What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perhaps there is some sense in all of this!

Funnily enough, I was thinking about our mighty team and then it hit me, maybe this recruitment drive is not as crazy as it seems.

With Collis and Morris now gone.

Halatau, Trimarchi and perhaps Laurie on the outer.

Signing Daniela, Brown and Tupou may not be that crazy.

I believe that Ayshford will be a lock next year.

Daniela will replace Collis,

Brown and Tupou will replace Ryan who does need to lift.

If Taumata does sign then we will have a decent squad.

1. Moltzen
2. Brown
3. Daniela
4. Lawrence
5. Tuiaki
6. Marshall
7. Taumata**

8. Payten
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Heighnington
12. Ellis
13. Ayshford

14. Hanbury (to fill in the J-Mo role)
15. Gibbs
16. Galea
17. Fulton, Mataka, Dwyer, Laurie, Halatau

Gallant is the unlucky one here.

What are your thoughts?

Please be gentle....

Bubbles

macnaz

Staff member
I cant say that im exited about that team, Moltzen at the back doesnt work and we still have a soft pack. If they let Laurie go they are geniused .

I think we're trying to build a crap team for next year so we can get the #1 draft pick.

There's a problem with my theory though, just can't put my finger on it...

macnaz

Staff member
Jeeez when Shines the wanker finally goes we will still need years to remove all sh*t stockpiled at our club b4 we will be in a position to start recruiting properly, and even then id say a whole heap of our good players will have had enough and we will also have to replace them. Cant see anything near a semi's placing for at least 5 years :(

NZtiger

Juniors
Can't say I'm excited about next year with these signings thus far.

We need to sign a big name prop and halfback and then we can all start getting a little more excited.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
Who is Daniella anyway? Everyone reckons he's our saviour. Why does everyone throw him in straight away? The guy is a lightweight, he will be suss in "D".
Let's just stick to Ashyford in the centres who has done nothing wrong. Not many tries down his side have been scored. I reckon Taumata maybe a waste of a buy, since we have Moltz in good form and getting better. Should've bought a prop.

I'd have the same backline, maybe with the exception of Toupu. (depending on form)

13. Galea
12. Heighno.
11. Ellis
10. Payten
9. Farah
8. Galloway

14. Dwyer
15. Gibbs
16. Mataka
17. Halatau.

*I am not privy to looking at all grades, so there might be better players out there.
*Not sure what's happened to Shirnack. Came on like a house on fire and is slowly fading away.

Last edited:

super_coach

First Grade
Went to the game on sunday and enjoyed the afternoon but just watched the tape with a mate and really the game wasnt that flash, cows were rubbish and we were up down like a yo yo.

So the point to all this, dont expect Teflon to deliver in 2010 on the back of a few flashy wins at the back of 2009. If we turn up with basically the same squad in 2010 and Iam including our three marquee signings dont expect anything to change much.

I just cant believe Noyce didnt give Teflon the 3million dollar gig at Bondi Junction and do us a favour and lets face Teflon would not have to complain about the cap at Bondi junction .

Bennyfro

Juniors
Props, halfback, fullback - there are definitely a few weak spots in the lineup but I don't think we should be too quick to try and bring in somebody half-baked and injury prone to fill a position that a youngster a la Moltzen, Gallant etc may well prove to be capable of doing - they are alot cheaper which also helps with our salary cap issues.

Can't say I'd be too sad to see Laurie go - every time he gets the ball or makes a tackle I find myself just waiting for him to drop the ball, give away a needless penalty or rush out of the line full of aggro and leave a big hole in defense. Do we need that kind of volatility? I mean, if you want unpredictability we already have Marshall to kick the ball out on the full, miss a tackle, or win us a match! :)

MacDougall

First Grade
Daniella and Mitch Brown are two guys that will benefit from playing at the Tigers. I fully expect Mitch Brown to come on like absolute lightning.

My team for next year based on current form and potential form.

1. Shannon Gallant (we shouldn't be looking for a fullback to fit our style, we should be building a style around THIS fullback, he is EVERYWHERE and never gets the ball. Benji made a break against the Cowboys and only had to glance left and he would have noticed Gallant [who would have ran to the line untouched] and this happens FREQUENTLY)
2. Taniela Tuiaki (what is there to be said?)
3. Mitch Brown (like I said, I fully expect this kid will become just as effective for us as Lawrence. Marshall will put him in a thousand holes a game)
4. Chris Lawrence (what is there to be said?)
5. Rhys Pritchard (these are the sort of positions that should be filled by young guys on cheap contracts, Pritchard is explosive and a try scoring freak and would play first grade for peanuts. Give him a go and see if he becomes valuable.)
6. Benji Marshall (what is there to be said?)
7. Tim Moltzen (a full off season knowing he is going to be our halfback and the kid will become a superstar by Round 5, 2010)
8. Keith Galloway (oh, I miss him so)
9. Robbie Farah (what is there to be said?)
10. Alan Schirnack (he will become a top front rower if we give him a chance, if we gave him a starting spot now he would have a better game than Payten tomorrow)
11. Simon Dwyer (will play rep football in 2011, quote me)
12. Gareth Ellis (what is there to be said?)
13. Chris Heighington (start the year off at 13 and if that isn't as effective then put him on the bench and bring Gower into the run on side)

