What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonga Squad

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Not a bad squad at all.

Mateo and Paea will probably be the halves. Where is Lopini Paea?

Likiliki, Afu and Vave were all impressive the the Toyota Cup this year.

Mitchsu Danger

Juniors
01. Toshio Laiseni
02. Siuatonga Likiliki
03. Pita Maile
04. Etu Uaisele
05. Sam Huihahau
06. Feleti Mateo
07. Eddie Paea
08. Sione Tovo
09. Tevita Latu
10. Richie Fa'aoso
11. Ukuma Ta'ai
12. Epalahame Lauaki
13. Tony Williams

14. Willie Manu
15. Siosaia Vave / Paki Afu
16. Joel Taufa'ao / Nafe Seluini
17. Willie Mataka / Atelea Vea

Not that bad..

hutch

First Grade
Any players actually from tongs there? All the other Pacific squads have included domestic players.

BatiFan

Juniors
Im surprised by this squad. If they are taking a leap out of NZ books and looking towards 2013 I guess it ok, but you would imagine players like Antonio Kaufusi, Manase Manukafoa, Lopeni and Mickey Paea, Fetuli Talanoa and Cooper Vuna should all be included again in this Tongan team. I hope that these mentioned players are injured or unavailable for other commitments and not turning their backs on Tonga long term, as all are young and can add plenty to the Tongan team well into the future.

Phillips

Referee
Tonga are actually better without Antonio Kaufusi and Manase Manukafoa seeing as they are both trash.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I hope some of these top players stick with Tonga, they might do alright if they qualify for the next 4 nations.

Coastbloke

Bench
Just had a sneek peek at the Tongan other code team for their 2009 matches..

Players in squad - 31

Domestic players - 8

Hmmm...

Just to further the argument about Pacfic Nations using NRL and ESL players, maybe in the roundball WC next year, Australia should just use A league players if having domestic players is so important..

Now, I'm not suggesting that Tonga, Samoa and Fiji shouldn't select local players, because I think it's important that they do..It's just that some codes and their supporters are making a little mischief when it comes to International squads and domestic players...

footy1

Juniors

Players in squad - 31

Domestic players - 8

Hmmm...

Just to further the argument about Pacfic Nations using NRL and ESL players, maybe in the roundball WC next year, Australia should just use A league players if having domestic players is so important..

Now, I'm not suggesting that Tonga, Samoa and Fiji shouldn't select local players, because I think it's important that they do..It's just that some codes and their supporters are making a little mischief when it comes to International squads and domestic players...

I think that if you want the Pacific Island nations to compete with the likes of Australia, New Zealand and England, they should be allowed to have their best players playing for them. If it's good enough for an Australian like Nathan Fien to be able to play for New Zealand just because he lived 3 years in NZ, then I think it's fair to say Tonga, Samoa and Fiji should rightfully field their best squad, even if they are all from the NRL. They are elite players and deserve to play for their country, whether born there or heritage-wise.

Skinner

Coach
I think that if you want the Pacific Island nations to compete with the likes of Australia, New Zealand and England, they should be allowed to have their best players playing for them. If it's good enough for an Australian like Nathan Fien to be able to play for New Zealand just because he lived 3 years in NZ, then I think it's fair to say Tonga, Samoa and Fiji should rightfully field their best squad, even if they are all from the NRL. They are elite players and deserve to play for their country, whether born there or heritage-wise.

I like your work....bang on the nail for mine.

hutch

First Grade

Players in squad - 31

Domestic players - 8

Hmmm...

by domestic players, i mean players produced by that country, not necessarily playing currently in that country. each country should have a certain number of players that they have produced (which was meant to happen in the last world cup until tonga had a whinge), otherwise what is the point of even playing rugby league in that country? countries such as tonga continue to ignore their own players and keep picking players born and raised in nz and australia, where is the incentive to improve and promote rugby league in that country?

so to use your soccer example, cahill, kewell etc are still counted as domestic, we produced them and they moved overseas on a club contract. it is an important rule which we shouldnt ignore.

hutch

First Grade

i see your point, but i think its also important to give countries an incentive to develop rugby league in their actual country. i would much prefer rugby league to be the sport of choice for kids and adults in a country such as tonga, and that there is a pathway to the national team, nrl or even a higher standard domestic comp, then tonga be instantly competitive because they pick anyone with tonga heritage even though they would prefer to play for australia and nz.

putting effort into development now will give us greater rewards in the future. i believe the one nation rule, or at least a much stricter ruling on nation swapping and a domestic player rule will benefit international rugby league so much more for the future.