What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'10 | R20 | Sat | Cowboys *28-24 Knights | Dairy Farmers (GP)

Result: Cowboys v Knights

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

2010teams-nql-main.jpg

1. Matthew Bowen 2. Ashley Graham 3. Arana Taumata 4. Willie Tonga 5. Will Tupou 6. Grant Rovelli 7. Johnathan Thurston [c]
8. Matthew Scott 9. Aaron Payne 10. Willie Mason 11. Scott Bolton 12. Leeson Ah Mau 13. Luke O'Donnell

Interchange: 14. Anthony Watts 15. Dane Hogan 16. Carl Webb 17. James Tamou
Reserves: 18. Ben Harris

2010teams-nwc-alt.jpg

1. Kurt Gidley (C) 2. Akuila Uate 3. Junior Sa'u 4. Adam MacDougall 5. James McManus 6. Ben Rogers 7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Ben Cross 9. Isaac De Gois 10. Dan Tolar 11. Zeb Taia 12. Cameron Ciraldo 13. Matt Hilder

Interchange: 14. Wes Naiqama 15. Con Mika 16. Richie Fa'aoso 17. Antonio Kaufusi
Reserves: 18. Mark Taufua​

2010ref-pink.jpg

Referees
Steve Lyons and Chris James
Sideline Officials: Clayton Sharpe and Gavin Reynolds
Video Referee: Phil Cooley​

Toyota Cup Round 20
Cowboys v Knights @ Dairy Farmers, Sat 5:15pm​

QRL Intrust Super Cup Round 18
Central (BRI) v Northern (NQL) @ Browne Park, Sat 7:00pm
Wynnum Manly (BRI) v Mackay (NQL) @ BMD Kougari Oval, Sun 2:00pm​

NSW Cup Round 20
Melbourne (MEL) v Central Coast (NWC) @ Olympic Park, Sat 3:00pm​

nrl-r20nqlnwc.jpg

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
This is an interesting match up indeed.

The Knights

It seems as if the Knights are gaining momentum at the right time of the year; the business end of the season. After a somewhat disappointing start to their campaign, you can expect a red-hot Knights outfit to turn up. They will treat this as a training run for future opposition and comfortably win the forward battle allowing Gidley and Mullen to be instrumental in continuing their charge to the top 8. The dark horse of the competition.

The Cowboys

The Cowboys are lacking that finishing, beginning and continuing touch in every facet of their game perhaps due to the lack of a creative halfback. If not for the Melbourne Storm cheating the salary cap, they would have severe concerns for the wooden spoon heading up to Townsville. However, not all hope is lost - even the stronger teams are allowed to drop a few games along the way and although this may be the Cowboys smallest chance to snatch their last victory for the season, stranger things have happened. Expect the potent Cowboys backline to cause some defensive knightmares for the mighty red and blue but ultimately be unable to keep up with the pace.

My tip: Knights by 12.

Noname36

First Grade
didnt Canberra put 50 odd on the knights today?

40 points in 40 minutes wasnt it?

Yep. Pretty sure last year we got thumped by them down there too, then bounced back the following week to beat the Cowboys. That won't happen this year, but still, interesting stat.

Judging by yesterday's performance, Cowboys by 16 (I don't think they have the ability to rack up as many points as Canberra did - despite our pathetic forward's inability to tackle).

This is an interesting match up indeed.

The Knights

It seems as if the Knights are gaining momentum at the right time of the year; the business end of the season. After a somewhat disappointing start to their campaign, you can expect a red-hot Knights outfit to turn up. They will treat this as a training run for future opposition and comfortably win the forward battle allowing Gidley and Mullen to be instrumental in continuing their charge to the top 8. The dark horse of the competition.

LOL that's such a funny summary. I agree they will be red-hot again on the road, backing up an amazing display of football in Canberra where they scored 18 unanswered points in 13 minutes. Again Gidley and a highly involved Mullen will pull the strings with the defensive rock Paterson and the metre eating Tolar also being key men :p:roll:

On a more serious note though, the bounce back factor could play a big part in the result. I can see the Knights wanting to give a much
more committed and spirated performance, especially in defence. However, we don't usually play well up there. They won't beat the Tigers
so the Cowboys need to win sometime. A tough one to pick.

Last edited:
didnt Canberra put 50 odd on the knights today?

40 points in 40 minutes wasnt it?

Yeah it sure was, I couldn't remember seeing such a relentless beating in one half of football. Can you think of one Charlie? What two teams were involved and which ground was it at? ;-)

The Brisbane Times didn't forget:

"For a while it looked like they might crack the all-time record,
coincidentally held by yesterday's dismal opponents Newcastle,
who in 2003 put 48 past North Queensland with Andrew Johns in the driver's seat".

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/raiders-keep-finals-dream-alive-after-smashing-knights-20100718-10ft8.html

I like how it has to add that Johns was in the driver's seat while we were flogging your side from pillar to post.
Rubs it in so well. 48 points in 40 minutes of football, you've got to be kidding?! But no, it's right next to that other 70-32 Knights record against....the Raiders!

RHCP

Bench
Looking forward to seeing plenty of linebreaks made by both sides. Battle to see who's defence is the weakest, Cowboys or Knights.

you went back 7 years, i went back a couple of hours.

Well you're talking about 40+ points in a half, that's how far you have to go back :) Cut me some slack though, the other one was only 4 years ago :p Unfortunately this is how far back the great times are for Knights fans. Also, remember NSW in the Origin 2005 series? nah kidding, kidding. Should be a close game this week, good luck to your side.

Charlie124

First Grade
I honestly think the Cows will win this game, and win it well. But it will just be a case of too little, FAAAAAAAAAAR too late for us this season.

Having said that, we could just as easily not turn up at all and get pants'ed by 90 points, why not?

Jono078

Referee
This is that typical game of the year where we face a team struggling and play them back into form.

Cowboys to win this one.

Charlie124

First Grade
This is that typical game of the year where we face a team struggling and play them back into form.

Cowboys to win this one.

See Cowboys V Eels last week. I said before that game that we would be the team to play the Eels back into form.

Cowboys to win this one.

Yeah, that's true. Look if I had to tip this game I'd go Cowboys but I'm counting on the boys being ready to fire-up and make a massive improvement from last weeks performance. I didn't expect to beat the Titans up there either but we did.

RHCP

Bench
Cowboys have come very close to victory in the past two games against better sides than ours. Even factoring in a bounceback by us, North Queensland are due, and it's not like our defence is going to be able to do much to stop them.

Latest posts