What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harold Matthews and SG Ball Discussion Thread

MrPanther

Juniors
At the first releasing of the squads. i thought that the harold matthews could be better, but it seems like they are playing really well together, we will have to wait and see how they go Vs Parramatta.

Personally i think the SG Ball squad will be tough to beat with the likes of Seijka, Moylan, Sene, Beale, Alone and the Tia Kilifi's.

:):)
Having watched most of the SG Ball trials(didn't make it to Canberra),Blake Austin has stood out for me.He has excellent ball skills,speed off the mark and a very good kicking game.His work rate is very high and he leads that team around in both attack and defense.What does he have to do to impress you guys?

murraymob

Coach
mr panther you are talking to the converted already on this site are many who push the claims of all our juniors.As the season goes on i have no doubt Blakes name will get plenty of mentions.He clearly is a star of the future

ashton

Juniors
Mr Panther this is what I said about Blake, after watching him play a trial game at Cessnock a couple of weeks ago.

Penrith 6 tries beat Newcastle 5 tries at Cessnock today.

Harry Siejka didn't play because hes recovering from a knee injury.

Lock Blake Austin was my man of the match, he has very good ball skills.
Penrith management should sign him up long term.

Five eight Matt Moylan was another to impress.

half_back

Juniors
I would like to hear all thoughts on the Penrith SG Ball 5/8th Matthew Moylan and also Fullback Alistar Beale?
Moylan is a quality player. He just represented Australia in touch football where he was man of the series. Obviously super fit and has trained exceptionally well hence being named captain.

half_back

Juniors
Lets calm this down a bit....Bryce, Wiki and Jakiel are absolute superstars, i never said they weren't....However they are yet to prove themselve in the Harold Matthews cup I NEVER SAID THEY WONT!!.
Id say Jakiel is definitely ready. He was selected an age up last year to represent NSW Catholics at the Australian Schoolboys only to suffer an illness and be unable to travel. He was considered one of thier top 3 props. After watching him on Saturday my opinion hasnt changed as starting prop he took it to the Manly pack and despite being placed on report for a high shot was one of Academy's best. Wiki and Bryce though could do with a further year of development.

isaiah

Bench
SG Ball Side
Vs Eels at CUA, Saturday February 21 - 2.00pm Kick off

1. Alistar Beale
2. Alan Eisenuth
3. Malakai Watene-Zeleniak
4. Andrew Pelasio
5. Tori Willie
6. Matthew Moylan
7. Harry Seijka
8. Jake Seaton
9. Jake Schubert
10. Samson Sene
11. Cameron Grieve
12. Mathew Penitani
13. Blake Austin

Interchange:
14. Solo Alone
15. Vaipuna Tia Kilifi
16. Kilifi Tia Kilifi
17. Ivan Taavale
18. Blake Riglesford
19. Kurt Horton
20. David Biddel
21. Duran Ierko
22 Juston Genovese
23. Johnathon Pepa
24. Anaru Matthews
25. Joshua Meeham
26. Jake Romero
Coach: Bob Beveridge

do you think they will have much trouble with parra tomorrow?

footyboy7

Juniors
do you think they will have much trouble with parra tomorrow?

Trouble?
It will be two very hard games in both Harold Matthews and SG Ball, very competitive and strong but by the looks of the Penrith Harold Matthews First 17, Parramatta look like they may have the upper hand.

As for SG Ball i know personally that Penrith have a very strong squad, but even Parramatta's SG Ball squad who have a fare few 17 yr olds. will be hard to beat.

Pantha-Boy

Juniors
Id say that Parra will have a fairly comfortable time of it in the Matts. The ball will be a little closer but Parra will probably just prevail again.
Another contestsnat for rookie of the year.
Panther daz and Sandy watch out for this kid.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Been alot of new blood discovered in this thread. Rookie of the Year is going to be a very tough decision.

ashton

Juniors
Hodge scores but Raiders well beaten

18/02/2009 8:52:00 AM
Despite a try from Canowindra’s Haydon Hodge, the Canberra Raiders’ SG Ball (under 18s) side lost 44-14 to the powerful Penrith Panthers at Seiffert Oval on Saturday.
Hodge, the former NSW Country under 18s star, crashed over for a four-pointer in the opening match of the season, but two tries on the stroke of half-time effectively killed off the chances of the young Raiders.
The visiting Panthers, who boast one of the biggest junior regions in the competition to pluck players from, took a 20-10 lead into the break and careered away with the match after the interval.
Sam Sauiluma and Karl Silvarno were the other Raiders try-scorers while Cameron Breust added the sole conversion. Cowra product Shannon Boyd also made his debut in the competition.
The news wasn’t much better for Carl Planicka’s Harold Matthews (under 16s) team-mates after they were handed a 38-10 hiding by the rampant Penrith side.
Planicka sat out the match after being concussed at training a week beforehand.
He is set to make his first appearance for the Green Machine in this Saturday’s match against the South West Sydney Academy at Campbelltown.
The Raiders’ SG Ball side will trek interstate to take on first-round winners Melbourne. Meanwhile, Rory Brien’s Parramatta made a winning start to their campaign with a 34-14 win over Illawarra in the SG Ball clash at Croome Road Sporting Complex at Albion Park.

