What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Clubs added to the Victoria Rugby League Comp in 2009

CHRIS SANDOW

Juniors
News Limited runs the Storm and are not going to spend heaps of money on victorian rugby league development. It already costs them $20 million a year to operate the storm.

cougar

Juniors
My understanding of the situation is the Melbourne Storm are exactly the same as every other NRL club (minus TV support form the games broadcaster Channel Nein) in as much they contribute $2.5 million to development and these funds are then distributed via the Australian Rugby League Development body.

Of course it is a much harder task than north of the border given the massive investment and indoctrination that AFL clubs benefit from their governing bodies' investment.

joshreading

Staff member
I actually also believe there will be more than 11 teams (Clubs) in Victoria this coming year

joshreading

Staff member
MRL – and MJRL

Altona Roosters
Doveton Steelers (Snrs)
Geelong
Casey
Sunbury
Waverley/Oakleigh
SE Titans
Northern Thunder
Moorabin
Weeribee – 09
Craigieburn Pheonix – 09

GMRL

Wangaratta
Wondonga
Vikings Rugby League (Benalla, Shep – not sure if they are active)
Chiltern ?

Central Highlands RL

Ballarat Dragons - juniors
Ararat - juniors
Wendouree – juniors

Sunraysia RL - 09

Mildura Wests Tiger
Irymple Titans
Robinvale Sea Eagles
Dareton Dragons

Not sure about a couple, some are only junior but if they were all legit - you are talking over 20 different clubs. That is actually pretty good. Just imagine in the next couple years if Gippsland could get back up. It would really potentially gain some strength.

Last edited:
Melbourne Storm also run school clinics and interschool Rugby League sports carnivals where the kids pay a couple of bucks each, and the Storm send out a development officer to run the clinics...

On the Werribee day next weekend, is it Sat or Sun?? Sat is the 22nd, but the post says Sunday the 22rd, so I assume it's meant to be the 23rd?

cougar

Juniors
Re: More Clubs added to the Victoria Rugby League Comp in 2009
The Development Officers that run the school clinics and carnivals are employees of ARL Development www.arldevelopment.com.au not employees of Melbourne Storm, but as I stated in a previous post I believe Storm contribute (like every other NRL club) to the funding of these officers.

My issue is that these clinics have been in operation for some years now through the Development Officers, but we have yet to see any proportional increase in the numbers of juniors playing Rugby League in Victoria. When children are at school and they get told their sports program for the next 6 to 8 weeks will be Rugby League it is not optional - and for the VRL to claim that 10,000+ kids are playing football down here is a gross misrepresentation of the facts. Once the Development Officers and the clubs work hand in hand and successfully migrate a percentage (and realistically even if they got 5% it would be huge) of these kids to playing club football week in week out then I believe credit can be given to the investment made via ARL Development.

The Werribee day is next Saturday 22nd from information I've received, but if you check previous posts on this board there is a club contact - I'll try to hunt it down later for you if I get a chance.

melbourne_belle

Juniors
Re: More Clubs added to the Victoria Rugby League Comp in 2009
The Development Officers that run the school clinics and carnivals are employees of ARL Development www.arldevelopment.com.au not employees of Melbourne Storm, but as I stated in a previous post I believe Storm contribute (like every other NRL club) to the funding of these officers.

My issue is that these clinics have been in operation for some years now through the Development Officers, but we have yet to see any proportional increase in the numbers of juniors playing Rugby League in Victoria. When children are at school and they get told their sports program for the next 6 to 8 weeks will be Rugby League it is not optional - and for the VRL to claim that 10,000+ kids are playing football down here is a gross misrepresentation of the facts. Once the Development Officers and the clubs work hand in hand and successfully migrate a percentage (and realistically even if they got 5% it would be huge) of these kids to playing club football week in week out then I believe credit can be given to the investment made via ARL Development.

The Werribee day is next Saturday 22nd from information I've received, but if you check previous posts on this board there is a club contact - I'll try to hunt it down later for you if I get a chance.
I disagree with some of your post. There is not 10,000+ kids playing league down here but there has been a huge growth in the last couple of seasons at my club atleast. We were fielding two teams in almost every age group and could almost field a third in some, which is huge for this competition. In just the one team I was invovled with we had a few players come over from aussie rules and a few from union, so IMO the interest of kids is getting there slowly but the VRL is not supporting it well enough.

Werribee had a training run yesterday, had about 27 for the senior team there.

joshreading

Staff member
The internet has so much potential for promotion and networking. The VRL and even the Storm site really show a lack of effort and/or understanding. Official use of networking sites such as facebook would also be good. Links etc. on the Official Storm site.

Personally I would merge the two to make a page with entry to the Storm site and VRL competitions on the same page - maybe STORM - VRL CLUB - SCHOOL RL. RL at the end of the day is given its profile through the Storm and increasingly the Kangaroos and such needs to be recognised and pushed.

It is not hard to keep a site up to date so long as it is built on a decent CMS.

The game that was schedule for Sat 22nd Nov has been cancelled. The Wyndham city council pulled the plug because Mossifel reserve was not deemed fit to play on.

So insted the follwing has been put into place

Werribee Bears vs Cragieburn Pheniox
Saturday 29th November 2008
11am Kick off
Gibbs Reserve
Reservior
BBQ provided

Training is on Sunday 23rd Nov at 12pm at Presidents Park, Wyndham Vale for Werribee senior players

melbourne_belle

Juniors
The game that was schedule for Sat 22nd Nov has been cancelled. The Wyndham city council pulled the plug because Mossifel reserve was not deemed fit to play on.

So insted the follwing has been put into place

Werribee Bears vs Cragieburn Pheniox
Saturday 29th November 2008
11am Kick off
Gibbs Reserve
Reservior
BBQ provided

Training is on Sunday 23rd Nov at 12pm at Presidents Park, Wyndham Vale for Werribee senior players

Hey quick question, is it true that you guys might not have a senior team this season?

degener8

Juniors
Just quick question i live near preston and would like to play.. does anyone know how to contact that team as i've tried a few emails but havent received anything back.

When does the season start??

Hey we are entering teams for this years seasons in the VRL comp. There is a new 2nd Division that the VRL is bringing in for the Senior comp. We are entering in the 2nd Division and we also have a Women's OzTag Team.

Check out our new website for more details www.werribeebears.com :D:D:D

melbourne_belle

Juniors
Pre-season grudge match between Werribee Bears and Altona Roosters next week in Geelong. Should be an interesting match with a few ex Roosters players in the Bears team.

I think its the Bears v Roosters reserves and Geelong Seniors v Roosters Seniors.
April 4th not sure on times.

Latest posts