What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you like in a fantasy league?

What type of fantasy league do you prefer

• Total voters

Frederick

Staff member
Simple question, just trying to gauge whether users prefer a live draft based fantasy league, or a salary cap based league. Don't restrict your replies to just those two options...elaborate if you want to and say what makes a good fantasy league in your opinion.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
both have their pro's and cons. Draft makes it a very even comp and not having the same players in every team makes viewing much more interesting. Salary based ones like supercoach make it more challenging in trying to fit a decent team in and injuries/suspensions are much easier to deal with as opposed to draft comps but that said having to deal with injuries and suspensions in your side without the luxury of just swapping for whoever you like for the same price make it more realistic

Dutchy

Immortal
I didn't mind VRL's salary cap bidding war format. Was the best I have played in.

aussies1st

Staff member
VNRL and NearlyNRL have good methods for buying players. VNRL had straight bidding and bidding war while NearlyNRL forces you to predict a value that will get you that player. I basically like those where you are in a competition and only you own that player for your competition.

Borat.

Juniors
My main gripe with Fantasy leagues is that a player can let it 2 tries murder a couple more than fall over the line twice and score more points than a halfback 5/8 who guides his team around the park all day long ...IMO any decent scoring system needs to include these guys- In real life lockyer is world class, yet in most fantasy games Corey paine kills him ...LOL.....

Love the captain scores double concept, mybe this could be upped to captian vice captain...

Would like to see unlimited transfers around origin games....or origin points to count

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
the bully fantasy has 2 BYE rounds during origin time and one where u just have to make do which is alrite. On NRLCEO i had 4 players in my team actually playing during one of the origin games with the majority being in the teams that had the bye that weekend. Could be tinkered with a bit.

Having my first crack at the NRL dream team comp this year and from looking at their scoring system i like the "metres gained" system instead of "all runs" in supercoach. Pretty stupid getting a 2 points for a player scooting from dummy half only to be smashed by the marker and make 0m. Also narrows the gap between guys like MoiMoi who dont have the endurance but still make an impact and get around 100m per game as opposed to michael luck who racks up 50+ tackles a game but only makes 30m in attack.

Talanexor

Juniors
The one on (removed link) is pretty decent. Salary-cap based, but the values change during the season according to demand for the player (which is driven by performance). You start off with 100 points to allocate, and players generally range from 3pts to 10pts each.

This is flawed though, because you can bust the salary cap. I started the season with Soward and Ellis, who both had blinders, and ended up with a total salary cap of like 125 points.

Anyway, the best thing about that competition is that it rewards things like kick metres, line breaks, line break assists and you cannot pick any player in any position.

For all that, however, you're still better off with a team of goalkickers and workhorse backrowers. My backrow was David Stagg, Nathan Hindmarsh and Michael Luck - very effective in the fantasy league, but would get stomped in a real footy game.

Perhaps rewarding tries and try-assists more would be a good thing. My backline consisted of:

1. Gidley (goalkicker)
2. Luke Covell (goalkicker)
3. Gavin Cooper (tackling machine)
4. Ben Smith (tackling machine)
5. Luke Burt (goalkicker)
6. Jamie Soward (goalkicker, kick metre machine)
7. Robbie Farah (tackling machine - out of the halfbacks listed anyway)

At face value, that would be one of the worst possible backlines in the NRL, but the way fantasy leagues are geared toward goalkickers and tacklers, it worked nicely.

For what it's worth, I came in the top 100 out of about 12,000 players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mig2006

Juniors
Nrlceo.com is looking at introducing another draft mode this year. The live random draft will be like last year, where each round of pick order is totally randomised and coaches only know the order two rounds in advance.

The other draft option is a staggered draft where the order just slides up one spot fromt he previous. First pick slides to 6th pick for the following round, then 5th the next etc.

In 2011, there will be numerous more recruitment options available including a normal auction, dutch auction and straight recruitment.

Personally, I love the Live Random Draft as it catches out those coaches who haven't done much research and at the same time, rewards coaches with a potentially very even competition across the board. I have been involved in the live random draft for 9 years now and would not consider changing our comp's recruitment to any other method....

milchcow

Juniors
For years my private comps have run using VNRL/NNRL salary cap values, and running a live draft external to the site.

I don't understand why people would prefer a random draft to a standard snake order. I've been in random drafts before (nrlceo last year, and VNRL the year they had it before it died the first time (2004?)) and its just annoying that you can get screwed over by getting a few late picks, especially in the early rounds when all the good players are on offer.

Mig2006

Juniors
Yeah I agree in general with you Cow. Our comp has the 6 founders of nrlceo in it so it is a good number and the live draft works out quite evenly across all 6 teams. There are always plenty of excess players to choose from and the player recruitment limit then comes into play.

For a 12 team comp, there will always be hard luck stories in relation to pick orders but I would think 12 relatively even teams is better than 8 strong teams and 4 duds which quite often occurs in salary cap based recruitments when 4 coaches 'forget' that the recruitment process has begun and pretty much miss out on all the quality....

Jelly Warrior

Juniors
I have to agree with Mig on the Live Draft last year we got together with a few brews and the best thing was to see other peoples faces when you took a player they wanted, We use a snake system which I think is really fair because your average pic position is the same for all people, we are going to do reverse finishing position from last year so the person who finished last picks first and the winner picks last.

hellteam

First Grade
Anyone who votes for salary cap obviously hasn't ever played a live draft fantasy league. It is SO SO SO SO SO much better. Just wish Courier Mail, Fox etc would give us that option

Noa

First Grade
Anyone who votes for salary cap obviously hasn't ever played a live draft fantasy league. It is SO SO SO SO SO much better. Just wish Courier Mail, Fox etc would give us that option

From Tom Sangsters blog the other day

There are some HUGE changes for 2011:
- There is a new paid content service (free 14-day trial, then $19.95 if you sign up early, or $4.95 per month) which gives you access to all sorts of cool things - like three years worth of statistical data, full break even analysis and a variety off tools and gadgets for interpreting the data. Of course, those who don’t subscribe will be able to play the game as normal with no affect on current functionality. Full subscribers will also be able to play SuperCoach Pro, which is a separate fantasy game aimed at the hardcore market. It is based on a draft system - so no one team within a private league is the same.
- There are also heaps of developments to the social interactivity side of the game. You will be able to link your SuperCoach account to Facebook and Twitter, meaning, among many other cool things, you can set up Facebook friend leagues on top of your SuperCoach private and public leagues. The psyche out box has also undergone a massive revamp, with instant messaging, who’s online indicators etc.
- We’ll be doing a detailed yarn on all the developments soon – so keep your eyes peeled. I’ll make sure it gets posted on Facebook.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Always loved VNRLS bidding war format. Cant play anything else lol.
Would love for someone to re-introduce it

Spides

Juniors
Always loved VNRLS bidding war format. Cant play anything else lol.
Would love for someone to re-introduce it

Are you aware of Nearly Sport? It has a bidding war option for picking players were each bid lasts for 24 hours but you can't see what other teams have bid on players.

I know your post is from 2013 but I just thought you might like to know if you were still interested.

JAMES_FOO

Juniors
Salary cap system is a lot more fun. I havent played a draft style comp for a few years but I found it annoying that I wasnt able to get all of the plaers i wanted. a salary cap is a lot more strategic and a level playing field. relies on a lot more research and planning rather then luck.

Latest posts