14. Blake Ayshford (we don't really need a utility back on the bench. Blake could solve any injury in game. Gallant goes down, Brown to fullback, Blake to centre. Winger goes down, Brown to wing, Ayshford to centre. Marshall goes down, Ayshford to 5/8. Moltzen goes down, Marshall to half, Ayshford to 5/8 and other than that he is a backrower, in other words he is the new Halatau except he doesn't suck. I might even be considered to put him in the starting side and push Pritchard down the pecking order actually.)
15. Bryce Gibbs (an honest toiler, still might come on strong, props sometimes do, as is, is a good effective front rower)
16. John Skandalis (go on John, give it another year)
17. David Gower (has got to be considered, we have the answers to our forwards crisis IN HOUSE)

18. Blake Lazarus (I forsee this kid being great if he can actually get a game)
19. Tame Tupou (a total mystery, could be anything)
20. Daine Laurie (really needs to have a big off season to push for a spot)
21. Todd Payten (I think he's past it, if he's here next year [since I've heard he might actually go], he's a depth player)
22. Geoff Daniella (I'm sure he will look a hell of a lot better on the end of OUR backline [or at least the one that I can see].
23. Beau Ryan (I'm pretty sure he is still signed, and it's to a top 25 contract, and to be honest I think he's a pretty good player. Definitely a worthy backup AT FULLBACK OR CENTRE not on the wing, he just doesn't play as well on the wing.)
24. Matt Davidson (Look at the depth...)
25. Aaron Woods (... we already have in the forwards for next season)

In: Woods, Davidson, Daniella, Tupou, Gower, Brown

Out: Halatau, Galea, Payne, Collis, Morris, Dunley

Fringe: Jason Schirnack, Jake Mullaney, Andrew Fifita, Wayde Dunley, Nathan Waters, Alf Beetham, Sean Meaney, Matt Hyland, Jarrod Farlow, Robert Lui

We don't need to sign forwards for next season. We needed to sign them last season for THIS season but next season IN HOUSE our problems are solved (if they can see it as a possibility).

We have EXCELLENT potential IN HOUSE for 2010. Perhaps that's why we haven't seen any awesome signings. I do understand there is still one signing to be announced at least though. So I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
Daniella and Mitch Brown are two guys that will benefit from playing at the Tigers. I fully expect Mitch Brown to come on like absolute lightning.

1. Shannon Gallant (we shouldn't be looking for a fullback to fit our style, we should be building a style around THIS fullback, he is EVERYWHERE and never gets the ball. Benji made a break against the Cowboys and only had to glance left and he would have noticed Gallant [who would have ran to the line untouched] and this happens FREQUENTLY)
3. Mitch Brown (like I said, I fully expect this kid will become just as effective for us as Lawrence. Marshall will put him in a thousand holes a game)
5. Rhys Pritchard (these are the sort of positions that should be filled by young guys on cheap contracts, Pritchard is explosive and a try scoring freak and would play first grade for peanuts. Give him a go and see if he becomes valuable.)
7. Tim Moltzen (a full off season knowing he is going to be our halfback and the kid will become a superstar by Round 5, 2010)
10. Alan Schirnack (he will become a top front rower if we give him a chance, if we gave him a starting spot now he would have a better game than Payten tomorrow)
13. Chris Heighington (start the year off at 13 and if that isn't as effective then put him on the bench and bring Gower into the run on side)

14. Blake Ayshford (we don't really need a utility back on the bench. Blake could solve any injury in game. Gallant goes down, Brown to fullback, Blake to centre. Winger goes down, Brown to wing, Ayshford to centre. Marshall goes down, Ayshford to 5/8. Moltzen goes down, Marshall to half, Ayshford to 5/8 and other than that he is a backrower, in other words he is the new Halatau except he doesn't suck. I might even be considered to put him in the starting side and push Pritchard down the pecking order actually.)
15. Bryce Gibbs (an honest toiler, still might come on strong, props sometimes do, as is, is a good effective front rower)
16. John Skandalis (go on John, give it another year)
17. David Gower (has got to be considered, we have the answers to our forwards crisis IN HOUSE)

18. Blake Lazarus (I forsee this kid being great if he can actually get a game)
19. Tame Tupou (a total mystery, could be anything)
20. Daine Laurie (really needs to have a big off season to push for a spot)
21. Todd Payten (I think he's past it, if he's here next year [since I've heard he might actually go], he's a depth player)
22. Geoff Daniella (I'm sure he will look a hell of a lot better on the end of OUR backline [or at least the one that I can see].
23. Beau Ryan (I'm pretty sure he is still signed, and it's to a top 25 contract, and to be honest I think he's a pretty good player. Definitely a worthy backup AT FULLBACK OR CENTRE not on the wing, he just doesn't play as well on the wing.)