Haydon Hodge is beset upon by three Penrith defenders in the Raiders’ 44-14 SG Ball loss to the Panthers at Seiffert Oval on Saturday. PHOTO: James Buckley
icon_print.gif

http://cowra.yourguide.com.au/news/...e-scores-but-raiders-well-beaten/1436860.aspx

beacon.gif

Kilkenny

Coach
A work colleague of mine has a son in the Harold Matts for the Raiders. He said the panthers were awesome, particularly afte the Raiders had performed reasonably well in trials against the Sharks and another Sydney based club whom I cant recall. The Panthers will surely be highly competitive again in this seasons Matts competition.

sweet-as

Juniors
A work colleague of mine has a son in the Harold Matts for the Raiders. He said the panthers were awesome, particularly afte the Raiders had performed reasonably well in trials against the Sharks and another Sydney based club whom I cant recall. The Panthers will surely be highly competitive again in this seasons Matts competition.

Yeh they are unbelievably consistant right through their line-up and i woulnt be surprised if they give parra a touch-up tomorrow.

half_back

Juniors
Yeh they are unbelievably consistant right through their line-up and i woulnt be surprised if they give parra a touch-up tomorrow.

Would be good to see and hope they do, although conistent isn't a word I'd use to describe their line-up. Unfortunately Penrith are very lacking in their 9, 6 and 7. There is quality elsewhere with Antonelli, Hetrick, Vave, Wilson all NSW players last year. The biggest problem is playing your one Australian Schoolboy Reegan out of position. Despite being judged the best lock in Australia he is being played at 7. While a great lock, he is an adequate 7. Dont know why you would weaken a strength. Thier delivery in trials from 9 and then feeding and setting up Wilson and Hetrick was ordinary. Reegan was powerful at lock and scorerd in each of his games during trials. If they can sort out the 6,7 and 9 with Reegan locking the scrums, Antonelli and Vave in the SR, Wilson and Hetrick in the centres and Vai up front not many will match them.

Fibroman

First Grade
I used to watch Steve Antonelli coach a bunch of 10 year olds down at GMP(ched towns) reserve about 6 years ago.

He was passionate like I've never seena junior coach before.

I've never spoken a word to Steve Antonelli, asiee from yelling abuse at ridiculous decisions from referees in concert from him.

I think Steve Antonelli is one of the best junior coaches Ive ever seen. i've seen both his boys running around on the field and they are OUTSTANDING juniour prospects. They have great spirit, maturity beyond their years and from all reports, young Jason is a great prospect for lock or 5/8 sg ball or toyota cup in 2010.

Just my opinion. Everyone is entitled to one.

half_back

Juniors
I used to watch Steve Antonelli coach a bunch of 10 year olds down at GMP(ched towns) reserve about 6 years ago.

He was passionate like I've never seena junior coach before.

I've never spoken a word to Steve Antonelli, asiee from yelling abuse at ridiculous decisions from referees in concert from him.

I think Steve Antonelli is one of the best junior coaches Ive ever seen. i've seen both his boys running around on the field and they are OUTSTANDING juniour prospects. They have great spirit, maturity beyond their years and from all reports, young Jason is a great prospect for lock or 5/8 sg ball or toyota cup in 2010.

Just my opinion. Everyone is entitled to one.

Steve is a great bloke and as you rightfully mention a very passionate coach. He has been coaching Jason's Glenmore park team for a number of seasons. Although will be stepping up to Coach for Brothers in the Bundaberg Red Cup (formerly Jim Beam Cup) in 2009. Jason is an outstanding prospect although I think he will probably end up in the S/R long term and will feature in Blacktown Pats talented Arrive Alive cup team this year several years young.

footyboy7

Juniors
Would be good to see and hope they do, although conistent isn't a word I'd use to describe their line-up. Unfortunately Penrith are very lacking in their 9, 6 and 7. There is quality elsewhere with Antonelli, Hetrick, Vave, Wilson all NSW players last year. The biggest problem is playing your one Australian Schoolboy Reegan out of position. Despite being judged the best lock in Australia he is being played at 7. While a great lock, he is an adequate 7. Dont know why you would weaken a strength. Thier delivery in trials from 9 and then feeding and setting up Wilson and Hetrick was ordinary. Reegan was powerful at lock and scorerd in each of his games during trials. If they can sort out the 6,7 and 9 with Reegan locking the scrums, Antonelli and Vave in the SR, Wilson and Hetrick in the centres and Vai up front not many will match them.

Very True half back
Although today against Parramatta, the centre Pairing of Wilson and Heterick will come up against some tough opponents Soane Manumua(NSWCCC) and another big centre named VAI.

I can honestly say that the parramatta forward pack are inadequate to that of the Penrith Forward pack, but looking through the squad and knowing there strengths through playing with them, this is probably the strongest forward pack they could have but we are yet to see:
8. Tai Tuivasa
9. Joel Waddell/ Nelson Tuia
10. Jason Doran
11. Tevita Vave
12. Jason Antonelli
13. Reece Regan

Also half back you made a point of Regan being #7.
Reece has good balls skills and can really defend but he is definately not a halfbacks build or experienced in that position.

Also at Patties, there will also be a few more 16 year olds to debut in Arrive Alive this year.

Flasha

Juniors
Regan is the only person (possible half) in the Matts at the moment that is taking the line on. He has good vision and ability and can move into the forwards later in the game if needed. He is the best option at the moment and I can't see that change unless the other half possibilities step up. He also kept up his try scoring ability against Canberra as a half. The option is having a stronger attack and have a weak defence by using one of the smaller halves or having a strong defence and spread the attacking responsibility over a few players. I guess the real test will be in todays game.

Looking forward to some awesome footy today. Penrith by 6 in the matts. I think the Ball game could blow out one way or other. Lots of points should be scored (depending on rain). Look out for a gun second rower for parra in the ball, not sure of his name but he has been highly regarded.

Last edited: