the tackle count.

Frank readied himself when the ball hit the heavens, and grinned when he thought he was behind his '25-yard' line. He caught the ball on the full, raised his hand and called the mark - a 'fair catch' in the old days - and then relaxed in readiness for the 'free kick'...

Suffice to say, an unsuspecting Frank was smashed by several chasers.

Despite the fact that he was still playing to an old rule book, a number of NRL clubs called Frank with offers of re-education and a new lease of life. But always the gentleman, Frank politely declined, humbly declaring that he didn't wish to be a burden on anyone.

Frank was last seen wandering off into the Simpson Desert... perhaps in search of a greater wisdom.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

|750 words|

REF: Rugby League Laws of the Game
http://www.showroom.com.au/dragons/laws.htm

Last edited:

The Piper

Juniors
New%20South%20Wales.gif
Playing the ball in the sky blue is The Piper

------------------------------------------------------------

Choose Your Own Adventure
THE RETURN OF THE RABBITS OF OLD

Page 1

You and your fellow South Sydney Rabbitohs rugby league players run out onto ANZ Stadium for the very first time this 2008 season. The adrenaline ran high through you as the Sydney Roosters took the field for the much anticipated match up. So it should have been, with your team collecting seventh spot on the table last year and your local Sydney rivals ending the 2007 season off well. The screaming crowd and high pitched whistle of the referee merged together in a blur of sound as the ball was kicked off and ninety minutes of high paced footy lay ahead.
It wasn’t long into the game that star recruit Craig Wing, his first game for Souths after returning from the Roosters, was injured in a cringe worthy tackle. He was taken off urgently. You knew from Wing’s face that he wasn’t coming back in a hurry. It would be several months until he threw the green and red jersey back on. It was a pain stacking 34 to 20 walloping in the end. You fell bruised, broken and that this could be the start of a long year.
It was. You would be involved in many loses before finally, a tough fought victory came your way.

Got to the next page

-------------------------

Page 2

Round 3 saw the Rabbitohs head out west to take on the Penrith Panthers. Neither your side nor the opposition had notched up a win this year. Another highly anticipated match against the Bulldogs became another farce, as you were done 25 to 12. There were high hopes for Souths to claim two competition points at CUA Stadium, but you were embarrassed again as the wooden spooners collect their first success 26-22. Although you put up an excellent comeback, it was not enough and there you sat, bottom of the ladder once more.

If you choose to play in Round 4 versus the Sea Eagles at Brookvale, go to the next page
If you choose to play in Round 8 versus the Cowboys at ANZ, go to page 4

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 3

Unless you’re a Manly fan (or Roosters supporter) you don’t want to revisit this match, where the Rabbitohs could only land one simple penalty goal and you were beaten 20 to 2. The suggestion is you go to the next page…

--------------

Page 4

It was the right day to be on the same side as Beau Champion and John Sutton. You even managed to pass the “perfect” pass out to the centre to put him away for one of his pair of four pointers. Your high fives to the lock forward were very genuine too, as he racked up eight points himself. It wasn’t all smooth sailing and the match wasn’t won until the final siren sounded across the ground. It was a ground where relieved Rabbitohs fans had filled to some capacity. You, too, were more at ease after a win. Was this the game that would turn Souths around?

If you choose to accompany Russell Crowe to his behind close doors meetings,
go to page 12

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 12

Nobody but the small amount of people that came together at a popular inner Sydney nightspot to speak to part owner of the Souths club, Russell Crowe. Crowe began with the upsetting news that former international Luke Lewis had opted out of the four year deal with the Rabbitohs to stay with his current club, Penrith. You sat back and rarely spoke through the discussion and arguments. There was talk on CEOs, chairmen, Trent Barrett and even football consultants for current coach Jason Taylor. Gosford was brought up and abruptly forgotten about. On the way out, you spotted several media groups filming the select group leaving the premises. You left trying to consider what had come out of the behind close doors meeting. Unfortunately for you and the South Sydney Football Club, all you came to understand was that Crowe and his co-owner of the club, Peter Holmes A Court, were not on the same page anymore. You couldn’t pinpoint many positives that would console fans, sponsors and your teammates.

