What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuart Apologises

deluded pom?

Coach
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/7745915.stm

_45234795_stuart226_credit.jpg
Stuart's Kangaroos were the red-hot favourites to win the World Cup

Australia coach Ricky Stuart has said sorry to English referee Ashley Klein for verbally abusing him following the World Cup final defeat to New Zealand.
Stuart has also apologised to match officials executive Stuart Cummings in the wake of the incident at a Brisbane hotel the morning after the final.
In a statement, Stuart said his actions were "inappropriate and offensive".
The former Sydney Roosters coach still remains the subject of a Rugby League International Federation investigation.
"Still on my mind were the disappointed faces of my players who had worked so hard during the tournament," said Stuart in the statement.
Australia were hot favourites ahead of the final after scoring 180 points and conceded only 16 in the four matches leading up to the final, including a 30-6 win over New Zealand.
But the Kangaroos, who had won the previous six World Cups, were surprisingly beaten 34-20.
Stuart is said to have been angry over video referee Steve Ganson's decision to award New Zealand a penalty try and also a score for Jerome Ropati after an apparent "ball-stripping" incident.
He added that losing control in the manner he did was "something for which I now deeply regret".
"It's a hard thing for me to admit but I was certainly not in control of my emotions at the time and acted irresponsibly and irrationally," wrote Stuart in his apology, adding "but that's not an excuse for my behaviour".
Stuart will return to Sydney from a holiday on the Gold Coast early next week to respond to alleged breaches of the 2008 Rugby League World Cup's code of conduct.

Too little too late for mine. It smacks of Geoff Carr advising Stuart on what he needs to do to save his job. Why did it take five days to get around to apologising? Sack him and sack him now.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Ricky Stuart's apologies for 'offensive' behaviour might not save his job
By Wayne Heming
November 28, 2008 A REGRETFUL Ricky Stuart may have to fight to retain the Australian coaching job despite belated apologies to World Cup referee Ashley Klein and England official Stuart Cummings for his "offensive" behaviour following the Kangaroos shock loss to New Zealand.
Stuart returns to Sydney from holidaying with his family on the Gold Coast early next week to respond to alleged breaches of the 2008 Rugby League World Cup's Code of Conduct.

The Rugby League International Federation has appointed barrister Robert Weber, SC, to independently investigate complaints from Klein and Cummings that they were abused by Stuart the day after the 34-20 final loss.

The investigation will run its course despite Stuart's admission he behaved "inappropriately".

Depending on the RLIF's findings, Stuart's actions could be a hot topic at the Australian Rugby League's next board meeting in Brisbane on December 9.

Stuart, who landed the top job when Wayne Bennett stepped down at the end of 2005, was appointed until the recent tournament.

Before his apology, five days after clashing with Klein, ARL board members were publicly playing down the possibility his behaviour could threaten his re-appointment.

But the tide has turned and there's now a consensus within rugby league ranks the ARL board may find it difficult to defend Stuart once the RLIF's investigation is completed.

Stuart's manager John Fordham went into damage control on Friday, saying separate apologies had been sent to Klein and Cummings over Stuart's actions towards them in the foyer of a Brisbane hotel last Sunday.

"Still on my mind were the disappointed faces of my players who had worked so hard during the tournament," said Stuart in the apologies.

Stuart said losing control in the manner he did was "something which I now deeply regret".

"It's a hard thing for me to admit, but I was certainly not in control of my emotions at the time and acted irresponsibly and irrationally," wrote Stuart in his apology, adding "but that's not an excuse for my behaviour".

There have been calls from across the Tasman for Stuart to quit while former New Zealand coach Graham Lowe described his response to the loss as being as damaging to Australia's sporting image as the infamous under-arm bowling furore in 1981
Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24720537-23214,00.html

IMO, he's done for. What with witnesses reporting physical assault in addition to verbal assault, this isn't likely to die down any time soon. The ARL would have to be crazy to keep him.

roopy

Referee
On the one hand i think it's good for international league that Stuart and the aussies are taking defeat like crying little girls, but as an aussie i find it so disrespectful to all the great players and coaches who made up our dominant generation of teams that the guys who finally end it can't do it with a bit of grace.
The myth of Stuart as a coach is based on him buying up all the best juniors in the country and still just managing to win the junior comp, and that 'super team' of juniors he put together has had very few players progress to firstgrade - far fewer than from the less artificial flegg winners from the following years.

The bad news for international league is that the next aussie coach will be a better coach and may take the same group of players back to the top of world footy.

super_coach

First Grade
As I said before the spin doctors will now start the good news sticky stories and all will be forgotten.

The bloke should be sacked on the spot but it will not happen. The ARL is as weak as cats p.ss even less effective than the NRL.

rupertpupkin

Juniors
Sticky has apologised for lashing out. He hasn't recanted his statements that the match was rigged, and everyone "stitched him up". One can argue that his statement amounts to the same thing, but this reads more as carefully worded damage control- the "facts" he acted on are not wrong, only the manner of the tantrum.

Last edited:
I have to wonder if this is a sincere personal apology from Stuart, or one carefully crafted by his manager/PR spin merchant. If he's rung Klein and said something like "sorry mate, I was a complete dickhead to you and I know I was totally out of line." it would carry some weight, but just issuing a statement doesn't mean much.

Even with an apology, I think its too little too late for Stuart. He should have been stood aside the day it happened. Once again the ARL shows what a joke it is.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I have to wonder if this is a sincere personal apology from Stuart, or one carefully crafted by his manager/PR spin merchant.

There is a case for a 'most unconvincing apologies' thread somewhere.

I nominate three.

1. Ricky of course.

2. Ben Cousins.

3. Wayne Carey (multiple offender).

Honourable mentions to celebrity chef Gordon Ramsey for his recent well publicised foray into slease and of course Warnie.

screeny

Bench
I've read all the stories, and nowhere is Stuart quoted using the word "sorry". Maybe he did it to the two in question personally, whihc would be a must, but in his public statements he's not said "I'm sorry", unless I've missed it.

Mr Manly

Juniors
There is a case for a 'most unconvincing apologies' thread somewhere.

I nominate three.

1. Ricky of course.

2. Ben Cousins.

3. Wayne Carey (multiple offender).

Honourable mentions to celebrity chef Gordon Ramsey for his recent well publicised foray into slease and of course Warnie.

add the warnie one with mark waugh about "information on playing wickets"....i reckon they made a few more calls straight after they "apologised"

8Ball

First Grade
Has to be sacked. You can't physically assault a referee and still retain your job as head coach of the Australian side.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He should have been gone by the end of the day of the incident. There are some massive no no's in RL and assaulting a ref is one of them. Bellamy got fined $50k for less. Shows the spine the ARL has, you sure you want them running the NRL?