What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

" How I would of clobbered Clay" - Joe Louis

imported_Jackal

Juniors
An excellent read Cryptic. Thanks for that mate.
emthup.gif

I enjoyed that as well Cryptic. Thanks from me too mate.
Mate, did you ever post that thread on boxing you mentioned a couple of weeks back in another thread I read? The one about your support for the sport of boxing, or something along those lines.
'fan-baller

Seeings this is the most recent boxing thread up, I'll ask the question here rather than posting a new thread.
Does anyone know what's happening with the Tyson v Lewis saga? A friend told me that Tyson's D.C hearing is coming up real soon. Is the April fight still in the works or has it been given the flick?
El Duque, Warlock, Cryptic, Atilla ... ???
'fan-baller

El Duque

Bench
keep up to date with www.fightnews.com plus ESPN and secondsout.

from http://www.espn.go.com/boxing/

<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width=629 border=0> <tbody> <tr valign=top> <td width=629 colspan=3>Monday, March 11
All signs point to approval for Tyson
<hr width="100%" size=1> Associated Press
</td></tr> <tr valign=top> <td width=501> WASHINGTON -- It would take a surprise, last-round knockout to keep Mike Tyson from getting a boxing license in Washington. The judges' scorecards are already well in his favor going into Tuesday's public hearing. While there's sure to be plenty of passion on both sides, the hearing by the D.C. Boxing and Wrestling Commission is approaching mere formality. The three-member panel bypassed protocol with an unofficial 3-0 vote in Tyson's favor last month, and they've given every indication that the actual vote, which is expected immediately after the hearing, will go the same way. "I think I've given the impression that we've been favorable," commission vice chairman Michael Brown said Monday."I haven't said it's a done deal." Brown said the commission is unlikely to be dissuaded by emotional arguments, and that he would need tangible medical or psychological reasons to vote against Tyson. Brown said reports from the doctors who examined Tyson in Washington last week have been favorable. "Nothing has been brought to our attention that would raise concerns about his fitness to fight," Brown said. If the commission votes yes, Washington would become the favorite to play host to a Tyson-Lennox Lewis heavyweight title fight on June 8 at the MCI Center. Tennessee and Michigan have also become front-runners in a crowded field -- a resort island in South Korea on Monday became the latest site to express interest -- but both fighters' camps have shown more interest in the nation's capital. Tyson left his training base in Hawaii to appear before the commission and submit to the doctors' examinations last week. Lewis has begun the process to apply for a license, and his representatives were in town at the end of last week. Local support has been steady. Mayor Anthony Williams endorsed the fight because the city's tourism trade needs a boost. MCI Center owner Abe Pollin gave his approval after Williams guaranteed "a safe environment" for the 20,000-seat arena. There has been opposition, some of it unexpected. The Greater Washington Board of Trade, whose members stand to gain from a weekend's worth of out-of-town visitors, has written a letter to be read at the hearing telling the commission that the city's "respect for ethics and athletics are more important than any speculative financial return the Tyson fight would bring the city." "The mayor, residents and business community have all worked too hard to improve the city's image to risk tarnishing it on a fight like this," board spokeswoman Mary Anne Reynolds said Monday. Opponents cite Tyson's volatile personal and professional track record, which kept him from getting a license in Nevada in January and has caused him to be rebuffed several times in recent weeks in his worldwide search for a place to fight WBC-IBF champ Lewis. Tyson's past includes a three-year prison sentence for rape, a one-year sentence for a road rage assault and a one-year boxing suspension for biting Evander Holyfield's ears during a fight. Nevada's decision to deny Tyson a license came after a melee at a news conference to promote what would have been a Tyson-Lewis fight April 6 in Las Vegas. Brown's usual response is that the potential economic benefit to the city outweighs the risk of having Tyson fight. He has heard the arguments so many times that it makes the public hearing almost superfluous. "Since the whole process started four weeks ago, we've heard from all groups from all across the region," Brown said."I don't think we'll hear anything radically different at the hearing, but we have a duty and a responsibility to make sure people are heard publicly." &lt;SPACER type="block" height="1" width="501">
&lt;SPACER type="block" width="501"></td></tr></tbody></table>