If you choose to courageously continue supporting the South Sydney Rabbitohs,
go to Mt Smart Stadium, Friday June 6th at 6pm to see them take on the Warriors.

There are currently 730 words in my article

Titanic

First Grade
"Quickly Titanic, your captain Mr Fahrenheit has been viciously kicked in his celsius and needs to be subbed - hurry up!" Crikes, I'm so excited I pulled my lucky "I've been to Currumbin Bird Sanctuary" g-string on backwards. I dis-entangle the jewels, the string, pull on my socks, slide ever so snugly into the little maroon piece they gave me and stride ever so manfully onto the Stage for Queensland ... (750 words OWC below the bikini line).

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

wally.jpg

IMMORTAL CLEARED

THE rugby league world breathed a collective sigh of relief today when Supreme Court Judge, Justice Fothering-Smythe, handed down what can only be described as a landmark decision.

Fittingly, as the final preparations for Origin II were being completed at Suncorp Stadium, only a few short kilometers away fulltime was blown on one of rugby league’s most controversial pieces of history.

The ARL had instigated an investigation, lasting nearly twenty years, into claims made that legendary Queensland and Australia captain Wally Lewis was a ‘wanker’. The accusations first surfaced in 1989 at Lang Park, after Mr. Lewis had led Queensland onto the field for the second State of Origin.

Amid emotionally charged scenes, NSW fan Michael Hunt, then 22, sensationally exclaimed "Wally’s a wanker" as he stood for the national anthem. Later in the match, when Lewis scored a typically majestic solo try to wrap up the match for Queensland, Hunt repeated his accusation, alternately chanting "Wally’s a wanker" and clapping five times as he beat a hasty exit.

It is not known what evidence Hunt produced to support his claims in a closed hearing on July 9, 1989 at the ARL bunker in Phillip Street. If the charges had been upheld Lewis would have been struck from the Rugby League Players Association with immediate effect. Being a ‘wanker’ is prohibited under Law 12.3b of the player’s code, along with being an unclean illegitimate person, a gutless turd or like a big sheila.

Mr. Lewis, now 48, has refused to comment on the allegations thus far, but his lawyer released a statement soon after the investigation commenced, saying: "Walter is sickened and appalled by this accusation, which he unequivocally denies, and plans to fight every step of the way.”

"While my client may have experimented in his youth, we stringently defend his right to the private life he had before becoming a public figure. We ask that you respect his and his family’s privacy during this difficult time." Sadly, this “difficult time” lasted two decades.

However, more questions were raised during the course of the investigation when it was revealed that this was not the first time the accusation had been levelled at Lewis. Rumours of being a ‘wanker’ had surrounded him since he led the Kangaroos to a 3-0 whitewash of the British Lions, culminating at the SCG in 1984.

"Wal..."

the pro NSW lobby repeatedly rained down on him in unison

"...lee’s a wanker", they continued in a melodic fashion, with some even pointing at him to eliminate any ambiguity as to which player they were describing.

The late Senator Ron McAuliffe, described by many as the Father of Origin, dubbed Lewis “the High Priest of the Spectacular” in the well respected rugby league coaching DVD “Lewis on League”. “How could such a saintly person, ordained by the elite, possibly be a ‘wanker’ “, argued Lewis’ legal team. Prominent identities were rolled out in defense of the Emperor of Lang Park as the case dragged on.

Brisbane State High’s headmaster stated recently that Lewis was always available to help out his old school without charging any appearance fees. “Wally a ‘wanker’? Not in my book. No, he’s the King,” he remonstrated. Lewis’ community mindedness was further demonstrated in testimony provided by various charity organizations, confirming his regal status.

Lewis, a television sports commentator, succumbed to the pressure of this malicious character slur, when he publicly admitted to suffering from deep depression and underwent delicate corrective surgery for his previously undisclosed battle with epilepsy.

Now, finally, the courtroom drama, the public debate and the ensuing ridicule have all been laid to rest for the long-suffering Lewis family. Fothering-Smythe ruled in favour of Lewis, passing judgement that Mike Hunt must make a public apology, wash his mouth out with Ajax and clean the Queensland sheds after each Origin for five years.

