What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

History in the making as Storm's SG Ball team play 1st game

AILD

Bench
melbournestorm.com.au

The Melbourne Storm SG Ball coaching staff has named their starting 17 for this week's history-making inaugural game against the Newcastle Knights in Newcastle. This game signals a new era for the Melbourne Storm club as their is a clear and definite pathway for players to progress through the junior ranks all the way into the NRL team without having to leave Melbourne.

An original squad of 44 players has now been cut back to the final squad of 30 who will compete for starting positions each weekend. The squad of 30 contains a total of 17 local players which is a very positive sign for the Victorian Rugby League and the VRL development programs. It is hoped that these players can continue to advance their careers at the Storm in the future.

The SG Ball squad have a nine-week Round Robin competition ahead of them with the aim of qualifying for the finals in their inaugural year. The first home game is in Round 2 against the Canberra Raiders at Princes Park on February 21. This game will be played as a curtain-raiser to the Melbourne Storm v Newcastle Knights NRL trial and kick-off will be at 3.00pm.

This week's starting line-up v Newcastle Knights in Newcastle:

1. Tinus Dorante
2. Robbie Kurth
3. Eddie Faamausili
4. Cameron Hansen
5. Toese Vou Siutu
6. John Aldridge
7. Jordan Taurea
8. Junior Afu
9. Herschel Gideon
10. Jordan McLaughlin
11. Kenny Bromwich
12. Sam Martin
13. Jordan McLean
14. Lucas Grech
15. Matthew Constantinou
16. Luke Waiti
17. Jerome Henry

Remaining players in the squad:
Aaron Laasia, Frankie Bruce, Elyon Brown, Mark Porges, Young Tonumaipea, David Maitaka, Duane Butler, Tala Titi, Adam Millgate, Jordan Schmidt, Josh Jerome, Slade Griffin, Justin O'Neill, Theodore Stuart

MsStorm

Bench
This is amazing stuff. Most rugby league supporters up North expect miracles, but it actually takes time money planning and patience to grow the game in the heartland of afl...it will happen one day soon and we will have a melb. born player/s in the team. A few have slipped through the fingers and gone to live up north or to union already.

little_aza

Juniors
on a side note, i met these guys on a tram in melbourne a few weeks ago. mightve been junior afu i spoke to..but i cant really remember..anyway he said they were training hard..and they seemed really commited to the storm. a bright light for the future!

roopy

Referee
Melbourne got up 18 - 14 in pouring, freezing rain.
Bloody Melbourne weather isn't fair???

Noa

First Grade
Melbourne got up 18 - 14 in pouring, freezing rain.
Bloody Melbourne weather isn't fair???

WOW, thats really impressive. I doubted wether theyd win a game all year considering where theyre coming from. But the fact they did wein speaks volumes for the natural talent in melbourne and coaching these kids are receiving down here.

Meanwhile after 20+ years the AFL cant make up a basketball team with the amount of decent flogball players from NSW.

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
Not the strongest Knights Ball side in history, but still a chance at making the finals on their trials form and reputations, so a very good first up win.

roopy

Referee
Big wraps on Junior Afu from Knights camp (see trials thread in Knights section).
He apparently played all but the last 10 and went hard all game - the wraps come from our wrestling coach - and he doesn't praise props too often.

mcgeese

Juniors
im goin up to watch the storm take on titans next weekend
excited to see a heap of my mates playin for tians and one of my mates in the storm side

Surandy

Bench
Another win to the Storm today playing against the Raiders in a curtain raiser to the Storm vs Knights trial. Storm won 32 to 22. I saw the first 20 minutes and Storm were ripping it up, 16 nil I think from memory after 20. Then saw the last 20, looked to be struggling a bit to hold them out but managed to hang on for the win.

This Year?

Immortal
Long overdue but it's good to see the Storm are finally starting to contribute to the game on a junior level.

Latest posts