Fringe: Jason Schirnack, Jake Mullaney, Andrew Fifita, Wayde Dunley, Nathan Waters, Alf Beetham, Sean Meaney, Matt Hyland, Jarrod Farlow, Robert Lui

We don't need to sign forwards for next season. We needed to sign them last season for THIS season but next season IN HOUSE our problems are solved (if they can see it as a possibility).

We have EXCELLENT potential IN HOUSE for 2010. Perhaps that's why we haven't seen any awesome signings. I do understand there is still one signing to be announced at least though. So I guess we'll see.

Good call on most, however.....

Mitch Brown: Has to prove himself 1st.
Rhys Pritchard: Not sure who this is.
Simon Dwyer: Needs to get accostomed to 1st grade. I like to see him play off the bench for the rest of the year and get his fitness up.
Alan Shirnack: A bit of a lightweight front rower. Hasn't really bettered his 1st performance against Parra.

N.C.

Juniors
Great write up MacDougall. Gives me a glimmer of hope... I wonder how many of our stars of the future will get a look in over the next few weeks - will we bow out of finals contention gracefully or will we wait until round 26 as we often do?

I'd like to see some of our young halves get a bit of experience before they get thrown in at the deep end. Players like Dunley and Lui who, will probably be called on the next time Marshall goes down, need a game or two with no pressure on them. (Fingers crossed Marshall is out of the woods as far as being so injury prone goes though. So far so good this season...)

The same applies to our young forwards...

c2105909

Juniors

14. Blake Ayshford
15. Bryce Gibbs
16. John Skandalis
17. David Gower

18. Blake Lazarus
19. Tame Tupou
20. Daine Laurie
21. Todd Payten
22. Geoff Daniella
23. Beau Ryan

Not a bad side. I would like to see:

1. Mitch Brown (I'd love to see us with a big, strong fullback!)
2. Taniela Tuiaki
3. Blake Ayshford
4. Chris Lawrence
5. Geoff Daniela (fast and can finish a movement...Tupou and Ryan will fight this position out with him)
6. Benji Marshall
7. Tim Moltzen
8. Keith Galloway
9. Robbie Farah (c)
10. Bryce Gibbs (finding his feet. Best football still in front of him)
11. Simon Dwyer (Right edge)
12. Gareth Ellis (Left edge)
13. Chris Heighington

14. Arana Taumata (covers the whole backline and could be lethal in tandem with Robbie out of dummy half late in games!)
15. Todd Payten (Solid defensively and brings experience. Final year though.)
16. John Skandalis (no better options in house and at his value on open market. I'm sure he has 1 more season in him)
17. Daine Laurie

That's just with what we have in house and under contract. I have a feeling there will be another signing or two though...

Engine

Juniors
I think players and managers look at our club as a place to take a sh*t and a paycheck. When is the last time we signed a name player?

Hodgson, Richards and Prince were broken down players at the time we signed them. We struck paydirt there.

I saw enough of Mitch Brown, Geoff Daniella and Adam Woolnough on the weekend to know that they'll best serve us in the NSW Cup as players we'll bring up if we have to because of injuries to the main squad.

munge

Juniors
The team at the start hardly encouraged me at all. Heres my team:

1) Gallant
2) Tuiaki
3) Ayshford (Too small to be in the forwards, not a strong enough defender imo either)
4) Lawrence
5) Daniella
6) Marshall
7) Moltzen
8) Gibbs
9) Farah
10)Galloway
11)Heighno
12)Ellis
13)Fulton

14)Taumata
15)Payten
16)Skandallis
17)Dwyer

18-25:
Backs: Brown, Tupou, Ryan, Pritchard, Lazarus, Lui
Forwards: Laurie, A Schirnack, J Schirnack, Mataka

Not considered: Halatau, Payne, Galea

Thats probably the safe side. And then of course theres plenty of options for example with Taumata going into the halvs and Moltzen into the centres or fullback.

The 2nd wing spot is a complete mystery to me.. but I picked Daniella. I really see Tupou having no impact at our club.

The forwards I think pick themselves. But looking at the side if there was teh right form shown by players there would definetly be opportunities to break into the 17.

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
In my view - I think Sheens is getting the side ready for the next coach.

Leaving some cap space on the table and signing some short term nuffies who will be easy to flick when his contract runs out.

Perhaps he's actually, for once, putting the team first and getting it ready for the new guy.

Biggest loss when Sheens goes: Marshall will probably leave - Biggest benefit - we get a different coach. My vote is still for Matty Johns - Would love to coach and was exonerated from the NZ thing. Brings a young - recently player brain to the team and has been a halves coach for the last few years.