When we contacted Lewis’ nemesis, we found that he was subdued but unrepentant. He stated gloomily, “I was just so pissed off at Lewis. In fact, it was my ex-girlfriend who gave me the tip but she left me for a Gavin Miller look-alike.”

“I think I’ve jinxed myself. This morning I waited fourteen minutes to use an ATM that only gave out fivers, and I came home from the supermarket with a Kellogg’s Variety Pack containing two boxes of friggin’ Rice Bubbles and no bloody Coco Pops. If I fell into a barrel of boobs I’d come out sucking my thumb.”

… crikey, what a ‘wanker’.

Last edited:

Downie

Guest Moderator
Brett Finch/Downie runs onto the field just before kick off as a late sub for goleel.

-----------

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

I was originally going to write this article looking at the pro’s and con’s of being a Manly supporter, but then decided the same ideas of supporting the most hated team in the competition could be used in the larger scale of supporting what seems to be the most hated sport in Australia. Despite the fact I consider rugby league the greatest sport of all, there are certain people in the media that disagree and love to bring rugby league into disrepute, meaning casual fans and those with a passing interest in league who do not follow it as fanatically as others and therefore don’t understand what is truly happening see these opinions and take them as gospel, thus creating a bad image for the game. One has to look no further than the Coffs Harbour rape scandal – despite the fact no charges have been laid, and therefore the accused parties are legally innocent, many members of the general public still consider rugby league to be home to sexual predators.

To start with, I’ll look at what I find the ‘good’ of rugby league. This is easy - the sport itself. The amount of entertainment I get out of watching a match of rugby league is unrivalled, and I am more passionate about my beloved Sea Eagles than anything else. I feel more emotions over the eighty minutes of a match, ranging from joy to despair, excitement to frustration, than the rest of the week combined. Rugby league is something that I – and many others – love and are extremely passionate about. On top of this, there are numerous athletes in the game who spend a large proportion of their free time helping out those in need – these are the true champions of the game. Unfortunately there are those in the media who don’t share our interest and seem to see it as their number one priority to drag our game into the ground.

This is the ‘bad’ of being a rugby league supporter. The NRL appears to have certain influential enemies in the media, whose grossly misinformed opinions manipulate those of the general public to believe rugby league is a game played by thugs, for thugs and the sooner it is no longer a part of Australian culture the better. I won’t name any names, but the majority of those reading this would know who this is directed at, having seen these same people bring nothing but disrepute to the game through newspaper articles, internet blogs and radio and television interviews. For instance, I visited an aunty last week with no affection for any code saying that, after reading the outbreak of anti-league propaganda following Origin One, in about five years time league will no longer be a national sporting competition. Having no such say ourselves, this brings nothing but a feeling of helplessness as we see our much-loved sport spat on with barely a raised fist from our own leading and prominent figures. To further this, the “true champions” of the game previously mentioned never get the accolades from media outlets that they deserve. Instead, newspapers give a lot more column inches to rugby league’s “bad boys”, as that’s the side of league they want the general public to see.

Finally, we have the ‘ugly’ side of league. This is the negative aspect of our game that can be controlled by the forces in charge. And to be fair, they are controlling it fairly well. The amount of unsavoury incidents, the profile of our administration and the quality of the sport itself rank fairly well in comparison to other sports, no matter what the media leads you to believe. Despite this, there are still occurrences in league that can make you sit and think if it’s all worth it, but thankfully, the next time a rugby league match rolls around you’ve forgotten all about it. Unfortunately, the ‘ugly’ side of our game is highlighted and focused on by the media a lot more than the ‘good’ side which is, ultimately, the ‘bad’ part of our game.

To conclude, as with everything in life, the NRL comes with ‘the good, the bad and the ugly’ and it’s up to each individual supporter to determine whether the good, the greatness of rugby league as a sport, outweighs the ugly, what’s wrong with our game, and the bad, the embellishment of the ugly through media outlets.

For me? Hell yeah it does.

---------

750 words between the lines according to your counter. Go the Blues!