Atilla

Juniors
I think I know where C.M typed that article out from but I'll let him answer the earlier question someone asked. If it is where I'm thinking C.M, please tell the rest of the members here knowof the source because it's a great thing to own with many quality articles like that one. Thanks for posting that C.M
Bronco-fan-baller, here's a short story on your query:

If Mike Tyson vs Lennox Lewis isn't a done deal by Friday, a clause in the contract allows the champion to walk away. The Washington DC Commission will vote on issuing Tyson a license on Tuesday. Lewis has already applied for a DC license.

That will take place sometime durring the middle of the night-morning hours our time in Australia. We should hopefully get the good news that the fight will go ahead early in April. That's the hot news around many boxing pages anyway, and I have little doubt it will happen. There is way too much public interest and money to be pocketed by many for this fight to not happen. Early April in Washington D.C is the very likely time and venue.

Good night all - Atilla

V

Vertigo

I believe that Court TV here in the US are talking of broadcasting the hearing live. I say 'thinking' because the huge case about Andria Yates, the mother who drowned her five children, is in closing arguements today, and they've said that they will have cameras and reporters at Washington DC for possible cross-overs to the Tyson hearing. Court TV showed Tyson's rejected attempt with the New York Athletics Commision live.
The feeling here is he will get his licence to box in DC. That's the word ESPN and Fox-Sports are saying anyway.
Vertigo.

No probs Cryptic. Please don't feel like I was prying, as I was only curious cause I thought I may have missed it.Whenever you can mate. Thanks for replying.
'fan-baller

Whilst I'm lurking, has anyone heard anything further about Tyson's hearing today? I can't seem to find anything on any of the news/sports pages.

'fan-baller

El Duque

Bench
from www.fightnews.com

<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td> Tyson gets DC license!
</td></tr> <tr> <td> By Gary "Digital" Williams
</td></tr> <tr> <td>The Washington DC Boxing Commission has just approved Mike Tyson for a boxing license by a unanimous 3-0 vote. This opens the door for the Tyson-Lennox Lewis heavyweight championship superfight to take place at the MCI Center in Washington DC on June 8. </td></tr></tbody></table>

El Duque

Bench
Tyson statement.

<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td> Tyson gets DC license!
</td></tr> <tr> <td> By Gary "Digital" Williams
</td></tr> <tr> <td>The Washington DC Boxing Commission has just approved Mike Tyson for a boxing license by a unanimous 3-0 vote. This opens the door for the Tyson-Lennox Lewis heavyweight championship superfight to take place at the MCI Center in Washington DC on June 8. Tyson, who was not present, released a statement saying, "I'm thrilled to be licensed in Washington D.C. I applaud their decision and will give the fight fans in the District the fight they deserve -- the chance to see me knock out Lennox Lewis in June." </td></tr></TR> <tr> <td>3/12/2002</td></tr></tbody></table>

Javaman

Juniors
Poster Cryptic Messenger's opening text was a sight for sore eyes. Thankyou for that Cryptic Messenger.
How so true this sentence by Joe Louis is..
If Marciano caught up with Clay, I figure Clay would get discouraged and start looking for Angelo Dundee to cut his gloves off.
ps: I loved your quizes and hope you continue themin the near future.
Javaman thanking you for a great article.

C

CanadianSteve

Of course Joe would say that he would have won, and he was entitled to his opinion. But that article was written early in Ali's career, when many "experts" said all he could do was "run", and the word was he couldn't take a punch. Ali's later displays of courage and skill against Frazier, Foreman, and Shavers among others make Louis's comment about "looking for Angelo Dundee to cut his gloves off" look silly in retrospect.

Latest posts