What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which is the better jersey material?

Which is the better jersey material?

• Knitted Cotton

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • Sublimated Polyester

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • Who gives a rats...

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters

Jason Maher

Immortal
Just wondering if there is an opinion in here on what material NRL jerseys are made from. I know I prefer the old knitted cotton jerseys, but it seems it has been decided that figure-hugging polyester is the way to go. I wouldn't mind betting this has something to do with the fact any design imaginable can be printed on the things, allowing some of the dogs breakfast designs seen in the last decade or so.

rabbit0h8

Juniors
i would hate to play in the knitted cotton jerseys because they would get far too hot and arent as flexible therefore making it much more difficult to play in.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Players jerseys should be made out of the best materials possible but fan jerseys should be cotton. The Origin and Kangaroo jerseys do it perfectly.

Azkatro

First Grade
Agree with the last post. The polyester one for players is obviously better but I wish my jersey was cotton. I have to wear a cotton shirt underneath my Cowboys jersey in order to prevent mass body odour :lol:

Flapper

First Grade
That sh*t that they make the Tigers jersey out of is great, the really slick polyester stuff is awful, cotton is AOK as well.

Nuke

Staff member
I don't really mind either way. I love my cotton jerseys from years past (Newcastle, Country, NSW, Australia), but also enjoy wearing my polyester jerseys from the past 10 years (Newcastle, a couple of ESL jerseys). Both have adantages over the other. For example, the polyester ones are thinner, so I can wear them in summer if I want to, while the cotton ones are warmer in winter.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here know if you can get cotton supporters jerseys these days? I have a mate who's a Brisbane supporter and was asking me if you can get them. He tells me he hates wearing the t-shirt collared jersey (which he's had for about 5 years or more) and is looking for a proper-collared one.

macavity

Referee
cotton by a long long way. dont care what the players wear but supporters should have cotton.

on the designs - there is no design worth having that you can't make in cotton.

Red Bear

Referee
I don't really mind either way. I love my cotton jerseys from years past (Newcastle, Country, NSW, Australia), but also enjoy wearing my polyester jerseys from the past 10 years (Newcastle, a couple of ESL jerseys). Both have adantages over the other. For example, the polyester ones are thinner, so I can wear them in summer if I want to, while the cotton ones are warmer in winter.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here know if you can get cotton supporters jerseys these days? I have a mate who's a Brisbane supporter and was asking me if you can get them. He tells me he hates wearing the t-shirt collared jersey (which he's had for about 5 years or more) and is looking for a proper-collared one.
There are retro jerseys that are largely cotton. I know the Roosters heritage and Anzac jerseys are cotton also.

I much prefer wearing the cotton jerseys, more comfortable. Players should obviously wear what is going to be the best fabric

For supporter wear cotton is the way to go. Warm in the freezing winter weather, long sleeves, V-necks. Ahhhh the good old days.

I just find the polyester ones too clingy and the current round collars sh*t me to no end!

Perth Red

Post Whore
There are retro jerseys that are largely cotton. I know the Roosters heritage and Anzac jerseys are cotton also.

I much prefer wearing the cotton jerseys, more comfortable. Players should obviously wear what is going to be the best fabric

The retro jerseys are best imo. Nicer material, collar, you don't walk around looking like a billboard and you don't have to update them every year! I've got the Storm one which I wear far far more than any of the other 25+ jerseys I've got.

Raudonikis

Juniors
The older ones are better,especially the old victa sponsered jerseys
I also liked the 3/4 sleeves,bit warmer for winter

Lambretta

First Grade
Players jerseys should be made out of the best materials possible but fan jerseys should be cotton. The Origin and Kangaroo jerseys do it perfectly.

Spot on.

The modern polyester jerseys cling to the body and induce sweating and create static. A horrible combination for a supporter. For a player they mean less grip to be tackled with and the inducement of sweat means the body warms up and there are less injuries. All great ideas if you're playing, but not as a spectator.

Football (Soccer) jerseys have been like this for the past 15 years or more and I just wont buy them. Horrible. The only jersey I wear is a 1959 cotton replica one for West Ham.

For my league, I have a traditional NSW Origin one in cotton. I wont buy the modern Rooster ones. I will get a hooped tricolour Roosters jersey one of these days but only if it's in cotton.

Nuke

Staff member
Perhaps the answer is for supporters jerseys to be made available in both polyester and cotton versions.

Gippsy

Bench
For the life of me I don't understand why clubs or the NRL don't make a replica jumper for supporters, similar in looks to the players but more comfortable and more versatile so that it can be worn anywhere. I'm thinking cotton, long sleeves & collar. Tinker around with the design as well if you want so it doesn't look out of place at a barby and you're on a winner. The marketing opportunities are endless.