Big Mick

Referee
Big Mick Steps out on the paddock to get revenge for the Maroons

Played Strong, Done Fine

jack_gibsoncc.jpg

A tribute to the late, great Jack Gibson

Just under a month ago the Rugby League fraternity suffered one of its greatest losses in its 100 history. Prior to what was meant to be a celebration of rugby league between rivals Australia and New Zealand the world was informed that Jack Gibson had lost his long battle with illness. Jack Gibson was a man of great influence on all whom had the privilege to meet, speak or be coached by him. He is the reason the game exists in the way it does today.

As a player Jack was tough and uncompromising. As a coach he was innovative and professional. But his greatest victory was as a man who devoted his love to his family and his life to charity.

0,,6030626,00.jpg

Soon after his death, former Parramatta halfback Peter Sterling, who had played under Jack in Parramatta’s three premierships in 1981, 1982 and 1983 was clearly emotional at the loss of a friend and mentor

"Jack, he loved his players, he cared about his players. And I think the great thing about being coached by Jack Gibson ... is he was more concerned about you off the field than he ever was on (the field).

"He made wonderful footballers, but he also made wonderful people and I thank Jack Gibson eternally for being a part of my life and I know I speak on behalf of every rugby league player and every rugby league supporter who was lucky enough to see Jack in action."

His love and devotion to his players was never more evident than after the 1982 Grand Final when his players voted him Man of the Match. Testimonies such as Sterling’s above began flooding in from around the world as news of Gibson’s death spread, with friends, families and ex-players all devastated, but united in their love for Jack. One of the greatest second rowers of all time in Peter Wynn attributed so much to Gibson

0,,6030636,00.jpg

"I owe him so much of what I have achieved in life and feel privileged to be his friend, as much as having been a player under him. I don't know anyone who has had such widespread respect," Wynn said.

Jack Gibson was a coach who took the art of coaching from a hobby for ex-players who needed a job to what it is known as today. His influence on the game is beyond question. He had a thirst for innovation introducing new coaching and training methods into a sport that was played on a semi-professional basis. He was the first to bring in the use of video technology, the art of science and nutrition as well as specific and specialised weight’s training. His philosophy of coaching was preparation, confidence and hard work.

As Wayne Bennett stated

"He's the most influential coach the game has ever had. He changed the face of our game in how coaches were perceived and how the game was played, and approached.

"That's his greatest legacy; he brought us out of the dark ages in to a credible place in sport.”

0,,6030620,00.jpg

Jack Gibson’s coaching record of five grand final victories earned him the selection of Coach of the Century at the Centenary Team announcement only a number of days prior to his death. No greater honour could have been awarded and no greater man deserved it. Gibson’s influence as a coach stemmed to the modern day with great coaches of today in Bob Fulton and Wayne Bennett attributed their success to the great man.

Gibson was also known, and most famous for, his one-liners he delivered to the media, fans and players. While most of his inspirational quotes were from a Vince Lombardi promotional video, Gibson still had some great ones of his own such as “Kick it to the seagulls” and “waiting for Cronulla to win a premiership is like leaving the porch light on for Harold Holt”, Gibson definitely wasn’t wrong.

While this article has only scratched the surface of the great man’s influence, it is safe to say that no man could have been greater and nobody could have done better. We all owe a great debt to Jack Gibson for giving us the game we know and love today. He deserves the right to be remembered and celebrated as the greatest influence on our game since Dally Messenger.

Rest in Peace Jack, the rugby league world is poorer today without you, but will survive because of you.

748 Words

References:

www.news.com.au/.../imagedata/0,,6030584,00.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Gibson_(rugby_league)
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23672485-23214,00.html
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/articles/2008/05/09/1210131260680.html
http://www.rl1908.com/rugby-league-books/gibson.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2008/s2240863.htm

Last edited:

Jesbass

First Grade
Well done to both teams. This just goes to show why State Of Origin is typically viewed as the pinnacle of the game. :clap:

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Awesome scrambling + organisation by the maroons, in true QLD style we have hopefully scored a last minute coyne-esque try to get up in this match. Congrats on another good showing by NSW as usual.

Latest posts